• I played a face-to-face game the other day with a friend of mine, and I tried a new (to me at least) strategy for Germany and it worked out pretty well (obviously I was the Axis - no bids).
    On G1 I attacked the British BB in the Med. with my BB, Sub from SZ8 and 2 Figs (I know that’s overkill, but I wanted to kill him in one round of battle - which I did).  I also used 2 Figs and my Bomber to take out his DD in the Med.  I purchased an AC and a transport which I placed in the Baltic. And I postined my planes to reach London. This “forced” Britian to develop a stronger navy (which was consolidated in SZ2) because they were anticipating a Sea Lion.  Also, my friend almost always places an IC in India on UK1, which he was now unable to do this round.  On US1, the Eastern navy moved to SZ8 to aid the British navy in the event of an attack.  On G2 I moved my transport with 2 inf to Brazil, and moved my BB and Sub to SZ12 to block the Americans.  I purchased a trn for the Baltic and on G3 I began taking over Africa.  The German navy ruled the Atlantic for the majority of the game and the US never got back Brazil and Germany controlled Africa to the end.  I did lose the game (I conpletely mismanaged Japan), but at the end Germany was still pulling in 48 IPC’s (we had been playing for 9+ hours and called the game before it was “offically” over).
    Anyways, I feel like Germany taking Brazil and controlling it for the entire game is a big advantage - that’s a 6 IPC swing from the US to G.
    Well, none of this is probably new to you guys, but I just thought I would share… thanks for reading.  :roll:

• well interesting game

personally i like deploying units in Baltic when playing Germany

but what i notice odd is; how did you stayed so strong with Germany and Japan crashed

did USA went for Pacific or

• @captainjack:

On G1 I attacked the British BB in the Med. with my BB, Sub from SZ8 and 2 Figs (I know that’s overkill, but I wanted to kill him in one round of battle - which I did).

No it isn’t…

…my friend did the same G1 against me the other day, only with one fewer fighter, and my battleship took out all three German units. Granted, I still lost the BB, but it was nice to take out 33 IPCs worth of gear instead of 10, or 8, or even zero.

So no, it’s not overkill, because that BB, if at all possible, can’t be allowed even a second shot.

As for Brazil, it’s nice if Germany can get there for a round or two, but those troops should really be used to ensure a proper hold on Africa.

I’m guessing the US went heavy in the Pacific, cause otherwise US efforts should have included retaking Brazil and fighting for Africa.

But hey, if your opponent is going to just let you stand on his land, go for it!  :-D

• @captainjack:

This “forced” Britian to develop a stronger navy (which was consolidated in SZ2) because they were anticipating a Sea Lion.

On US1, the Eastern navy moved to SZ8 to aid the British navy in the event of an attack. 

I think that a better response to Sea Lion is to build land units and fighters (fighters will also be useful to attack the German Baltic Navy)

If UK and USA had joined their fleet in Sz8 and USA landed fighter and bomber in London they have had the possibility to destroy German fleet in sz12.

Anyway conquering Brazil is interesting. In your strategy I suppose that Anglo-Egypt has not been attacked in the first turn, leaving 1 more fighter and 1 more tank to UK in Africa.

• @captainjack:

[…]
    This “forced” Britian to develop a stronger navy (which was consolidated in SZ2) because they were anticipating a Sea Lion.
    […]
    … and moved my BB and Sub to SZ12 …
    […]
    The German navy ruled the Atlantic for the majority of the game
    […]

I do not understand how the german navy can rule the atlantic and hold BRA for long.

The UK navy and air on second turn should at least 2 TRA, 1 BB, 2 FIG, 1BMR; eventually some more navy bought on turn 1, right? I guess the US navy bring all EUS ground units to UK, perhaps the BMR too?

UK can destroy BB/sub at SZ 12 on second turn, perhaps supported from an AC that US build at first turn to secure that fleet from german air attack, and fortify UK. After that turn the germans should have AC, DD, 2 sub and 2 TRA left in SZ5. Not a scary navy in my eyes, far away from ruling the atlantic.

