• Our play group is trying out Russia Restricted as we get better playing against each other (the allies were winning too much). While playing as the allies, I have no problem continuing the fight with RR, just a slight delay and some surviving german units which I plan on getting later. My problem is that when playing as the axis, I really don’t see how RR really helps me at all…  taking Kar is still not really an option, and RR forces the Russian player to stack his troops in Asia instead of thinning them by attacking (which I actually prefer, I don’t want those troops migrating back to Russia).

So I obviously have no idea how to take advantage of RR when playing as the Axis. What’s it supposed to gain me, how is it an advantage and what should I be trying to do on the german and japanese turn to get some use out of it? I must be missing something because I just don’t see how this helps me as either Germany or Japan…

Thanks!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Restricted Russia helps the axis in the following ways:

The Baltic Fleet lives
    E. Europe remains German with no losses
    Manchuria remains Japanese with no losses.

Those are the biggest advantages of RR

• Well supposing Russia buys 8 infantry.  The Germans can either fall back a spot to strengthen their forces or move units forward to strenghten themselves.  Usally I always see Germany buying tanks and marching them in.  At the same time Japan just keeps taking away the allies money.  Japan can easily start to take away the allies money.  Japan can take India, China and parts of the Russia right away.  After which it can go through the back door to Russia or if the USA is attacking Japan first, Japan can sink the USA’s fleet pretty easily provided that it buys the right naval units.

The key with Japan is its airforce.  Its airplanes are what allows it to run through Asia.  Having 4 supporting fighters in a battle allows the Japanese player to get a few hits in while the Infantry just take the hits.  Every area the allies lose in Asia, the harder it is for them to regain them and hold what they have left.

• @Jennifer:

Restricted Russia helps the axis in the following ways:

The Baltic Fleet lives
    E. Europe remains German with no losses
    Manchuria remains Japanese with no losses.

Those are the biggest advantages of RR

How does that help? For instance, the baltic fleet may live, but that means the UK fleet is reinforced with the two russia fodder units. Seems like it evens out since you’ll have to send the surviving german fleet to its death against the UK anyways… Maybe it nets you a surviving sub - which gets shot down by UK fighters with no risk…

As for Europe and Manchuria, I’d rather have those Russia troops be dead, especially in Asia. The only benefit I see is that Germany saves maybe one fighter over what it normally would.

Certainly that’s a help - but it doesn’t seem that great. What am I missing here? On T2 Russia can do most of what it missed out of, and thanks to RR it’s been ‘forced’ to save infantry it might have wasted, which makes the axis job harder…

No?

By not taking E. Europe on Russia 1, Russia HAS to fortify Karelia.  Otherwise, Russia could easily take E. Europe, Ukraine, Manchuria and sink the Baltic Fleet on Russia 1 followed by England taking Norway and Kwangtung on UK 1 and America hitting Fr. Indo China Burma on USA 1.

• The advantage is greater than you think with RR. The position of the Axis is way better than in non RR games. In non RR games the combat moves of a good R1:

1. Sub vs Sub in Spain
    2. 1 tran and 1 fig vs 1 sub and 1 tran
    3. 8 inf, 3 arm vs Ukr (retreating when Ger has 1 fig left)
    4. Take Manch with 5 inf, 1 arm and 1 fig.
      After this R1 turn the game is pretty much over for the axis, because you are forced back even more, because you can’t stack EEU anymore (it will be strafed if you stack there), you have no forces you can direct to Africa, you are gonne lose 2 or more fighters on the fleets (no fodder left), Japan is in a big hole and needs at least 2 turn to regain position in Asia… Those are only a few points why a RR is better for the Axis. Especially position and ger fighters are more important than you think!
  • '10

If you want to even up the game even more….

Place two German Infantry in Libya and give the Axis their advantage…Germany starts the game with Jets and Japan starts the game with supersubs.  Having Jets makes it easier for Germany to defend both WE and EE after G1 while Japanese supersubs makes it almost impossible for USA to try a Pacific strategy.  The two extra infantry in Africa makes it harder for UK to shut down the Germans in Africa early on.

Good Luck,

KURT

Better would be to give Germany 11 IPC and Japan 11 IPC to do with as they want before game starts.  That will effectively end a Kwangbang and allow the Germans to stomp Africa and stack Europe.

• 11 IPC’s to each Axis power won’t even it up… Better give 6 to Japan and 16 to Germany… even better is to give the axis a bid of 24…

22 is pretty much the cap in most 2nd edition games though.  24 is really stretching it.

• Not really… Last games on this board were in the 23-24 range…

• Is it possible to play 2nd with the Hasbro edition by emailing the saved games??

or has this been broken since windows XP/Vista came out?

If it is possible i may be up for a game.

every game I’ve seen in AAMC (where i still play this accursed version of a wonderful game) the bids are averaging in the 18-21 range depending on if you want 6 infantry in E. Europe or 7.  Rare is the game I see over 21 now a days.  Though, with 21 I would be sore tempted to put them in Japan and walk over the Allies that much faster.

• Jen i think you can get Darth to accept a game with a PAsia bid of 24, with Darth taking the Allies :-D

• I thought we agreed that a PAsia bid of at least 32 was needed to give the axis a fair shot… Jen if you want a Pasia bid of 21 I will agree to that…

• What is everyone talking about here.  I use to play Axis and Allies during my Freshman year of college against experienced players and the Axis would win with no bids and no Russia restricted.  I played as Japan, and it did not matter what Germany did.  I played 2 to 3 times and everytime the Axis won.  Then again I was Japan.

Point being I do not see how the Axis need such a high advantage.  Please give me 21 IPCs to start off as an addition to Japan.  I can easily see myself taking, India, China, and Russia all on turn 1.  Plus with that much starting IPCs.  I may even be able to Austriala (I know misspelling).  Point being as Japan I would have a huge IPC increase on turn 1 and start my march towards Moscow.

• I going on holiday for a week, but after that I will play you twice if you want… First you can be the axis and me the Allies without a bid. After that game I will give you a bid of 21 for a PowerAsia… How do you like that?

• @Bashir:

I going on holiday for a week, but after that I will play you twice if you want… First you can be the axis and me the Allies without a bid. After that game I will give you a bid of 21 for a PowerAsia… How do you like that?

How would we do this?  Is there some on-line program or something?

Play-by-email (PBEM) or Play-by-forum (PBF)

Turns are posted in the games section, there are several programs that will roll dice and email the results or you can roll here using a dice rolling command, and yes there is a map program that can be emailed back and forth for easier play.

• I see Bashir gaining 2 wins…

:mrgreen:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m