First blowout and base cards question

• Love this game, however, after 6 plays we had our first true military blowout, due to the dice gods the US lost all its airpower both turns 1 and 2, and the Japanese retained almost all of their planes, and the US just generally had a bad day in the battle box, (reminded me of a game of original A&A when a large Japanese fleet off Alaska rolled all one’s on two straight turns) thus the IJN made a charge for the slot, ultimately pushing the USN back into sea zone K where a massive naval battle took place, but that led to this question.

Can you invade the base cards? After the battle the the IJN went to the US Base with a BB and a DD, in order to wreak havoc on US supply lines.  I don’t see in the rules if this is allowed, anybody know? We allowed it in this game but wonder what the rule is?

Despite the military blowout both sides were generally even on VP’s, because the Japanese were slow to build airfields, instead they attempted to outproduce the USN in combat ships, in this they were successful.

• Official Q&A

@legion3:

Can you invade the base cards? After the battle the the IJN went to the US Base with a BB and a DD, in order to wreak havoc on US supply lines.  I don’t see in the rules if this is allowed, anybody know? We allowed it in this game but wonder what the rule is?

Yes.

• Thank you!

• @Krieghund:

@legion3:

Yes.

I realized this was probably a good reason to get airfields up on New Georgia and why it should probably be more contested than it was in my first 2 games.

Bombers can hit either base sea zone from it.

• New Georgia was the most contested spot in this blowout game, US ground troops landed and were reinforced but were never able to secure the island and once the USN was pushed back away from the Island the US troops were wiped out. The IJN completed its destruction of the US fleet in this game and we called it off. No one reached VP points but with the IJN steaming off the New Caledonia waters it seemed pointless to continue.

In general I view this blowout game as that abnormality that won’t happen often, in fact I love this game for its balance and that its up to the players to make choices that change the battle.

In our games New Georgia is often the most contested Island.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m