And after that US can move two TRA and DD to SZ 18, perhaps supported by BMR, sunk that lonely german TRA and attack BRA with 2 INF, ART, ARM. Eventually bridge any survivors to africa on next turn.

Any suggests?

• @Croggyl:

@captainjack:

[…]
    […]
    […]
    […]

I do not understand how the german navy can rule the atlantic and hold BRA for long.

The UK navy and air on second turn should at least 2 TRA, 1 BB, 2 FIG, 1BMR; eventually some more navy bought on turn 1, right? I guess the US navy bring all EUS ground units to UK, perhaps the BMR too?

UK can destroy BB/sub at SZ 12 on second turn, perhaps supported from an AC that US build at first turn to secure that fleet from german air attack, and fortify UK. After that turn the germans should have AC, DD, 2 sub and 2 TRA left in SZ5. Not a scary navy in my eyes, far away from ruling the atlantic.

And after that US can move two TRA and DD to SZ 18, perhaps supported by BMR, sunk that lonely german TRA and attack BRA with 2 INF, ART, ARM. Eventually bridge any survivors to africa on next turn.

Any suggests?

Wat he said.

(bing) applaws

• @Romulus:

@captainjack:

On US1, the Eastern navy moved to SZ8 to aid the British navy in the event of an attack. 

I think that a better response to Sea Lion is to build land units and fighters (fighters will also be useful to attack the German Baltic Navy)

If UK and USA had joined their fleet in Sz8 and USA landed fighter and bomber in London they have had the possibility to destroy German fleet in sz12.

Anyway conquering Brazil is interesting. In your strategy I suppose that Anglo-Egypt has not been attacked in the first turn, leaving 1 more fighter and 1 more tank to UK in Africa.

Well, he built both sea units and land units (no air though).  And you are correct, I didn’t attack Egypt until G2.

• @Croggyl:

@captainjack:

[…]
    […]
    […]
    […]

Any suggests?

Sorry, I should have explained better… he used his transport(s), 2 Figs (from AC he bought on UK1), and BB for Amph. assault on W.Europe.  We traded WEu for most of the game - I would usually only stack a couple infantry there.  But this kept him from attacking my navy.  I was able to slowly pick off his US and UK navys because I would attack one round only and retreat ( I had 3 subs, a BB, 2 trns, AC, Figs, and 2 DD).  I’m not saying what he did, or what I did was correct - I’m just saying that it worked in this game.

• @Amon:

but what i notice odd is; how did you stayed so strong with Germany and Japan crashed

did USA went for Pacific or

Yes, US went Pacific.  But I didn’t play Japan very well, I must admit.

• @captainjack:

Sorry, I should have explained better… he used his transport(s), 2 Figs (from AC he bought on UK1), and BB for Amph. assault on W.Europe.  We traded WEu for most of the game - I would usually only stack a couple infantry there.  But this kept him from attacking my navy.  I was able to slowly pick off his US and UK navys because I would attack one round only and retreat ( I had 3 subs, a BB, 2 trns, AC, Figs, and 2 DD).  I’m not saying what he did, or what I did was correct - I’m just saying that it worked in this game.

Sounds like a funny game. :)

And I doesn’t want to critize you (sorry if it seems so, english is not my first language), I only want to see the counter options a little bit clearer.

And after your explanation I’m amazed a bit about that attack on WEU and run into a german counterattack with both fleet parts and german airforce and retreat of the unified fleet … ;)

• In my final qualifying match for the DAAK World Cup Tournament, I just did a Nazi landing in Brazil of 1 INF, 1 ARM on G4…

Germany is collecting $50.  Japan has $38.  The US has been buying SUBs out the wazoo off California.  And Germany has a fleet that outclasses the Allies in the Atlantic.

BTW:  That Main Nazi Fleet is in SZ12 (3 TRN, 1 SUB, 1 DST, 2 AC, 4 FIG, 1 BB), and EUS has only an IC and AA at present…  UK4 is the next pending move.  UK fleet in SZ2 is blocked from a direct assault on the Germany fleet by 1 German Sub in SZ8.

