• I have a couple of questions regarding the amphibious assault in A&A Revised.

1. Can the attacker hold back a battleship or destroyer(researched) from the naval battle to support in the land battle with their one-shot support attack?

2. Can the attacker change his/her mind and not follow through with the amphibious assault land battle after winning the naval battle?

Thanks.

• 1. Unfortunately, no.

2.  I’m pretty sure that’s also a no, but someone else might want to double check that for me.

• 2007 AAR League

Why exactly would you not want to use Battleship Bombardment?
    With an amphibious assault it’s not like you could strafe anyway.

• The answer to both questions is no:

The following is from page 13 of Larry Harris Tournament Rules 1.3 under the heading, “Amphibious Assaults”:

Sea Combat: This is handled like any other sea
    combat (only sea and air units participate).
    All your sea units (including your transports)
    attack all enemy sea units and fighters in
    that sea zone. If a sea combat occurs, your
    battleships fire at the same time as your
    other attacking units in the sea combat. They
    cannot support the assaulting land units.

Once all defending sea and air units have been
    removed from the battle board in the sea
    combat (i.e. sunk or submerged), then the
    amphibious assault begins. If any land units
    originally designated for the amphibious
    assault survive the sea combat they must now
    offload into the amphibious assault.

[emphasis added]

• @AJ:

I don’t think I could use shore bombardment if my battleship or destroyer were already in naval combat prior to the amphibious assault.

• Thanks again SS.  :-)

• 2007 AAR League

@Blitzer:

@AJ:

I don’t think I could use shore bombardment if my battleship or destroyer were already in naval combat prior to the amphibious assault.

Oh you’re right I misread your post

• Out of the box rules, page 19.  If you declare an amphibious assault in the combat move phase, you can change your mind about offloading in the conduct combat phase.

So in answer to your second question, “2) Can the attacker change his/her mind and not follow through with the amphibious assault land battle after winning the naval battle?”  the answer is yes.

Gr, people that use LHTR as standard, and pretend people don’t play OOB . . . die!

• @newpaintbrush:

Out of the box rules, page 19.  If you declare an amphibious assault in the combat move phase, you can change your mind about offloading in the conduct combat phase.

So in answer to your second question, “2) Can the attacker change his/her mind and not follow through with the amphibious assault land battle after winning the naval battle?”  the answer is yes.

Gr, people that use LHTR as standard, and pretend people don’t play OOB . . . die!

Newpaintbrush, does this rule apply to Europe and Pacific?

• @Blitzer:

@newpaintbrush:

Out of the box rules, page 19.  If you declare an amphibious assault in the combat move phase, you can change your mind about offloading in the conduct combat phase.

Newpaintbrush, does this rule apply to Europe and Pacific?

Golly, I don’t know.  I’ve never played Europe or Pacific.

It’s total world domination, or nothing!

• In Europe or Pacific, you can call off the amphibious assault after the naval battle, but you can’t redirect it to another territory.  This is on page 13 of the Europe rule book and page 17 of the Pacific Rule Book.

SS

• @saburo:

In Europe or Pacific, you can call off the amphibious assault after the naval battle, but you can’t redirect it to another territory.  This is on page 13 of the Europe rule book and page 17 of the Pacific Rule Book.

SS

Exactly the same as A&A Revised.

• @middleware:

@saburo:

In Europe or Pacific, you can call off the amphibious assault after the naval battle, but you can’t redirect it to another territory.  This is on page 13 of the Europe rule book and page 17 of the Pacific Rule Book.

SS

Exactly the same as A&A Revised.

It is exactly the same as AARevised using the Out of Box Rules.  If you use LHTR, then you can’t call off an amphibious assault after the naval battle.

• Unless you lose or retreat from the naval battle

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m