• Hi,

I was trying axis and allies online and noticed i could move sea units in combat move phase, even if these units weren’t attacking. I looked at manual and said “you may move as many of your units into as many hostile territories and sea zones as you wish”. Does it mean I can move ,say, a battleship into a sea zone in combat move phase even if no combat occurs (i.e., sea zone is empty)?

Related question: can I then move transports with cargo in combat move phase? (I was under the impression that if I was going to conduct an amphibious assault yes, but If it was a normal offload this should be conducted on non-combat movement phase)

daedel, el azote.

• Official Q&A

Unfortunately, the on-line version still has a few “bugs” in it.  This is one of them.  Normally, all combat movements must end in hostile territories or sea zones.  There are three exceptions:
    1. Tanks blitzing through hostile territory, then back into friendly territory.
    2. Sea units that start in a hostile sea zone moving out to avoid combat.
    3. Transports and battleships (and destroyers, if you have Combined Bombardment) moving into a friendly sea zone to conduct an amphibious assault.

You can only move transports in combat movement when they are participating in sea combat, or for exception 2 and/or 3 above.

• Wow, thanks for the clarification, it was driving me crazy!  :D

daedel, el azote.

• :-o No your not, I’m crazy around here!
    Anyway, to the issure at hand. When playing on line the program will not let you forget that units were moved in the combat phase, and can not be moved again in the non-combat phase. This is the purpose for the OOB rules in a table top game, to help avoid confusion, hopefully  :roll:
    But, it really does not make any difference at all if units are moved in the combat phase and not into a combat situation, in fact, it saves time. The downside to this is, if you want to change your mind where you want them to go after combat is done, too bad, their movement is done.  :-P
    So, play it however you think is best for you, but don’t get your shorts all in a bunch when other players, (like me) do obvious NCM in the CM phase, OK. :wink:

• I am not aware of any online version of A&A that has that bug worked out.

LT

• @LT04:

I am not aware of any online version of A&A that has that bug worked out.

LT

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

• Official Q&A

Yes, I suppose it could be considered a “feature”, since it is intentionally (I guess) designed in to speed game play.  However, that doesn’t change the fact that it doesn’t follow the rules in the Operations Manual.  I guess this is OK, since it really makes no difference (unless you screw yourself because you can’t react to a bad combat), but it is confusing to new players.  Perhaps it should be an option that you can turn on if desired.

Another example of this sort of thing is the fact that planes return from combat in the Noncombat Movement phase in the on-line game, whereas according to the Manual they are supposed to return immediately after each combat is over.  I assume it was done this way because it makes the game move along a lot more smoothly to move all your planes at once in Noncombat Movement.  That, along with other reasons, is why it was changed in LHTR.

• Another reason it isn’t a bad idea is b/c like on Gleemax you have time limits on turn movement.  As Japan most of the time I have a lot of logistics to move around and can’t do that as fast as other players.  I’m sure the US is in the same boat (ha ha  :lol: I made it funny).  So that balances it out.

The bad thing is if you want to undo that non-combat move you did in the combat phase you can’t.  So you should always try to make your moves in the correct order.

LT

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m