• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I keep hearing how LL is so superior to ADS, so I wanted to see if I my strategies work better in LL then ADS.

So here we go:

LL
    You get Axis with 7 IPC
    Battlemap
    In House Dicey

• I get what ADS is, but can’t figure out the meaning of the acronym. Anyone care to explain it?

• “Actual Dice Server”

• '19 Moderator

I thought it was Automated Dice Server

Nope, I’ve always heard it was actual dice system/server

• Average Dice Simulator.

• Regardless it is an acronym that in some various combination of words similar to those posted above means REAL DICE ROLLS.  :wink:

Anyway, back on topic, I presume that the lack of takers means that the argument that LL is a viable alternative to ADS has been laid to rest and that the conclusion is that it is, in fact, NOT a viable alternative to ADS.

• '19 Moderator

You guys will probably be annoyed with this post, but I don’t care.  ADS is not actual or real, it’s a computer generated simulator.

The “A” is for Automatic or Automated.

http://www.iaaga.com/HQ/clubrules.asp#Auto_dice_rules

http://www.abbreviations.com/acronyms/SPORTS/17

http://www.geocities.com/catn_gm/house.html

This is an “actual” dice server:
    http://www.gamesbyemail.com/dicegenerator

Ok nerd rant over  :wink:

• You did not notice the wink after “real dice rolls” in all caps???

• '19 Moderator

No I didn’t notice and yes I’m being a pain in the ass, last night was another no sleep night.

• '19 Moderator

BTW is you haven’t yet check that link for the Actual Dice Server, it’s pretty sweet, made from legos and a webcam

• I think I could have used that in my first two games… before I switched to AUTOMATED dice servers  :-P

• '19 Moderator

You know I almost moved to fayetteville a couple years ago, Youthfull ambitions and sweet black skater helmits…

I’d like to meet you over a board someday switch…

• @dezrtfish:

You know I almost moved to fayetteville a couple years ago, Youthfull ambitions and sweet black skater helmits…

I’d like to meet you over a board someday switch…

You tell me when you are coming to NC, and I’ll buy the Newcastle…

• Owkey, I registered just to take up the challenge. LL really takes the greatest flaw out of this game.
    @ cmdr Jennifer: I assume you mean 7 IPC starting units and 7 IPC income for the axis?
    Battlemap is fine, but what’s In House Dicey? I’ve always been playing with DAAK dicey servers…

• @HolKann:

LL really takes the greatest flaw out of this game.

Her-e-tic!
    Her-e-tic!

I must smite thee.

• Do your worst :p

But seriously, do you really like it when you attack Egy on G1 and you don’t conquer it? (happens all too often in a no-bidding/normal game) Or you attack 6 inf with 8 inf, 1 coastal BB, 1 rtl and 1 bmr, and you take 4 hits but deal none in the first round of combat? If that’s true faith, then I’m a heretic :)

• @HolKann:

Do your worst :p

But seriously, do you really like it when you attack Egy on G1 and you don’t conquer it? (happens all too often in a no-bidding/normal game) Or you attack 6 inf with 8 inf, 1 coastal BB, 1 rtl and 1 bmr, and you take 4 hits but deal none in the first round of combat? If that’s true faith, then I’m a heretic :)

Bla bla bla!  heretic!

I say that players have to know how to roll with the punches.  What, in a real war, you’re never going to have any nasty surprises?  You’ve got to learn to DEAL with the bad stuff, that’s how you become a great player.  You don’t become a great player by saying “wah!  they . . . they threw the ball and it hit me in the nose, and I’m BLEEDING, mommy, I’m BLEEDING!”

If you hit Anglo-Egypt with 2 inf 1 art 1 tank 1 bomber and you fail, well, that’s tough luck, kid.  You shoulda used a bid.

REAL men use manly bids and manly, manly dice rolls.

(REAL women use womanly bids and womanly, womanly dice rolls.)

(REAL fuzzy creatures from Alpha Centauri use fuzzy bids and fuzzy, fuzzy dice rolls.)

• If you hit Anglo-Egypt with 2 inf 1 art 1 tank 1 bomber and you fail, well, that’s tough luck, kid.  You shoulda used a bid.

The boxed rules don’t come with a bid. And real man don’t need to change the rules. (Which counts me out as a real man, 'cuz I like better rules than the ones out of the box.)

REAL men use manly bids and manly, manly dice rolls.

Or REAL men are wussies for not being able to play without bids.

You’ve got to learn to DEAL with the bad stuff, that’s how you become a great player.

And once you are a great player? What happens next? The game becomes just your random roulette, hoping the dice will favour you and not your opponent, who’s doing only the blatantly obvious, but has every luck doing it.

If you hit Anglo-Egypt with 2 inf 1 art 1 tank 1 bomber and you fail, well, that’s tough luck, kid.

You can also use an extra fighter, and obtain the same result…

What, in a real war, you’re never going to have any nasty surprises?

True. Ever seen a grey and a red soldier throw with dice before deciding who get’s to shoot who? Ever seen an American soldier in Washington and a Japanese pilot in Kyoto at the same time? Ever seen a battleship immediately repairing itself after having been shot aside by some HM Whatshername? It’s a game! It’s supposed to be fun, not realistic. Otherwise the Axis shouldn’t be allowed to win any game, 'cuz in the real war, didn’t they lose?

You don’t become a great player by saying “wah!  they . . . they threw the ball and it hit me in the nose, and I’m BLEEDING, mommy, I’m BLEEDING!”

I have to give you credit on this, you managed to type out a statement with which is constructive and completely true.
    You become a good player by remembering how the ball got in your face. And next time, you will see the ball coming, and you will be able to avoid it. Unless ofcourse, there’s that magical touch of the dice, allowing your manly opponent to score 5 hits with his AA gun, leaving you only with your bomber against a british fighter armada in Moskva. Sounding familiar? Was your opponent happy he won that way? Were you happy you lost that way? Didn’t you -if only for a single moment- wish the outcome had been more fair? Or did you, with a smile on your face, congratulate your opponent and concluded he had won by his superior strategical planning and his tactical wit?

Ah, whatever, one has to play the game one likes to play…

Hmm, what’s up with the quoting system over here? And sry for the lengthy post, I got dragged away ;)

I fixed your post it was hurting my head… dezrtfish

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m