• '10

What happened to the A&A Deluxe Edition thread?  Was it relocated elsewhere or is it a dead issue?

Thanks

• was there a delxue thread on axisandallies.org?

anyway the harrisdesign thread/section is here
    http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=27

• They never had such a thread here. However a million such threads are at harris game design.

• @Imperious:

They never had such a thread here. However a million such threads are at harris game design.

Probably several hours worth of reading over at Harris design on it.

Depending on your tastes some good, some bad, some wild and crazy.

I hadn’t seen anything from Larry on it for awhile. Is it a dead issue?

• Yes its been dead for 3 years. I personally tried to revive it twice. many ideas in his sketchbook from various people, but no commitments. Each new game he does opens new possibilities because hes learning new design tricks and improving on his craft. I suspect a few ideas we have in Bulge and Guadalcanal will transpose to Deluxe. Each of these games is like a testing ground for future ideas.

In my opinion He’s working on Stalingrad and I am also making my own version. Hes not doing the Africa Campaign.

I think Deluxe/Advanced will be out by 2011 which would be the 30th anniversary of Axis and Allies.

Stalingrad first in 2009 (probably in late fall)

Then i hope he makes a ww1 axis and allies game to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of The Great War.

• Well I’ve really like the Bulge and G’canal so if he improves on those it will be loads of fun.

I’m certainly up for a Stalingrad game.

The way I’ve been playing Revised lately though I’m not in to big a hurry for Deluxe.  :lol:

• Deluxe will not be comparable to Revised. It will be the difference of Milton Bradley and revised only the thing will be a huge map, more pieces, chips, tokens, Italy, and new ideas.

• @Imperious:

Deluxe will not be comparable to Revised. It will be the difference of Milton Bradley and revised only the thing will be a huge map, more pieces, chips, tokens, Italy, and new ideas.

As long as I don’t have to keep fighting the British Air Force in Moscow. That just never sits quite right with me.

• @frimmel:

As long as I don’t have to keep fighting the British Air Force in Moscow. That just never sits quite right with me.

I think its not going that far as to stop that
    more of just bigger map, better piece and just prettier overall
    I haven’t visited those threads for quite a while though

• Didn’t the A&A Deluxe Edition discussion start on Larry’s site after all the die-hards remained pissed at the so-so quality of A&A revised? Ya know the skimping on the Japanese tanks*, the flimsy weight cardboard, fold and crack map and all that. I thought Deluxe was about improving the aesthetics and quality to the point of a high end version being made available for those die-hards willing to cough up the IPCs ($100-$200) for a truly “Deeluxe” A&A game package.

I remember talk of a large roll up map and cast metal pieces with containers to store them in all coming in this nice wooden presentation box. There was probably some minor rule tweaks discussed along the lines of LHTR (since it was new at the time) but I didn’t know the whole Deluxe thing evolved into a new game via rule overhaul. I thought the future incarnation of A&A Revised was a separate discussion.

So is that what happened? It turned into a quest for the ultimate of everything for everyone including never agreed upon rules and that’s why it ended up being shelved? Well I’m not to sure how many people would have forked out the IPCs for the Deluxe version anyway (other than you IL, who I seriously have no doubt would have bought at least 3) but Larry was forever bemoaning the cost of making this and that. That was the reason he always gave for not wanting a new unit.  :-P

I really don’t know where it all went because I stopped hanging at Larry’s site immediately after he threw down his legal copyright and ownership bit for every single thought and idea in every single thread and post on the forum.

*There was such a stink made about the Japanese tanks if you e-mailed AH they would send you the missing (“extra”) tanks. I got mine in the mail a couple weeks after Revised came out. I wonder if they still short ya. ~ZP

• yes a remember all of that too. nothing has happened since then. Unless Larry brings it up again, then their is no point to pushing it, because the others don’t respond to others unless its larry personally telling everybody whats going on.

• Official Q&A

@Zero:

So is that what happened? It turned into a quest for the ultimate of everything for everyone including never agreed upon rules and that’s why it ended up being shelved? Well I’m not to sure how many people would have forked out the IPCs for the Deluxe version anyway (other than you IL, who I seriously have no doubt would have bought at least 3) but Larry was forever bemoaning the cost of making this and that. That was the reason he always gave for not wanting a new unit.  :-P

There were actually two separate projects going:  Deluxe and Advanced.  Deluxe was to simply be a really fancy version of Revised, with LHTR as the rule set.  Advanced was to be the next generation of A&A.

@Zero:

I really don’t know where it all went because I stopped hanging at Larry’s site immediately after he threw down his legal copyright and ownership bit for every single thought and idea in every single thread and post on the forum.

Larry did that for a reason.  Anytime an author invites open commentary on his work, he also invites lawsuits from people who claim he has “stolen” their ideas for future work.  He was simply covering his butt.  That’s the price you pay for having direct access to the designer.

• Deluxe was to simply be a really fancy version of Revised, with LHTR as the rule set.

That not what he said. He said it would contain many new ideas, only not huge differences. But it was to have 3 new pieces, and more realistic rules. Of course a few people just wanted much less, but i came away with the very real thought that all that strategy you had in revised was totally in for a major change due to these new rules. The difference we got from Revised and Milton Bradley before it would be something closer. The other conclusion to it was it had no point to make it if it was JUST a larger map and the same old rules because thats not enough for a new game.

• Official Q&A

Something like this, perhaps?

• To celebrate the 50-year anniversary of Avalon Hill, Axis & Allies is launching its most expansive game ever. The AXIS & ALLIES ANNIVERSARY EDITION will feature the debut of Italy as the third Axis nation, the introduction of the cruiser unit to the naval lineup, and the largest Axis & Allies board to-date measuring 24x46 inches. With over 600 pieces, players will be able to recreate and decide the outcome of WWII like never before. The Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition is designed and developed by Larry Harris, the original designer of Axis & Allies, and will release on October 23, 2008 with an MSRP of $100.

OMFG!!!

what in the hell is this!!!

• Kreighund:

what more do you know??? you must tell us all of this!

• Customizer

@Craig:

@Imperious:

Kreighund:

A few of us know a bit about it, right Krieghund? :wink:

But I haven’t talked with Larry for a couple of months, so I don’t have a good feel as to where the process is at this time.

I would assume that Larry and AH/WotC/Hasbro will start putting out tidbits and crumbs concerning the game soon.

Craig

… What “can” you tell us more?

But beware… “Individuals who may be considered a risk … based on loose conversation or publishing information after being ‘read-in’ to or ‘read-out’ of a special access program, are sometimes visited by ‘men in suits,’ … can bring a tremendous amount of pressure to conform to the terms of the signed disclosure restriction statement…”

lolololol  :evil:

• Official Q&A

@Imperious:

Kreighund:

I’m not really at liberty to discuss it, but I will say that this game will be at least as big a step beyond Revised as Revised was beyond Classic.

• I’m not really at liberty to discuss it, but I will say that this game will be at least as big a step beyond Revised as Revised was beyond Classic.

Funny you put it that way because thats exactly what i wrote it should be to another poster.

But tell me this: you not just pretending to be in the know right? I mean you just didn’t by accident find that link, as you know it was going to be posted before it was posted. You see where im getting at?

• Official Q&A

@Imperious:

But tell me this: you not just pretending to be in the know right? I mean you just didn’t by accident find that link, as you know it was going to be posted before it was posted. You see where im getting at?

I didn’t know exactly when it was going to be posted - just roughly.  I have, however, known about this game for quite a while.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m