• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Okay, I’m tired of losing 90% of the time another player uses KJF tactics on me.  Admittedly the last loss was because my 134 offensive punch got 1 hit while his defense was average and that was followed by a retreat, counter attack where he got 100% accuracy sinking the remnants of the fleet in one round.  And while I think that might work, I think it was more of a “I knew it was comming and planned for it.”

So, without going into details of what I did, I went for 20% army, 80% navy in that game.  Mainly because Germany was 100% against Russia leaving W. Europe, S. Europe and Balkans empty on Rounds 1 - 4 so I could put maximum pressure on Moscow.

With that out of the way, who has a good, strong, KJF defense?

• 2007 AAR League

Dont attack pearl

Build IC on on Fic or Kwa (depending on what UK does)

Kill as many lonely sea units with your air force.

Kill the Russian stack on Bry

Smash Chi

Build 2 trn on Z60 where most of your forces are (always get an extra ipc from bid)

After that, dont try to go for the US until he gets close to orange territories (so he cant hit you with his new builds from Wus)

Build inf on the mainland (later on get an extra IC on Man, Fic or Kwa (whichever one is free)

Evacuate islands close to shore to strengthen your mainland position (esp if hes playing asia wall). You can easily match the ipcs lost in the pacific with money from the mainland.

Match the US builds with subs and if they get too heavy an AC with your 2 extra ftrs

Remember that you have to deal the blow to the US pacific fleet, dont let him attack you when they have better odds.

With Germany take Africa with minimal units

Go for Russia with inf and arm units (and of course air). Art is a waste of money.

Fly fighters to help Japan if you really need them.

• 2007 AAR League

Not attacking pearl is a recipe for disaster.

• 2007 AAR League

That is why I always give Japan 2 IPC’s from the bid. So I can build 4 TP on J1. There is no reason to build an IC when Japan will be hard pressed to place 8 units out of Japan until you are making at least 40 IPC’s. The extra TP’s can be used to evacuate some or all of the islands before the US gets rolling.

And hit sz52 with 1 BB, 1 CV, 3 fig, 1 DD and the sz45 sub if it survives. And take the third fighter as your first loss. It still baffles me why people insist on going into sz52 without maximum force when one bad round can immediately put Japan behind the 8-ball. With 1 BB, 1 CV, 1 DD, 2 fig in sz52 the odds are greatly in Japan’s favor against a US counterattack. Let the Allied players gamble against Japan. And if the UK player attacks the sub with the sz35 fig and lands it on the US CV add the bomber to the attack and take it as your second casualty.

Japan’s navy can also be split up as long as your entire navy stays within range of both sz60 and the Solomans.

As far as I’m concerned the Allies need a lot of help to make a KJF work. Just don’t give them any of that help.

• 2007 AAR League

@jsp4563:

Leaving the mainland is a recipe for disaster.

• 2007 AAR League

Dont go all out for Russia early, because you wont make it. You need a good wall of inf and half as many arm. Once you have that, you are sure to take Russia.

Also dont give the UK Weu or Eeu, you will feel those 12 ipcs (plus Nwy which you must give) on Russian soil.

• @Jennifer:

Okay, I’m tired of losing 90% of the time another player uses KJF tactics on me.  Admittedly the last loss was because my 134 offensive punch got 1 hit while his defense was average and that was followed by a retreat, counter attack where he got 100% accuracy sinking the remnants of the fleet in one round.  And while I think that might work, I think it was more of a “I knew it was comming and planned for it.”

So, without going into details of what I did, I went for 20% army, 80% navy in that game.  Mainly because Germany was 100% against Russia leaving W. Europe, S. Europe and Balkans empty on Rounds 1 - 4 so I could put maximum pressure on Moscow.

There are different flavors of KJF, so there have to be different flavors of KJF defense.

Note to jsp4563; I think ezto’s flavor of KJF defense is decent.  I think that what ezto was thinking about was the KJF variety in which the Russians put 6 inf on Burytia, and the UK splits its India fleet to attack the Japanese Kwangtung transport, destroy the Japanese sub at Solomon Islands with UK destroyer and transport, and land UK fighter in Africa after retaking Anglo-Egypt.

That is to say, at the end of J1, the UK has a carrier running away; the UK transport and destroyer in the Indian Ocean are destroyed, Japan killed 6 Russian infantry at Burytia, probably only losing 2 infantry in return, Japan took control of China, US has no offensive units in the Pacific capable of immediately attacking Japan.  US should probably build 1 trns 1 sub 1 AC 1 fighter for US fleet at Western US for US fleet at end of US1 of 2 trn, 2 sub, 1 destr, 2 AC, 4 fighter, 1 battleship, but if that fleet sails into the Pacific on US2, that fleet still won’t be in position to threaten any major Japanese islands until US3; even if the US fleet advances, the Japanese will still have their own large navy to fend off the US navy; in the meantime, there’s nothing to slow the Japanese attack in Asia.

