A&A Minis Module Support - Unit Requests

• OK, i’m getting back into a themode of enhancing the modules, and I’m taking requests.  I figured instead of trying to release a whole block of new units at once, people can get some PBEM-time with them faster if I release them as I add them, and if I let players request them then I’ll automatically be adding the units that will improve their play expeirence (as opposed to me selecting which ones are importatnt).

Here’s da’ rules:

1.  One requested unit or play aid token per person at a time.  Once I’ve added support for your requested unit, post another request.

2.  I’ll generally walk down the list first-come, first-serve.

3.  I’ll aim for a 1-to-2 day turn-around, but don’t hold me to it  :-D

4.  I’d still like to go by sets, so priority will be given to Set II and Set IV, AKA 1939-1945.  (Set I is already completed).

5.  Additional notation icons, arrows, etc are welcome, and even requests to fix any unit that I botched or even identifying poorly-defined “click regions” (AKA hotspots) are OK.

6.  If you request a unit I expect to see you use it in the play-by-forum section!

That’s it for now, let’s see how well this works!

Mot

• I’ll start it off…

#1 A “Covering Fire” icon.  Probably a classical “NOT” symbol of a circle with a line through it.

• Huh, I would have though the 4 or 5 active play-by-forum AA Mini players would have jumped on this.  Oh well.

Covering Fire, Blackshirt, and Calvarymen added.

• Can you add a feature to “Clear all Dice Rolls” icons just like the button for “Clear All Arrows”.  The dice rolls are just as much a headache to clean up as the arrows, frankly.  I’m no programmer, so I’m not sure how hard that’d be.  But I’ve noticed that particular issue.

As for units, my first request would be the Quad 60.  I’m not sure what set that’s from.

• Correction – it’s a Quad 50 and it’s in the 1939-1945 set.  It’d be a good addition since the Americans don’t currently have a machine gun unit in Sets I or II.  (That’s why I had to use a Vickers in our current game).

• Almost done with it, probably this morning…

• Hey Mot,

I think the game mechanics are pretty good so I don’t have any particular request for the Mapview system in itself. What I would like to work on with you (I can supply the graphics) are creating modules based on some of the historical scenarios posted on the official AAM site.

I have a map already created for the “It Makes One Cry” North Africa scenario. I’m not smart or patient enough to do the XML programing stuff myself, but I can provide the map and the BMPs for the playing pieces.

Thanks,

Brian

• If they are officailly-released scenarios that use standard units then by all means, send me new maps to roll in.  The maps I used were pulled out of Avalon Hill PDFs, and then very carefully stitched together with some touch-up work to get the seams to look good.

• Quad 50 Completed.

Please note that Stimpy has reported that I may have broken compatibility with older saved games.  (This can happen if I accidentally changed the underlying unique identifier of a unit).

Therefore, I’ll hold off posting the modules with the Quad 50 until I “re-version” them such that they can exist side-by-side with the old ones.  Unfortunately, the damage is done because I’ve already overlayed the modules on the website with one of the newer versions from the weekend.  If you haven’t downloaded the new modules, hold off for a day or so.

Mot

• @Motdc:

Quad 50 Completed.

Awesome, thanks.  I’m looking forward to mowing down some Krauts. :-D

• I’ve been away but I’ll add my request now, one axis and one allies.  Thanks for spending the time MOT.

Set III
    M36 MGC
    Elite Panzer

Oh by the way map view works great, no need to change, although Gamers idea about clearing the dice rolls would be a big time saver.  Also pics for some of the picless pcs from set I would help.

• Just to be clear, you did an AWESOME job making Mapview support this game, Mot.  The dice thing was not a complaint, just a suggestion to make the game even better.  But as it is, it works remarkably well.

• that was a good suggestion

• General MapView suggestions are welcome, though I’m starting with getting all the units in place first.

As to missing units in Set I, I think they are all in place now.

At this point, the modules that are available from the pinned topic in this forum are the most current.  They are also likely to not be compatible if you mix them with older modules (my bad).  As long as you and your opponent are both on the latest modules AND latest version of MapView, you will be fine.  If one of you is on a different version then the low-man may get some errors.

Another addition to my own request list…Head Shot icon.

• OK, I’m working on the new modules.  The ones I’m working on will have different file names and versions than the ones in use by our small group.  That way any games-in-progress will not get messed up.

From now on you will see a version number (some like 1.123) in the name of the module so you can always check if you and your opponent are on the same version.

The modules will be backwards compatible as long as the “major” version number is the same.  This means that someone with a module of version 1.111 sends you a game file and you have AT LEAST 1.111 then you can open and read their file.  The inverse will not always be true.  If you are on 1.123 and receive a game file from someone with 1.456 and it throws an error, then they are using a unit you dont have yet.  You will need to download the latest version of the module.

So bascially, the version nunber is a quick and easy way to verify what each person has, but you’ll still have to use common sense in checking that both players are up-to-date.  It should always be safe to upgrade to a version with a higher build number.  If you ever see the major number go up, then it’s a whole new module that is NOT compatible.

Question:  What order should the units be listed.  I’ve already merged in the sets such that the “Set II” tab is gone and the units have been folded in to their respective countries.  But as I go, how should I order them?  Alphabetically perhaps?  Let me know, I’m working on this right now.

• I’m thinking they should be ordered more like troops, then artillery, then vehicles myself.  If I’m looking for a tank, I don’t want to have to remember that the “Rhino” is actually under “V” for Veteran.  That’s already an issue with the Minis Database, at least for me.

• Mot to answer you question I think if it’s possible you should make subfolders.

1st folder
    Axis or Allies
    2nd folder
    Countries
    3rd folder
    breakdown by set
    (I think the number order in the set should determine the order that they’re listed in)

I’m not sure if I’m explaining clearly.  Just an example.  If I want to pick a Thompson Gunner.  I’d click 1st on the Allies folder, 2nd on USA and 3rd folder set 5 (maybe calling it reserves would be easier)

If there is a lack of capability to do this, I would think there are two ways to list them

1. By subtype under the country tab.  Use the same subtype as the minis database, sort by point value, lowest first.
    2. Just by point value under the country tab.  (this would be the easiest and probably the easiest way to sort through)

• @Cobalt:

Hey Mot,

I think the game mechanics are pretty good so I don’t have any particular request for the Mapview system in itself. What I would like to work on with you (I can supply the graphics) are creating modules based on some of the historical scenarios posted on the official AAM site.

I have a map already created for the “It Makes One Cry” North Africa scenario. I’m not smart or patient enough to do the XML programing stuff myself, but I can provide the map and the BMPs for the playing pieces.

Thanks,

Brian

How is the progress in creating the scenario maps?  If you’ve got one handy, I’ll see how it looks inside MapView.

• @Half-Track:

M36 MGC
    Elite Panzer

Completed.

• More requests please!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m