Factions, or Axis and Allies Miniatures RISK

• Hello,

First, how I came up with the idea:
    I invented a game variant a little wise back to help draw my friends to this game. When I first got Axis and Allies miniatures, the only opponent I could find was my dad. My friends didn’t like the smallness(to put it into a word) of the game. RISK held a greater attraction to them becuase it had a couple things: Diplomacy, and a larger scale. I dislike RISK becuase it’s less customizable and A&A has more possibilties. So I had the idea to sorta combine the two to make a truly magnificent game.

Summary of the game:
            If you’ve ever played RISK, a big part of it is holding territories. Why not add more then 1 objective to this game? I did, But instead of holding them to win the game, the objectives(called territories in A&A RISK :wink: ) gives you points, much like RISK. These points can be spent buying new units. The number of player had to be enlarged as well. 3-5 is a good number of players, allowing for an amount of diplomacy. To fit more players, the map has to be expanded from the usual 2x2 map. For 3 or 4 players, a 3x3 is good. However, for 5 and even 4 player games, I suggest 4x3, or as large as you can get it. This may be the hardest part of this game, having enough maps.

Every player choose a nation. This game is NOT historically accurate, so Britian and American can battle, and Italy and Japan can be in the same army. Now, Since the amount of units you have may vary to what I have, try to make it as far as possibly. This is how I usually do it:    Japan, Italy and Hungary–- USA(by itself)----- Germany, Hunargy( or By itself)-------- Britian, Australia, and Canada------
    Russia, Poland----
    Now, again, the amount of units I have for these nation may be different then what you have, try to make it far and even. For example if you have a huge British army, and a small German army then take Canada and Australia from Britian and add them to Germany. Add in other minor nations for help for unexperienced players.

I usually starts with a 100-200 point army. When every one has chosen the board is set up. To make it random, before placing the maps, add 2 or 3 little peices of scotch tape to every board. One peice in one hex. Make them evenly spaced out. These are territories, and give you point if you control them. To control them, you must have a unit adjacent to the territory.(I’ll get to the territory later)

Now that the board is placed randomly, player roll a dice to choose where they start. The person who rolls the highest choose first, he can choose ANY side of a map quadrant’s edge to start one. Then the other choose in order of their rolls. Then units are placed in order of the previous roll. So the first to choose his quadrant place his units first.  After everyone is placed, the game goes on like usual. All player roll for intiative, and add in Commander bonuses. The person who goes wins the intiative chooses who goes first, and wether the game proceeds either clockwise or conterclockwise from the player. Player can communicate diplomacy either secretly or openly.

After the casualty phase, I added the “Cash” phase. You count up all the territories that you alone control and roll a dice. Contested territories, or territories controlled my more then one nation are not counted. On a 1,2,3 of your dice roll, each territory is worth 3 points, on a 4,5,6, each is worth 4 points. So for instance, if I control 5 territories and during the Cash phase roll a 2 then I gain 15 points. Because 5x3=15. These point are added to the player bank, and can be stored for use during any Cash phase. Units can be bought using these points. So with that 15 points in my bank, I can buy 5 Mauser Kars, or just 1 Mauser Kar, and stored the leftover 12 points. If you did not use all the point you started with, the unspent points are also kept in the bank.

Now, the new units are placed on special territories called HeadQuarters. Everyone starts with a HeadQuarters. The Headquarters is the first objective take by a player. Territories taken by paratroopers in the beginning of the game can become your headquarters. Newly bought units are placed adjacent to your headquarters. Contested Headquarters cannot build new units. If Player A contests or completely takes control of Player B’s headuarters, then Player B cannot place new units. Besides this, Headquarters are treated like a normal territory. TIP: Make sure that the first territory you take it in a good defensive position.

I think this about covers it. If you have ANY questions, ask me here. This is a very fun game variant that can even be played here on this forum. I did it on the Avaon Hill forum and it worked very well except for the fact that one player went inactive. If you are interested in starting a Faction game, message me with your prefered nation or nations.

• '19 Moderator

Definatly sounds interesting, how many games of this have you played?

• Well I’d say I’ve played atleast 10 times, maybe more. I’ve also come up with another idea that I’ve tried twice that was fun.

The beggining of the game starts in 1939, so 1939 units only can be used. Then every 2 or 3 turns, the year goes up one till 1945

Also, if your looking for more historic reality you can have two teams against each other, one team allies, the other axis.

• Want to be my son?  I’m a Dad with a son who only plays PS2!

• You are not right. I can prove it. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m