• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Let’s say that Russia takes Germany on Russia 10.
    Germany then IMMEDIATELY takes Russia on Germany 10.

Where’s the money?

I’d think that Russia would take the German money, collect for it.  So they collect 40 IPC + 40 IPC captured and have 80 IPC.  Then Germany takes Russia and has 80 IPC, but cannot collect money because Berlin is enemy controlled.

Then let’s pretend Japan liberates Berlin on Japan 10.

Does Germany have 80 IPC to spend from the plunder in Russia, or does that money become ethereal and no one has it?

• I do remember to have read of a similar problem with germany and england, but I think it was on an other forum.

Does Germany have 80 IPC to spend from the plunder in Russia, or does that money become ethereal and no one has it?

I tend to the first view. By capturing moscow on G10 the german plunders all ipc in the (russian) bank, but can’t spend them as long as berlin is in allied hands and can not collect income for german controlled territories. But when Japan liberates berlin in J10, he should be able to buy on G11.

• I have always played (going back to Classic) that the money evaporates.

The rules are explicit that you cannot collect income when you do not have a capital.  It does not specify only territory value income, it is just plain INCOME, which to me (and everyone I ever gamed with) was ALL income.

So the USSR treasury is plundered, but there is no place to send the cash to, so it is “lost”

• @ncscswitch:

I have always played (going back to Classic) that the money evaporates.

The rules are explicit that you cannot collect income when you do not have a capital.  It does not specify only territory value income, it is just plain INCOME, which to me (and everyone I ever gamed with) was ALL income.

So the USSR treasury is plundered, but there is no place to send the cash to, so it is “lost”

You can not collect INCOME, you can however plunder others IPCs.

They are NOT the same.  You get a paycheck based on the territories you own (or the 40 hours you put in a week), if you find a stach of cash (like a $100 on the street), that’s not income and you can keep it

You hold these IPCs until your capital is liberated

• @LHTR:

PHASE 7:
    COLLECT INCOME
    In this phase, you earn production income to finance future attacks and strategies. Look up your power’s national production level (indicated by your control marker) on the National Production Chart, and collect that number of IPCs from the bank. Double-check your income by counting up the value of all the territories you control.

If your capital is under an enemy power’s control, you cannot collect income. A power cannot lend or give IPCs to another power, even if both powers are on the same side. If at any time your capital is under enemy control and you capture an enemies capital. You may collect thier current, in-hand IPC’s but may not spend it until your capital is liberated.

• Official Q&A

Axis_roll is correct.  This is true in every version of A&A.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Okay, it’s true in LHTR, but is it true in Out of the Box rules?

I tend to lean towards Switch on that.  The point of not collecting income is that your capitol is under enemy occupation which disrupts all your lines of supply, communication and logistics.  All money that was headed to your treasury is still headed towards your treasury where it is intercepted by the enemy who is sitting IN your treasury waiting for your unsuspecting officers to walk the money to them where it is captured. (hence why you get the other nation’s income.  That’s not money you are sitting on, it’s the accumulated wealth you gather until the start of your next turn when you place your build orders.)

• I agree with Axis Roll. its basically lost, because your not a ‘whole nation’ yourself.

• wording wise, I think plunder is separate from collect income

so to me the LHTR 2.0 case holds in OOB too

oh and it sounds new, I guess LHTR 2.0 IS something over 1.3

• I stand corrected on LHTR

However, 2nd Ed (and I think in OOB rules), it is ambiguous and I stand by the “lost treasure of the Axis” viewpoint.

• Official Q&A

From the Rules Clarifications for Second Edition:

In the rare case that you captured an enemy capital while your capital was under enemy control, you would collect all the captured enemy’s IPCs.  This is only way you could have any IPCs on your post-liberation turn (since you surrendered yours).

From the Revised Operations Manual (page 18):

The former owner of the captured capital is still in the game but cannot collect income from any territories he or she still controls and cannot buy new units until the capital is liberated.

This statement clearly indicates that only income generated by territories (in the Collect Income phase) is prohibited when your capital is captured.  This is reiterated on page 22.  IPCs siezed by taking an enemy capital, which are collected in the Combat phase, are not “income from any territories he or she still controls”, and thus are not forfeited.

• :-)
    Well researched Krieghund! :-D
    You get a gold star! (sorry, there is no gold star icon) :?
      As for the rest of you
      Plunder is always seperate from income, just ask any pirate! :wink:
      Arrrgh, I can see ye landlubbers know little of the Pirates ways .  :roll:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m