• All is in the topic, What to buy for a beguiner. As i have read that some minis from the two last editions are the same but bigger and with some better stats. So do i have to focus only with the two last editions as 39-45 and north africa ? or do i still need to buy the 3 first expentions ?
    Thx you buy advance.

• Actually, there are 5 previous sets.

“Need” is an interesting question.

Who are you playing against?  If you are playing against long-time players then you very well may want to get some old stuff.

If you are and your freinds are all new to the game, then you can play with the the two larger-scale sets just fine.

• I’d stick with just the new sets if I was just getting into it.

From the old sets I consider all of the soldiers and aircraft to be just fine.  It was only the vehicles that had some wonky scale issues.  You may want to pick up old sets only if you get right into the game (which we hope you do) and if you find them for less money per booster than the new sets.  Some people go after specific pieces on ebay or by trades.

Stay away from the original starter pack because of rule advancements and hex map changes.

Enjoy the game

• Focus on 1939-1945 and North Africa, but I also recommend picking up a bunch of Reserves as well, and even some Set II if you have the money.

• Buy the new starter pack.  You’ll also need a couple of boosters just to start.  There’s not enough in one starter pack to learn how to play.  The game can be played with the new or old figures.  Some notes

Old starter packs have old maps with 2" hexes.  That is what we play with online here.
    New starter packs have new maps with 3" hexes.

There are 4 sets of rules:  Orignal, Revised (this added the aircraft rules), next generation revised (this added the new 3" maps), expanded (this one doesn’t come with any starter packs, its bought seperatly about $20, comes with some extra maps, has some extra “expanded rules”, the expanded rules are very complicated and not used by anyone I know who logs on at this web site, also adding that for $20 the book is made like crap)

original 5 sets are
    Base
    Set II
    Contested skys
    D-Day
    Reservice

New 2 sets are
    1939 - 1945
    North Africa

Some units in the original sets have been recosted.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m