• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Anyone ever try the following?

3 Infantry from India to FIC
    Fighter from SZ 35 to FIC?

Not the best odds, but not the worst either.  Potential to bag a Japanese fighter on England 1 can be nice.  Especially if Russia did well.  And at worst, India is unassailable on Japan 1! (Assuming you send Destroyer/Carrier to SZ 59 so no infantry can be brought down to India.)

• I’ve thought about it before; I really don’t like the odds. I would strongly consider it if I had the fighter from Anglo, but we know how often that happens lol  :-(

I’ve done it in a few games.  Usual result seems to be UK losses 3 infantry, Japan loses 2 infantry, British fighter retreats.

Havn’t gotten past round 1 yet though, so I don’t know if that plays well in the long game or not.

• 2007 AAR League

Someone did it to me once, I think they lucked out and took FIC with 2 Inf. That was unpleasant for Japan, but once those units were dealt with, there was little allied presence left to get in the way of Japan’s expansion.

That’s pretty damned lucky.  Best I’ve ever seen is everything killed iwth a british fighter left.

As for little left, there’s hardly anything there in most games anyway. :P

• Personally I like to annoy Japan more by attacking the Solomons sub with that fighter + sub from Aussy then landing on Pearl. It is annoying for Japan to be down 2 inf on the mainland, but at least they burnt out 3 Indian inf which is nice because if they were simply defending India you’d have to risk the damn AA gun fire. Now it’s weakened enough that you could use plain ground units without air to take it quickly in the next 2-3 rounds.

If I had the Anglo fighter, then I’d probably do it =) That would be very annoying for the Japanese to lose a fighter and have to worry about retaking F. Indo in addition to China on J1.

No, instead of 3 infantry in India, they have to deal with 2 Infantry.  Not a huge difference really.

If you are going to annoy Japan, then you really need to do this:

2 Infantry, Fighter to Borneo
    Destroyer to SZ 59
    Submarine to SZ 45
    2 Infantry to New Guinea

That’s how you annoy Japan.

• No, instead of 3 infantry in India, they have to deal with 2 Infantry.  Not a huge difference really.

Hmm, I counted 5 inf in India if they stack it with their starting Mid East units. 5 inf is different than 2 inf.

If you are going to annoy Japan, then you really need to do this:

2 Infantry, Fighter to Borneo
    Destroyer to SZ 59
    Submarine to SZ 45
    2 Infantry to New Guinea

That’s how you annoy Japan.

Well true, so why attack F. Indo =)?

• @Cmdr:

Not the best odds, but not the worst either.  Potential to bag a Japanese fighter on England 1 can be nice.  Especially if Russia did well.  And at worst, India is unassailable on Japan 1! (Assuming you send Destroyer/Carrier to SZ 59 so no infantry can be brought down to India.)

when it works, it’s awesome
    When it fails, it sucks.

You’re risking defensive pieces (UK inf, ftr)
    to kill defensive pieces (inf, ftr)

Is that a good trade for the allies early in the game?
    They should conserve their units, IMHO.

Unless you want to go after borneo or other targets.

I’ve done this attack and it went horribly wrong for UK.
    Not worth the risk, IMHO.  I doubt I’d ever do it again.

My opponent tried this to me in a current game
    He got 1 hit first round, dicey treated me well and I got 3 hits (not that outrageous, mind you)

Ouch!

• @Cmdr:

This is one of Nix’s trademark moves.

When it works, it really slows Japan down.  When it fails badly, the Southern Avenue is wide open for Japan (though they lack the forces to fully capitalize on that for a few turns… beyond a quick grab of India with 1 INF.

The average result though is just a removal of land units from Japan that prevents their use for:
    1.  Taking India
    2.  Attacking China
    3.  Protecting FIGs landed in FIC.

The move must be combined with sinking the SZ59 TRN to be effective.

• It just seems like there are better things to do with that fighter, I don’t know how else to put it. Maybe it’s worth pursuing if Anglo was taken very lightly by like 1 tank and you don’t really want to send the fighter all the way out to Pearl.