Hitler LIKES Brazil…  :wink:

• Just let me know who the DAAK champ is at the end.  So I can whup em.  8-)

• @ncscswitch:

In my final qualifying match for the DAAK World Cup Tournament, I just did a Nazi landing in Brazil of 1 INF, 1 ARM on G4…

Germany is collecting $50.  Japan has $38.  The US has been buying SUBs out the wazoo off California.  And Germany has a fleet that outclasses the Allies in the Atlantic.

BTW:  That Main Nazi Fleet is in SZ12 (3 TRN, 1 SUB, 1 DST, 2 AC, 4 FIG, 1 BB), and EUS has only an IC and AA at present…  UK4 is the next pending move.  UK fleet in SZ2 is blocked from a direct assault on the Germany fleet by 1 German Sub in SZ8.

Sounds very interesting!
    It is possible to take a look to the game progress somewhere? As well after the game is finished?

• @ncscswitch:

map

Thanks! :)

• I played another F2F game the other day (with a different opponent), I was again the Axis and I implemented the same strategy and same builds (for the most part) - same results (except I played Japan a lot smarter and I won the game).  Germant was up to 58 IPC when we called it quits, and the German navy once again ruled the Atlantic (this time the German navy completely wiped out both UK and US navies!!), and took Brazil (and Africa).
    I just thought it was interesting and wanted to share…

• That is something about novel plans in A&A.  Unless you’ve got some more seasoned opponents, these can surprise and sometimes overwhelm them.

Against experienced players, you wont have such a cake walk in the atlantic and would probably have russians knocking on the gates of moscow to foul these naval expansions plans of Dönitz.

However, it’s a lot of fun when you can pull it off  :)

Yeah, I’d be curious as to how the Russians opened.  I’d be real hesitant to implement a German naval plan if Russia took Wrus and Ukr fairly easily.

I tend to counter the German Naval buy with a heavy US air buy with the intention to sink the German Navy in rd 2 with UK/US if they unify in Sz 7.  I haven’t encountered it in a while but it is solid for a Ger AC + 1 trn buy, I’d have to look at it again for AC + multiple trns.  Any unification or move without an AC is asking for trouble in Rd 2.

Oh yeah, as UK I’ll buy DD, sub, ftr with US reinforcing London to prevent Sea Lion, with I think the Russian Sub block to prevent the BB-shot and Med trn from hitting London.

• @axis_roll:

That is something about novel plans in A&A.  Unless you’ve got some more seasoned opponents, these can surprise and sometimes overwhelm them.

Against experienced players, you wont have such a cake walk in the atlantic and would probably have russians knocking on the gates of moscow to foul these naval expansions plans of Dönitz.

That’s what I regret sometimes.
    When you play an experienced player you can try out new things which are perhaps a bit foolish (like purchasing a IC for france and a CV at GER1, followed by atlantic navy), but you will not win that game because that player will demonstrate your weak points very fast. ;)

• @Croggyl:

@axis_roll:

That is something about novel plans in A&A.  Unless you’ve got some more seasoned opponents, these can surprise and sometimes overwhelm them.

That’s what I regret sometimes.
    When you play an experienced player you can try out new things which are perhaps a bit foolish (like purchasing a IC for france and a CV at GER1, followed by atlantic navy), but you will not win that game because that player will demonstrate your weak points very fast. ;)

I agree with you that there are definately some foolish moves, however, I’m not sure that a German C/V is necessarily one of them (as long as it fits it with the overall Axis strategy).  Let me explain… For whatever reasons, my F2F opponents usually put an IC in India (as the Allies).  One way I can TRY to prevent this is by building a C/V in SZ5.  This MAY cause the Brits to spend their IPC’s on a navy or ground troops, or air, but it doesn’t leave them enough to do that AND build an IC.  This is just one example - obviously it depends on your opponent, board position, etc, etc.  I certainly am NOT saying that a German C/V is ALWAYS a good idea - b/c it’s not, but I do think that it is a good idea in other situations… Thanks!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m