• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

In Classic, if your defending carrier is sunk before the fighters that were on it, do the fighters get to land on an adjacent, friendly land territory or carrier?

For instance, if Hawaii is attacked on Japan’s first round, but Japan retreats after scoring only two hits, can America chose to keep the fighter and land it on Hawaii like they can in Revised?

Pretty sure yes, but since I don’t have the rules anymore, I can’t check for sure.

• Official Q&A

A fighter defending from a sunk carrier must try to land on another friendly carrier or island within the same sea zone at the end of the battle.  If it can’t, it’s lost.

@Krieghund:

A fighter defending from a sunk carrier must try to land on another friendly carrier or island within the same sea zone at the end of the battle.  If it can’t, it’s lost.

So a fighter defending in AZO could land in Spain, assuming it was friendly?  Or does it have to be an “island”?

• Official Q&A

It has to be an island - completely contained within the sea zone.

• That’s weird how would that be any diffrent then a fighter having lost its carrier in the Baltic sea and landing in Norway?  It’s still only moving one space.

LT

• Official Q&A

@LT04:

That’s weird how would that be any diffrent then a fighter having lost its carrier in the Baltic sea and landing in Norway?  It’s still only moving one space.

LT

I guess that’s why it was changed in Revised.  :wink:

• Well that would make sence.  They did add a lot of improvments.

LT

Not that I don’t believe you Kreig, it just seems weird so please do not take offense at the following requests, but…

1)  Can someone confirm this?  I may find myself in a situation where I want to lose the carrier before the fighters in AZO but I do not want to have the fighters crash into the sea just because they cannot land in friendly Algeria, friendly Spain nor friendly W. Europe (all connected to AZO.)

2)  Can anyone, even the knowledgeable Kreig, point me to the right spot in the rules to find the appropriate rules?  I’ll go around and see if I can find a PDF of the rules, I’m sure one exists somewhere.

• Official Q&A

Here’s a link to the 2nd Edition rules: http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/axis.pdf

From page 15, top of column 1:

IMPORTANT: during combat, if a fighter is based on an aircraft carrier and the carrier is attacked and destroyed in battle, the fighter is not immediately destroyed - it is considered defending in the air (it defends at a strong die roll of 4).  If it survives the battle, it must try to land in the same sea zone the battle takes place in - either on an island or another carrier - if it cannot land it is considered lost and eliminated from play!

Is it just me, or did they tend to use a lot of exclamation points in those days?

Thanks Krieg.

Well, if I get attacked in AZO, life is GUNNA suck.  I was figuring I could land those fighters, but I guess not.  Anyway, I doubt he’ll attack, he’s got a great chance to do serious damage to the Allies’ shipping fleet, but at the cost of the entire Japanese navy and almost the entire Japanese air force.

I’ll download those rules, would be good to have on file anyway, even if I only play one game in a million in classic anymore! ^_^

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m