• Hello,
    Just wanted to share something I created for the love of the game.
    http://foldinggametable.blogspot.com/

• What does it cost?

I will buy the copy you have right on the spot.

If you cant be bothered to sell it. I understand such things. But please submit all the files including the artwork, and plan for creating the table. I will have one specifically created as an exact copy ASAP.

Email or PM me thanks!

• That is very slick.

I would find more details on the construction interesting.

Dimensions folded and set up?

How much does it weigh?

Do you think it could be built lighter without sacrificing strength?

Is it completely from scratch?

What kind of magnetizing stuff did you use and where did you find it?

Where did you get the map graphics?

Does it have some sort of plexi over the maps or is the glare I noticed just laminate on the boards?

• That is nice.

Get a rolling box and you’re all set

• I think this is the Tournament table

I’ll go out in my garage and make a deluxe-table, I can do this better, man

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Very nice!

Maybe make it a tri-fold like the map in the box is?  But other then that, very nice!  (Does it come in mahogany and gold leaf? hehe)

• I haven’t determined the overall cost of the table and board.  I had decided to stay fuzzy on the overall costs as I was building it because I didn’t want to think about it and just wanted to make it the way I wanted to.  I would consider building more with enough demand.

The table is at my shop at the moment,  I’ll post the exact dimensions later.  The board itself has been laminated twice for rigidity and is 36" x 66" overall. I modified a map that was shared on this forum.  I looked for the link for further info and reference for this post but can no longer find it. It’s the revised edition enlarged with unit placement keys in the corresponding territories. I had saved it as a PDF (this was probably 8 months ago).  I added the keys in the corners and the overlays of the world leaders (historical pictures found on the web). I also added texture to the water but the detail did not show up through the printing process.  I had wanted the Samurai Swords map to be laminated on the reverse side of the Axis and Allies map so all one had to do was turn the maps over to play the different games. The printing mistake that was made however turned out to have the advantage of being able to add felt to the back side of one of the map sets.  This allowed protection of the map (felt side out during storage) and more utility. With the felt, the table can be used for card games or other board games with different sized boards (if one wasn’t compelled to blow up and laminate each board and add to the collection :wink:)

Regarding the construction,  it may be possible to build it lighter and I have sketched a few different ideas. Lighter isn’t always better however.  The frame needs to be strong enough to support elbows and have enough weight to feel substantial when the drawers are used.  What I may say is remarkable however, is that so much is built into the table.  Having three drawers on each side of the table for instance requires challenging design for the drawer rails. There simply is not enough room for independent rail support cantilevering the drawers when they are extended. Also, it may look like a solid piece of furniture, but it is not.  The table top itself is a single layer of luan (3/16" thick). The table top is rigid and supported but not a solid “slab”, it’s a skin over a skeletal frame.

This one is an original and of course copies could be developed much faster since the jigs have already been built and the kinks ironed out from the original design sketches. There are a few small additions I would add if I were to build it again.

Overall costs in material for the table were inexpensive compared to the labor. Off of the top of my head,  this prototype construction was approx. 100 man hours, built from scratch.

I developed the design last august, worked different angles and design theories for a few months using autocad, then had the maps printed. Once they were finished, I had the exact dimensions I needed from the finished, laminated board to start building the table. I spent 2 weeks building the table.

In closing,  I should stress that if anyone is going to take the time to build a similar table, remember to respect the weight of the overall frame and use good joint techniques.  A lighter table could be accomplished but anything significantly lighter requires sacrifices to strength and durability. The table is to be used, not just looked at, and you don’t want a table you have to tip toe around or constantly repair.

Thank you very much for the positive feedback too.  I love the game and am happy to be able to share enthusiasm with a great community.

• well can you at least upload the file for the map and the production chart here:

Mediafire.com

any file download possible.

• Wow, that’s incredible! Awesome job you did. 100 man-hours is definitely a lot of free time taken up, but in the end is obviously very worth it. I would give my right arm to have that table!

• Here is the original map

http://www.mediafire.com/?vtn2k3hjjh8

There are a few typos that needed to be fixed, but this is as I found it.

• '11

That is an amazing setup, I’m envious. The sheer work alone, 100 hrs of your time is a very impressive feat. You should market these to the hardcore A&A players, you’d probably make some good coin. I love the map that you put on there, along with the leaders of each nation, it makes the board look very imposing and adds a deeper historical aspect to the game.

