Problems with transports and AA gun fire

• Hey,

I bought Axis and Allies yesterday and played it with some friends of mine. First of all this game rocks. But we had some problems of understanding the rules of the transport system.

Is it possible to load two units, move two zones into an enemy coast zone  and start an amphibious assault in one turn? I’d say yes, but i am not sure about it.

And would it be possible to load move two seazones and unload  into an friedly landzone in one turn? or do you have to wait one round because the transported units count as moved?

Our second questions is, wether an Anti Air Gun can shoot only once at attacking air units or, unless the attacker does not retreat, once for each combat circle? As far as I got it, it can only shoot once in the opening fire phase and then be replaced on the normal gameboard.

Thanks for replies.

Isgaroth

• Transport may carry one infantry and one other land unit. These units ONLY movement must be getting on and off the transport. Transports may move up to two spaces. Loading and unloading do not count as part of their movement with the exception that once they unload they are done whether they moved two spaces, one space.

You are correct on AA guns.

I would recommend downloading and printing a copy of the LHTR rules as they are less ambiguous than the box rules and clear up some problems in the box rules.

• Official Q&A

I’ll elaborate a little further…

@Isgaroth:

Is it possible to load two units, move two zones into an enemy coast zone  and start an amphibious assault in one turn? I’d say yes, but i am not sure about it.

Yes.  Since an attack is involved, this would be done in the combat movement phase.

@Isgaroth:

And would it be possible to load move two seazones and unload  into an friedly landzone in one turn? or do you have to wait one round because the transported units count as moved?

Yes.  Since no attack is involved, this would be done in the noncombat movement phase.

It’s important to differentiate between the movement of the transport and the movement of the land units.  The land units’ entire move is used by loading onto and/or unloading from a transport, and they may do one or both in a turn.  However, if they do either or both, they may not also move in their normal way, either before or after being transported.  The transport’s movement is affected by the land units only insofar as its movement ends (including loading or offloading other units) when any land unit offloads from it.

Of course, there’s more to transport and land unit interaction than this, but this covers the very basics.  External factors, such as the presence of enemy ships and engaging in combat, also affect how transports function.

@Isgaroth:

Our second questions is, wether an Anti Air Gun can shoot only once at attacking air units or, unless the attacker does not retreat, once for each combat circle? As far as I got it, it can only shoot once in the opening fire phase and then be replaced on the normal gameboard.

As A44bigdog pointed out, you’re correct.

• thank you very much,

you mean the Larry Harris tournament rules?

• Official Q&A

Yes, that’s what he was referring to (if I may answer for him).  They can be found here, and I highly recommend them over the box rules.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m