• Many people say KGF is better, second KJF. But why none tries the balanced approach?. I suggest IC at Sinkiang, India, USA AC, 1 inf and transport in west USA first turn. Soviets send Siberian units to Yakut or Sinkiang, buying 1 inf each turn for east front. Turn 2 and latter, UK and USA build inf in their asian IC and maybe USA some extra vessel for Pacific, but all other IPCS goings after Germany. USA must annoy japaneses capturing some islands and IC plus token USSR forces can stand against Japan in mainland.

Of course, this force building the chain of transports for Europe a couple of turns after, but you had stopped the Japaneses from conquering all Asia without opposition and going after USSR anyway.

Just an idea …

• “But why none tries the balanced approach?”

A better word than “balanced” is “split force”, which explains why it isn’t used.

If you decide to split the Allied power at different points, the Axis will concentrate on one point, destroy it, and move on.

• How Axis can concentrate on one lone allied power? They can not cooperate in early and mid game, only maybe in later game, usually because no one tried stop the japaneses.

Example:

Axis can try attack USSR and only USSR. But with balanced strategy, Japan must defeat chinese and indian IC first and must face the menacing USA fleet or they lose valuable islands as Java, Borneo and such.

Against UK? Well, Germany can’t ignore USSR forces trying conquest Germany’s terrain. And Japan still can’t ignore that Pacific fleet.

Against USA? I don’t know how both Axis powers could strike only USA with UK sinking german ships, USSR beating German soldiers… and Japan couldn’t ignore indian IC or Siberian USSR or they could lose Asian mainland trying conquering West USA.

Easier than KGF or KJF? Sure not. Alternative strategy? I think could work.

• Allies may choose KGF or KJF.
    Axis may only do KRF. There are no other possibliies.
    As you said, and I agree, Axis powers are separated and cannot collaborate. Their best options is to attack Russia, because their are indirectly collaborating in those ways.
    Splitting allied efforts means that Germany and Japan are not hard pressed and then may divert part of them units from defense to attack Russia. Having allied splitted their forces on the two fronts, help for Russia is slightly slower to arrive.
    So Russia is more at risk of being crushed between Germany anvil and Japanese hammer.

• Split forces = split changes = lost.

Clear enough I would say.

Go for 95% for KGF or KJF, and do the other 5% on the other so it does not get outta hand.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I disagree, Romulus.  The Axis could go Kill America First or even Kill England First.  Not optimal and I wouldn’t try it against an experienced veteran, but there have been strategies designed for it. (Works great when the opponent is not used to it and has a hard time adapting to new battles.)

• @Romulus:

As you said, and I agree, Axis powers are separated and cannot collaborate. Their best options is to attack Russia, because their are indirectly collaborating in those ways.

I disagree: what about G/J units working together on Africa? Or the Japanese fleet linking with G’s Med fleet and threatning the Atlantic? Things get a lot more interesting when that happens.  :-D

• Ok, Jennifer and Hobbes you are right.
    I have explained my thought very bad.

I thing that the KRF is the more easy way of concentrate Axis efforts on a single Allied power with a “spontaneous” sinergy between the two Axis powers. I intend that they aim principally to Russia and in that way they are helping one the other.

KUKF is possible but require more coordination.
    KUSF is also possible but require still more coordination and preparation.
    However, I have not ever tried them.

Now, A&A is a great game because every player may create his own strategy, and also having fun trying to get it work.
    Naturally a strategy to have success have to be well planned and require good execution.
    After several attempts one may judge it by himself.

When I play Axis I am usually aimed to KRF. This do not mean that it is the only one… I prefer it.

• I’ve never seen a KUKF or KUSF at all, I think it is even lame to kill the UK first, cos they can be overthrown very quickly in the beginning, ok leaving you as Germany with a weak force for a round or 2-3, but still. (you have a HUGE amount of money!)

I think the reason to do the KRF tactic by Axis is because Russia is a pain in the ass right between you and your mate, once you’ve got Russia out, the UK and US get isolated sitting on their islands (assuming they didn’t get much luck in Africa too)

Nearly all my previous games the Allies won, weird thing to think about, but Axis are just in minority when they have lack of good players on their side, and 1 bad player is already enough to let them lose,

You can better have 2 great players at axis, and 2 great and 1 bad players at the Allies, so it equals the game,

Still I wonder if the KUSF is a good one, it might, but how do you cover up all your transports out of Africa I would say as Germany? Those Spitfires won’t let you sail all the way I would say. Still I could give it a shot with my other Axis mate next time, could be a hilarious game too. :D

I watched a game of Kill America First.  It worked, but it was also one of the first times it was played and I highly doubt it would ever work against that player again.

• @Cmdr:

I watched a game of Kill America First.  It worked, but it was also one of the first times it was played and I highly doubt it would ever work against that player again.

Could you give some more details about how to throw the USA outta game?

If I was the UK, I would surrender right away. :P (If I wasn’t dead long before. :P )

• A balanced strategy could work on the veteran level if say the Japanese gets ultra diced in naval battles. Then the US alone could contain Japan fast enough to matter.

If you go balanced strategy in all situations though, you might find that both Axis powers are expanding slowly and then wham suddenly they have more IPCs of income than you and you’re like wtf?  :wink:

• Except for sealion, which rarely happens, and mostly because UK is way to risky, not guarding own
    capital, there is no other alternative for axis than KRF.
    In cases where Germany is not contesting allies for Africa at all, then maybe US could contain Jap
    in pacific, instead of moving from Africa to Persia.
    UK would then be able to contain Germany together with Russia.
    It’s not an good idea to contain Jap from LA.

• @Lucifer:

It’s not an good idea to contain Jap from LA.

Not only from LA, sure. Its LA only first turn, then Sinkiang, Calcutta and Siberian units plus Pacific Fleet stealing juicy 4 IPC islands

• Everything can be possible in theory,
    but KUSF would only work if there is a HUGE difference in player skills.

I believe Caspian Sub has an article on it called something like Operation North American Shield or something similar.  Anyway, it’s never going to work against someone who knows what to look for.  But it’s still a fun gambit to try!

• It’s “Canadian Shield” on Caspian Sub.

The original writeup was “Operation Hollywood” by a non-Caspian sub player.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m