In this preview of Axis & Allies 1941 we take a look at the rules of the game and how they differ from other versions of Axis & Allies. The rules are basically the same as Axis & Allies 1942 (first edition). There are, however, some exceptions that work well with this abbreviated version of the game.
Turn Order and Phases
Turn order is the same as Classic, Revised, and 1942:
- Soviet Union
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Purchase Units
- Combat Move
- Submarine surprise attack or submerge
- Attacking units fire – defending units choose casualties
- Defending units fire – remove attacker units
- Remove defender casualties
- Press attack or retreat
- Noncombat Move
- Mobilize New Units
- Collect Income
For the regular version of the game, you must capture 2 capitals (which are marked on the map like A&A 1942 victory cities) and hold them until the end of the round (end of Japan’s turn for the Allies or end of USA’s turn for the Axis). The optional shorter game only requires one capital for a victory.
We already went over the differences in the units in the Axis & Allies 1941 Units Preview.
- Battleships do not have offshore bombardment
- Strategic bombing has been removed
- No anti-aircraft guns
- No artillery
- No Cruisers
Here are a few other notes about the rules that you might be interested in.
- Naval units cannot move into or out of the Black Sea (sea zone 18) but aircraft can.
- Battleships can take two hits. Hit battleships are restored to normal at the end of the battle.
- Industrial complexes produce only as manu units as the IPC value of the territory on which it is printed.
- You cannot produce new industrial complexes.
- Even though they are printed on the map, industrial complexes are consider units and as such stop a tank’s blitz.
- The game does not come with money. Record your income on a piece of paper or by other means.
- Aircraft carriers are sunk with 1 hit.
- You can build fighters on newly your aircraft carriers.
- You can land fighters in a sea zone where you are about to build an aircraft carrier.
- Subs work the same as A&A 1942.
- Cannot attack neutral territories.
More about Axis & Allies 1941
- Check out more Axis & Allies 1941 photos on Flickr.
- Discuss Axis & Allies 1941 in the forums.
- More Axis & Allies 1941 previews and articles.
- Or join the conversation below with comments.
About the Author (Author Profile)
David Jensen has been operating Axis and Allies.org since 2000 and writing about Axis & Allies since 1997.
Sites That Link to this Post
- CosimShop-Blog » Blog Archiv » Axis & Allies 1941-Preview | June 18, 2012
- MythSpoken Episode #11: The Brian Wood LoveFest Podcast | Modern Myths | August 14, 2012