• It actually works pretty well…
    When it works  :-P

• See those kinds of strategies are my pet peeves. It works when it works, and when it doesn’t work, well it doesn’t work! It’s kind of like flipping a coin and if it’s heads you win and when it’s tails you lose -_-! I prefer the variety where it’s heads you win, and tails you still win even if it’s not by as big a margin  :evil:

• Actually, even when it fails, it leave Japan severely weakened in Asia on J1.

Call it the Revised version of the Kwangtung Maneuver from Classic :-)

• Hmm I’ve never played classic so I don’t get the analogy  :cry:

Well, even if it results in just the loss of 2 infantry in FIC, without the Transport in SZ 59, England can put an IC in India on UK 1 without fear of it falling to Japan on J1 or J2.  That means Russia can reinforce SInkiang and America can put an IC htere.  That’s 5 units a round on the Japanese front from UK/USA with an aggressive American fleet in the Pacific forcing Japan to retreat or build navy, you might have a good KJF strat to rival the SZ 30 unification.

• I dont know… I’d be sorely tempted as Japan to go for an Indian IC ASAP, regardless of initial costs.  Too much trouble if you let it stand for more than three rounds, and if you can bag it on J2, well, Russia just got into a whole lot of trouble…

Sink the UK boats, position whatever trannies you have left in the islands, so they are picking up troops for the next round… yeah…

I can do a pearl super light (destroyer, bomber, sub if it survived which is likely if you only sent the one english sub after it, and maybe a fighter) and just hope for some decent hits, tho really its not all that important…

Send one BB to my inner seazone, if necessary, to protect my next round trannies.  If not, it goes to pearl.

I hit china with five men and two figs, or just one if you actually nailed mine in the first round attack, not too likely tho, and 5 inf 1 fig is usually enough to hit china anyhow.

The southern BB heads off to nail your destroyer/AC, along with 2fig and the AC from the inner islands.  One tranny goes to philipines and gets 2 inf. If i survived FIC, then can drop off there, tho its safer to just park the tranny within range of India next to the BB in the kwangtang killzone. The southern AC heads to indian waters with a plane to block passage of your australian tranny, and hopefully kill the indian tranny if you used it to ferry an extra guy in from persia (yay for germany!).  If not, its one less inf we have to worry about. Or if the indian tranny is ineffective as far as new troops, i just hunt down your loaded aussy tranny… if its headed to india that is…

Now we are ready to rock… with any luck, we sank a boat or two out in pearl and our bomber at least survived and is either in Japan (FIC survived) or Okinawa… We have 3 to 4 figs in range of India. We have a BB in range of India as well as a tranny with two inf.  We also have the possibility of surviving units in FIC, which wont be sent to China.  And best of all, you had to buy that IC before you know the result…

On J2, I can go all in after India… sure you have an AA, but truth is, most of the time you wont hit a plane… maybe one if you are lucky.  You might have been funneling troops down from russia, but if Germany sees this going on, you can bet they are going full force against their eastern front.  On J2 I should be able to at least do some good damage to your inf if I dont take it outright.  (I will lose fighters if odds are good for taking and holding.)  If not, on J3 I have three transports within range with full troop loads for a second assault, and this time I will be bringing my second battleship as well.

Now,… thats in response to an American IC on US1… if they dont build it, I can take an extra round to funnel in the troops and take with far less risk on J3. Thanks for the IC.

England 2:

India has: IC, AA Gun, 5 Infantry, 2 Fighters, Bomber
    Sinkiang has: 2 US Infantry, 4 USSR Infantry, 2 USSR Fighters, 1 USSR Armor, IC
    Buryatia has: 6 USSR Infantry

How do you plan to bag the Indian IC?

• The Indian IC isn’t that hard to topple if you ignore the other areas and plan for a J3 strike, even if reinforced by all the fighter units available. You have 5’ish inf from China, then 8 troops from Japan proper, then you have 2 bb shots and all the airforce on J3.

Yea, but even if you magically can get india on J3, you’ve lost Manchuria, Kwangtung and FIC and you have American ICs in Sinkiang and China with a few Russian tanks primed to liberate India before you can build on it, but before England loses the chance to build on it.

Meanwhile, America’s been steadily building fleet off setting your slight advantage you start with.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m