Sydney

Italy
    Rome

USA
    Washington
    Los Angeles
    Manila
    Honolulu

Does anyone know how the victory city concept will come into effect in Anniversary, because Larry said that Victory Cities would play a greater role. Could that mean loss of IC’s for each Victory City lost or additional IC’s gained (as a bonus) for having additional Victory Cities?

• @03321:

Cities under the country that controls them in '41. Capitals in bold. :-P

Germany
    Berlin
    Paris
    Warsaw

USSR
    Moscow
    Leningrad
    Stalingrad

Japan
    Tokyo
    Shanghai

UK
    London
    Ottawa
    Calcutta
    Hong Kong
    Sydney

Italy
    Rome

USA
    Washington
    Los Angeles
    Manila
    Honolulu

This list means…

6 axis in 1941
    12 allied in 1941

8 Axis is 1942
    10 allied in 1942

…so close to an even 9v9 in 1942 and 6v12 in 1941, unless I am mistaken.

I blame canada.

• Official Q&A

This list is correct, except for Los Angeles has been replaced with San Francisco (not that it makes any practical difference).  In a standard game, it takes 15 VCs to win.  Optionally, you may play to 13 or 18 VCs.

• Really, 15 VCs?  I thought it would be less…that doesn’t even seem to make VCs any more important than they were in Revised (9-10 VC game).  You still almost have to take a capital, at which point the winner becomes obvious regardless of VCs, or else take every city BUT enemy capitals.

• @03321:

Really, 15 VCs?  I thought it would be less…that doesn’t even seem to make VCs any more important than they were in Revised (9-10 VC game).  You still almost have to take a capital, at which point the winner becomes obvious regardless of VCs, or else take every city BUT enemy capitals.

lol  :-D

I miss the classic winning conditions, just grab two capitals and you win, simple and beautiful.

• @Adlertag:

@03321:

Really, 15 VCs?  I thought it would be less…that doesn’t even seem to make VCs any more important than they were in Revised (9-10 VC game).  You still almost have to take a capital, at which point the winner becomes obvious regardless of VCs, or else take every city BUT enemy capitals.

lol  :-D

I miss the classic winning conditions, just grab two capitals and you win, simple and beautiful.

Given the Victory City list, and victory condition of 15 VC, as I see it there will be three possible strategies for the Allied players to follow.

1.  Contain Germany, and hold it to Berlin, Paris, and Warsaw.  Concentrate on taking Rome and all Japanese held cities.  That gives you 15.  It also requires you to take 2 capitals.

2.  Contain Japan, and hold it to Tokyo, Shanghai, Manila, and Hong Kong.  Concentrate on taking Rome, and eliminating Germany.  That gives you 14 VC.  Then retake either Manila or Hong Kong to get 15.  That also requires taking two capitals.

3.  Contain Germany as before.  Take Rome, and then roll Japan back to Tokyo.  Then take either Paris or Warsaw.  That only requires you to take one capital, but also might be the least efficient way of doing it, as if you eliminate Japan from the Chinese mainland, you might as well take Tokyo.

I suspect that there might be an alternative Victory Condition whereby if you take 2 capitals, your side wins.  If not, that will probably be a very quickly adopted house rule.

Whatever the Allies do, there is going to be plenty of combat in the Pacific, and taking Rome is going to have to be a must.

• @Krieghund:

In a standard game, it takes 15 VCs to win.  Optionally, you may play to 13 or 18 VCs.

Practically the VC system is “worthless” in the standard game. You only have to defend 4 countries not to loose which is North America (EUS, WUS, ECA) & UK for the allies. But with the bonus system the advantage of someone with 14 VC will be so overwhelming that you should better give up. Digging in UK & North America simply does not make sence any more. Nevertheless, this example shows that one should better play to less than 15 VC in “standard” games as there are always some guys who want to play to the bitter end!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m