• Is it within the rules to build boats in a caucasus lake? Russia could build a battleship and a transport, which would be defended by the caucasus anti-air. Then when German takes Caucasus, Russia could counter-attack with an amphibious assault from the lake, unloading units off the transport.

Its clearly a strategic folly to undertake such a strategy, but it also sounds as if its within the rules. Also it’d be great fun to use such a tactic if Russia can afford to do so against an amateur opponent. What does everyone think?

• The Caspian Sea does not have a SZ#, therefore it is not legal to place units there in Revised.

But there are a LOT of wild tales about the Caspian Sea that range back to the origin of the game; probably the most infamous of them is the joke of the Caspian Sub :-)

• I had wondered that when I played classic, but when I got revised it didn’t have a SZ # so (not that I would have but) I never considered it for revised.

A long long time ago I was playing revised.  I was the Axis.  My friend built a transport fleet of about 3-4 in the Caspian Sea.  Russia couldn’t hold out so he loaded INF into the transports.

I left them alone more out of shock and b/c I found it humorous.  Later the US and UK reclaimed the Caucasus.  Then he unloaded them as reinforcments.

Never before or since have I seen any thing like that.  Theonly other time I have heard that concept mentioned was just in the name of the Yahoo group.  The Caspian Sub.

LT

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Not to mention the obvious flaw, Russia does not have 32 IPC to spend on Round 1 for a Battleship (24 IPC) and a Transport (8 IPC)

Though, in classic, there were a few players who built a submarine in the Caspian Sea just to signal they were bored with the game and it was over.  So many that they actually have a chat group now. :P  (Google Caspian Sub should pop them up for you.)

Anyway, 24 IPC for a Battleship to shell the shore in Caucasus does not make much sense to me.  8 Infantry would be superior, in my mind.

Now, in revised, I’ve oft wondered about the feasibility of building 4 armor and an artillery.  Seems you’d be short on infantry, but man, what a threat level you’d pose to Germany!

• Re the 1 art 4 tank purchase on R1, it looks really unbalanced.  But, if you move the inf in Eve+Kaz+Nov west on your first turn, you basically get 6 inf free, so it becomes a 6 inf 1 art 4 tanks purchase, which doesn’t look quite as unreasonable.  I still gravitate toward either 4 inf 3 art or 3 inf 3 tanks, but I wouldn’t rule out 1 art 4 tanks.

• @General:

Is it within the rules to build boats in a caucasus lake? Russia could build a battleship and a transport, which would be defended by the caucasus anti-air. Then when German takes Caucasus, Russia could counter-attack with an amphibious assault from the lake, unloading units off the transport.

Its clearly a strategic folly to undertake such a strategy, but it also sounds as if its within the rules. Also it’d be great fun to use such a tactic if Russia can afford to do so against an amateur opponent. What does everyone think?

The Russians did maintain a small force of gunboats on the Caspian Sea, as there was a fair amount of commerce across it, and to keep tabs on Iran/Persia.  Now, if the Caucasus was split in an east-west direction about halfway down the Caspian, which is where the actual Caucasus Mountains run, having a small fleet in the Caspian would make sense, as you could take the southern area by amphibious assault or reinforce it from across the sea.  With the advent of the destroyer in Revised, you could build a couple of them and a couple of transports to shift units around, plus have some potent gunfire support for any attack on the northern Caucasus.  It is an interesting, if slightly wild idea.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@uffishbongo:

Re the 1 art 4 tank purchase on R1, it looks really unbalanced.  But, if you move the inf in Eve+Kaz+Nov west on your first turn, you basically get 6 inf free, so it becomes a 6 inf 1 art 4 tanks purchase, which doesn’t look quite as unreasonable.  I still gravitate toward either 4 inf 3 art or 3 inf 3 tanks, but I wouldn’t rule out 1 art 4 tanks.

Kind of my thoughts.  I just wondered if anyone did it?

I think if you were ultra conservative with Russia and only attacked W. Russia with everything you had, you might be able to pull of this buy.  It would result in more cash going to Germany on G1, but that could be survivable I think.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m