• :cry:

Does ANYBODY, have anything about this new game from Gen Con?

Did Larry show? Did he have the game? Did anyone get to play?

Please, please, please give us a scrap from the table.

Pretty please with sugar and a cherry on top?

I’m also making my best puppy dog eyes here.

Anything?

Please. Before it gets pathetic.  :oops:

• I have pics…

sent to IL this morning and will try to send to djensen to post…

• @squirecam:

I have pics…

sent to IL this morning and will try to send to djensen to post…

What the F…  :-o you sent the pics to IL ?

He aint gonna post it for a long time, now first he is gonna make his own version of the map, and after he has postet pics of his modified map, then maybe he’ll post the Anniversary pics you sent him. Man, you should have sent it to me, man

• Sweeeeeetttt.

Thanks!!!

• He aint gonna post it for a long time, now first he is gonna make his own version of the map, and after he has postet pics of his modified map, then maybe he’ll post the Anniversary pics you sent him. Man, you should have sent it to me, man

you are very funny man. I will not do this because the map is really nice and the only thing left is to scan it a make myself a personal copy of it to about double size. thats it.

• Probably the biggest addition is the introduction of Special Objectives for each country. For example, Italy receives a 10 IPC bonus for holding Libya, Algeria and Egypt (I think). Russia receives 5 IPC for every turn it holds Archangel and no other Allied units are stationed on Russian soil.

I don’t recall all the specifics, but there are 3-4 Special Objectives for each country.

• @Herr:

Probably the biggest addition is the introduction of Special Objectives for each country. For example, Italy receives a 10 IPC bonus for holding Libya, Algeria and Egypt (I think). Russia receives 5 IPC for every turn it holds Archangel and no other Allied units are stationed on Russian soil.

I don’t recall all the specifics, but there are 3-4 Special Objectives for each country.

That’s interesting - I haven’t heard that before.  There are definately some interesting twists in this game!

• 2007 AAR League

@Herr:

Probably the biggest addition is the introduction of Special Objectives for each country. For example, Italy receives a 10 IPC bonus for holding Libya, Algeria and Egypt (I think). Russia receives 5 IPC for every turn it holds Archangel and no other Allied units are stationed on Russian soil.

What? Why, it sure sounds like we are about to experience something rather different from Revised here!  :-o
    Can’t make up my mind wheter it’s a good thing or a bad thing. Someone please help me form an opinion about that  :-D :mrgreen:

• Probably the biggest addition is the introduction of Special Objectives for each country. For example, Italy receives a 10 IPC bonus for holding Libya, Algeria and Egypt (I think). Russia receives 5 IPC for every turn it holds Archangel and no other Allied units are stationed on Russian soil.

ok where do you get this?  Where you at gen con. Please elaborate everything you know. I feel you know alot more than you posted.

also welcome to this site!

• @Imperious:

ok where do you get this?  Where you at gen con. Please elaborate everything you know. I feel you know alot more than you posted.

also welcome to this site!

Well, those who know wont break any NDA. But its a simple matter of thinking it through.

Japan wants certain territories. if it gets them, it gets IPC bonuses. What did Germany want?

“Living space”

So Germany should get bonuses for getting Ukraine Caucus, etc. And the Allies get bonuses for keeping them. Focus on that and you should figure it out…

Pretty interesting concept. It also gets Italy over the 10 IPC hurdle it faces (assuming you can meet Italy’s objectives.

• Yes but these 10 IPC are double her IPC capacity…

If Germany keeps her sphere of influence does she get 30 More ipc?

So the question is how many IPC is the bonus for each nation?

I guess we can figure out where the bonus is, just how much is the question.

Probably why Japan wont need to attack Russia, but rather keep its IPC bonus intact

• @Imperious:

Yes but these 10 IPC are double her IPC capacity…

Probably why Japan wont need to attack Russia, but rather keep its IPC bonus intact

More like 10-20.

But, If Japan is getting its bonus, that means the allies are not getting theirs. Which should mean that both the Atlantic and Pacific will be involved and not just a KGF or KJF. You cant afford to let Japan just get bonuses and not do something about them.

Not to mention, somehow Larry got the VC message. Having VC in Hawaii, Hong Kong, Shanghai, India, Manilla and Sydney means that the Allies must spend resources on Japan and not just KGF.

This really will be a world war 2 game.