• 2007 AAR League

QFT

• 2007 AAR League

@newpaintbrush:

…for US fleet at end of US1 of 2 trn, 2 sub, 1 destr, 2 AC, 4 fighter, 1 battleship, but if that fleet sails into the Pacific on US2, that fleet still won’t be in position to threaten any major Japanese islands until US3; even if the US fleet advances, the Japanese will still have their own large navy to fend off the US navy; in the meantime, there’s nothing to slow the Japanese attack in Asia.

As Japan, I’d hate to have that fleet in my backyard.  And if the US moves that fleet to solomons on US2, a japanese attack on it would result in near anhilation of the Japanese fleet and airforce.  Japan needs those assets for it’s asian strategy, the US can afford to lose the entire fleet without any real consequences.

• 2007 AAR League

Thats why you dont attack the US fleet on the Solomons.

• While I have had some success not attacking Pearl, in an all out KJF I think you may be better off hitting Pearl and hitting it hard.  If you go heavy it deters a US Counterstrike on US1.  If the US does counter attack they will be left with little to no units.  Japan still has the East Indies fleet and the US (if they countered) would have no capital ships. Advantage Japan.  I also don’t like the idea of just leaving the US an AC, make pay for it if they want to build a fleet.

• 2007 AAR League

@ezto:

Thats why you dont attack the US fleet on the Solomons.

and if you don’t the us will be landing in E. Indies.

• 2007 AAR League

Then move to Fic and feed your navy some subs from the Fic IC.

Dont worry about you islands so much, you can regain those ipcs on the mainland.

The more you play cat and mouse on the pacific, the better for the Axis.

• How about a “Frack with Japan” strat…
    India fleet to SZ59 (killing the TRN)
    India + FIG takes out FIC (killing a FIG)
    SZ40 to SZ45 to try to take out the SUB.

Japan has a choice to make…
    Pearl or SZ59.  Doing both leaves Japan minus their fleet and AF.

In my current game, Japan chose SZ59 to kill…
    And USA is in the process of destroying the SZ60 fleet as we speak, with a landing in Solomons with the BB/TRN defended by the UK SUB and TRN…
    Japan only collected $29 last turn (onyl gained China, still down FIC). and they are at grave risk of being down to 2 BB, 1 DST, 1 TRN for a fleet, and half their AF dead as well…

• 2007 AAR League

3 inf, 1 ftr from india is ot a sure win against Fic

• @ezto:

3 inf, 1 ftr from india is ot a sure win against Fic

True, only 50/50 to TAKE FIC.

But it is 3 in 5 for killing all of the Japan forces there, including a FIG, which secures india another round AND reduces the forces available for China.

• @Jennifer:

can you give Japan some of the bid?

Not sure your bid amount……

Also, I would stress to be very safe with your units in Asia
    Move in large stacks, this way you will not be picked apart.

Extreme conservatism should keep Japan alive long enough for Germany to take advantage of no US pressure from the west.

• @ncscswitch:

How about a “Frack with Japan” strat…
    India fleet to SZ59 (killing the TRN)
    India + FIG takes out FIC (killing a FIG)
    SZ40 to SZ45 to try to take out the SUB.

Japan has a choice to make…
    Pearl or SZ59.  Doing both leaves Japan minus their fleet and AF.

Couldn’t Japan just do a pearl light? Really light: 1 des, 2 fig, 1 bom (assuming sub is sunk, other wise he’d join). Assuming they they lose a Des and a fig then send in 1AC, 1 BB, 1trn, 2 fig to SZ59 where they’ll pry lose 1 fig and 1trn. The SZ60 BB could join a battle but I assumed he’d hang with the carrier at wake to protect it from a counter. I suppose including the FIC you’re out 3 fig, but you did manage to take out both fleets and only lose 2fig, 1trn and 1des and pry expecting to lose the des and fig anyways.

Though I will admit if one of the battles goes against them they will be hurting.

• And you are still down economy, and have achieved nothing extra in terms of destroying Allied forces in Asia, just the same kills that are usually made.

• @ncscswitch:

And you are still down economy, and have achieved nothing extra in terms of destroying Allied forces in Asia, just the same kills that are usually made.

I agree. In fact, I very much like this move you made and will probably try it out very soon!!! :evil:

However, I was just saying that you can hit both fleets successfully and have a minor air force.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m