• AK_Satchel:

You are my new best friend. I will begin on working on my own table.

I can only stress that you publish the exact idea on this site and ill make sure it goes to the front page.

I think its the best picture of anything i have seen so far sake my own AARHE 1939 map.

If you can benefit the collective membership with a small diagram, i will redraw it in Illustrator and make it like a proper instruction sheet for everybody to make their own table. Everybody must make this as it is our most important task so help me god.

I also need to know how you made those amazing flag tokens, where do you buy the piece to place the decal flag on?

I will make a sheet of decals unless you also have this file.

Also, need the production sheet, because its slamming good>

This table is like more than amazing and their is not word that can express how envious i am of you right now. Its like I wont be able to even sleep at nights knowing somebody made that table and its not me…. :-( :x :oops: :cry:

• :-D
    Wow, that is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen!
    Great job!

What are the dimensions of the map?  Is it possible to get a double set of chess boards on the back without too much spill over?  Might have to do that. (Or Chess/Chinese Checkers would work too, I think.)

Hmm, man, you really kicked up a fire storm Satchel!

Anyway, I probably won’t have the time to put together a table.  Though, I do have the materials on hand to do it.  Just too lazy. :)  I’d rather be the first member to break 50,000 posts I think. grin

• Jenn: Get your significant other to get off the couch and start getting to work.

Thats what men are for and that table is more than something special, having painted pieces and a custom table is the ultimate thing to have bar none. Think of the intimidation factor when people come over to play, plus having it will no doubt add to the fun of playing.

If you ever get tired of it it will sell for twice what you paid.

You can even get an old folding table and modify it with a inlaid border so you can drop the map and plexiglass into the recess. I am searching the internet for folding tables that would be suitable. Ill post what i do find.

If I do it, it will be a table made from teak or mahogany and rubbed to a brilliant shine.  Then I’ll have the national crests emblazoned in gold leaf.

As far as pieces go, I already have pewter pieces that are custom painted.  I’d just break them out of storage for actual game play. :)  Right now they are in a sealed display case.

Of course, I may want to hire an artist to paint up the map instead of using a game board or something.  Just to make it fancier.  And I’ll have to put a Plexiglas shield over it to protect it from coffee spills. (Or beer for those less refined players.)

That’s the problem.  It isn’t lack of money or materials, it’s that the more I get into the spirit of it, the more fancy it gets and that means more time I have to spend working on it.

Hence, I think it would be easier to make sure I post every 15 seconds for the next 3 years without break then to actually get around to starting and finishing this project!

Hell, it took me 3 months to put the family crest on my bathroom floor in tile!  It’s not even that extravagant a crest!!!  (And it did annoy my husband having to walk on an unfinished floor, but it is HIS bathroom, so it’s no skin off my nose if he is uncomfortable.  After all, I birthed two children for him, you think THAT’s comfortable!?!)

• Imperious, email me at Wickedguild@hotmail.com and we can discuss it.

I am willing to build a limited edition run of these if I can get at least 4 buyers.  I am working on itemizing costs and I can discuss figures with you via email.

My labor for the original is high because it was an original concept. Now that I have working plans for it and the assembly knowledge,  I can build a line of them much, much faster.

• But if you had it finished, people would want to play and the table would put fear in their heart and cause them to lose because anybody with an official AA table has GOT to mean business. Its sooo…. intimidation now isn’t it?

Anyway Antholin, i need the version of the map that has the generals embossed in the map.

• I think the table in a good solid Oak, with a medium stain and high gloss Poly finish…
    Plexiglass to protect the map (and can be drawn on at need and able to be erased)

Drink holders and a box at each end of the table to roll dice in…

And spend a boat load of cash and buy Minis for the units…

OK, now we are cooking with gas!

• I have cup holders for the table actually.  They hook onto the edge of the table and collapse to be stored inside the drawers. I don’t have 5 sets of them cut and painted yet so they aren’t included in the blog. But I will take pictures of them soon.

The tray insets come out of course,  but there is adequate room to roll dice inside the drawers and some of us even close the lid and roll on top of it, so much so that I am considering a felt top for the lids (the lid is inset so there is a slight edge to deter dice rolling off of it).  I prefer to bank my rolls against the corners of the drawer itself though… everyone has their own practices.

Oak and plexi add a lot of weight.  An oak version can be done though and a 1/8" plexi insert as well, if one doesn’t mind the weight and cost. I did design casters into one version and they can be added.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m