• Thats really good to hear. I hated all that KJF KGF thing. Its totally unhistorical. You cant buy nothing for one theater of war and ignore it. Now japan wont get too large.

• @Imperious:

Yes but these 10 IPC are double her IPC capacity…

I don’t think any individual objective is worth more than 10 IPCs, and I believe they’re all calculated at the end of the turn, so the opponent has a chance to capture territories before they pay out. Once a side starts gaining multiple objectives, the extra income should generate a snowball effect making the endgame play out quickly (which is good, in my opinion).

In retrospect, I think the Italy condition involves Libya, Egypt and East Africa, since Germany controls Algeria.

A couple of the special objectives require control of sea zones.

• should generate a snowball effect making the endgame play out quickly (which is good, in my opinion).

yes really good point!  The game can end quickly now and nations just take the historical territory’s they set out in the war.
    If they hold them they are as good as winners. VC may become less important than the bonus.

• @Craig:

You get the country-specific bonuses at the same time you collect your normal IPCs- the end of your turn.

Thanks for clarifying that, I barely skimmed the rulebook at Gencon.

One thing I noticed though: some special objectives seem much easier to hold than others, effectively making them part of the country’s regular income. For example, Germany has one objective that requires holding Austria-Hungary, the Balkans and Romania (I think) and another that requires holding the Baltic States, Ukraine and another territory near Moscow. The first shouldn’t be difficult for Germany to cash in every turn, while the second will be a real challenge to hold.

I’ll be curious to see how the objectives play out in the '41 vs '42 setup, since they’re the same in both scenarios.

• 2007 AAR League

Being conservative, in regard to my gaming habits, I got to bitch a bit  :-)

With the “bonus” concept, isn’t there a risk that the AA50 will be very Scripted?

Like, Japan ALWAYS has to go for China (to claim the bonus/deny the Allies its bonus)

In Revised, only capitals mattered *****. The way you claimed them , could wary:
    Japan could go for the Northern , Central or Southern avenue of attack on Russia , for example.
    It could go to Africa and/or Australia/NZ, and all these were valid moves.

Would it be fun if every game bogged down into a slug-fest in China , for example?

I just use Japan as example, because I haven’t heard about any other country’s bonus criteria so far…

***** Yeah, right there was the VC rule, but it really didn’t have too much effect on gameplay - and many people only played Total Victory , ignoring VCs anyway. I have won a couple of games as VC victories, just because my opponents forgot we were playing a VC game … :-P :mrgreen:

• @Perry:

Being conservative, in regard to my gaming habits, I got to b**** a bit  :-)

With the “bonus” concept, isn’t there a risk that the AA50 will be very Scripted?

Like, Japan ALWAYS has to go for China (to claim the bonus/deny the Allies its bonus)

In Revised, only capitals mattered *****. The way you claimed them , could wary:
    Japan could go for the Northern , Central or Southern avenue of attack on Russia , for example.
    It could go to Africa and/or Australia/NZ, and all these were valid moves.

Would it be fun if every game bogged down into a slug-fest in China , for example?

I just use Japan as example, because I haven’t heard about any other country’s bonus criteria so far…

***** Yeah, right there was the VC rule, but it really didn’t have too much effect on gameplay - and many people only played Total Victory , ignoring VCs anyway. I have won a couple of games as VC victories, just because my opponents forgot we were playing a VC game … :-P :mrgreen:

I suppose whether or not you use the bonus system could be up to the player (like a house rule).  By the sounds of things, it looks like the only country that might NEED the bonus is Italy.

• I suspect that bonuses are necessary for the economy of all the Axis nations and maybe they are strictly connected with the balancing of the game as a sort of bid that you have to gain.

So I think that it could be not possible to avoid their use.

• 2007 AAR League

@Romulus:

I suspect that bonuses are necessary for the economy of all the Axis nations and maybe they are strictly connected with the balancing of the game as a sort of bid that you have to gain.

So I think that it could be not possible to avoid their use.

My thought exactly.

Many have already drawn the conclusion that many changes from between Revised -> AA50 , does benefit the Allies. And Revised already had an in-built Allied Advantage.

AA50 seems to handle that via the bonus system.

Fair enough for me. It will be exciting to explore that system!
    My concern, though, was that a bonus system , which the Axis NEED to follow, in order to win, MIGHT lead to scripted games.

Wheter or not that will be the case, is obviously up for discussion…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m