• I recently played a game against a friend who threw every russian unit except for 3 Inf into Karelia on the first turn. My germans attacked, killed everything in karelia(including the russian airforce) and took russia on the second turn. (i also got lucky with a unnoticed trasport and took england on turn 3). This got me thinking, can russia ever defend karelia agaist a determined german attack? is it simply better for russia to look for a good counter-attack or did my buddy do somthing wrong that i am not seeing? i would love to hear some theories…

• Depends on his purchases, where he put them, and whether or not he attacked in turn 1. To lose Russia on turn 2 tells us he had poor purchasing and placement both turns. You must have tidal-waved him…

• German Attack on Karelia early = Axis death. Why? The Allied fleets survive, the Germans take a wacking, and little can be put into Africa.

• It was completely straight up, 3rd edition A&A with no Russian first attack. I did not need my airforce and used it to kill all ships in the Atlantic. I was still trasporting 2 inf a turn to africa, and also managed to kill the troops in egypt. He did purchase badly however, he bought all tanks with russia, and built a pacific navy to kill japan. I guess that was it, he just was doing everything that he should not. Brutal. Taking england was icing on the cake. :smile:

• get 19 infantry in Karelia along with 2 fighters, 1 infantry in Caucasus and 3 tanks into russia. Good defence and your tanks can take out some german armor on turn 2 if they ever attack Karelia and if they dont you can use the armor to counterattack China.

• I think Russia needs to spread most of their troops in Karelia and Russia territory.

• If it not is Russia Restricted, I highly suggest an attack on Ukraine. Doing this eliminates 3 infantry, 1 tank, and most importantly 1 fighter. Also use 1 fighter and your sub and transport to attack the baltic sea transport and sub. Retreat once the German transport is dead.

Doing this means, if the Germans make that mistake, Only 5 Infantry, 4(?) tanks, and 4 fighters can make it to Karelia.

Edit - Forgot to put a “Not” in front of Russia Restricted.

[ This Message was edited by: Yanny on 2001-12-27 16:25 ]

• yeah, i allways play russia restricted

• it just does not seem fair if russia can have the initiative agaist germany. it is hard enough on them all ready.

• Which is what Russia Restricted does :smile: Gives Germany the first attack of the game.

• whenever i play russia, i always pull back and wait for a counterattack in karelia or the caucus. the way i reckon, it would hurt the germans more if they were forced to defend a newly aquired territory rather than trying to absorb an ineveitable attack.

• This could buy the Germans some time in Africa. If Russia loses Karelia, it gives the Germans at least 2 more turns sending troops to Africa instead of keeping them on the Eastern Front. This is a delay Britian doesn’t want. Even if Germany attacks the Caucasus and Russia has a large force in Karelia to counter-attack with, Russia has a huge defensive line to try to reduce and hold. This will equate to the same delay for the Allies…

• Hey, lookie what I found in the Archives!
    Oh, Boy! What a bunch of (jr?)high school rookies we had here.
    You members and visitors from this(Dec. 2001) era,too!

@TheStenGun:

It was completely straight up, 3rd edition A&A with no Russian first attack. I did not need my airforce and used it to kill all ships in the Atlantic. I was still trasporting 2 inf a turn to africa, and also managed to kill the troops in egypt. He did purchase badly however, he bought all tanks with russia, and built a pacific navy to kill japan. I guess that was it, he just was doing everything that he should not. Brutal. Taking england was icing on the cake.

Come on! Why didn’t you just tell him the USSR and Japan both played POORLY. I figure…

R1: 24 IPCs to spend - 4 ARM purchased(total purchase=20 IPCs, 4 IPCs remaining)… placed in Russia or the game woulda technically been over after G1.

R2: 28 IPCs to spend - 1 IC for SFE(YOU DIDN’T EVEN ASK ABOUT IT[USSR Pacific Navy,HA!]), 2 ARMs[assuming he learned a little something](total purchase=25 IPCs, 3 IPC remaining.

Then after G2 Japan could chew off his SFE forces and use the shiny new IC!

And you NEVER ASKED what the US and GB were doing in the meantime.

Hopefully, you’ve all learned a little since then!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m