• Any thoughts on the idea of just pulling russia back in teh west to a line involving JSUT russia and the Caucusus.  MY thought being that Russia could then just defend those TWO countries instead of trying to hold all four territories ont he front.  ALSO germany would have to spread itself to defend which would make for some easy straffing missions.

• @zosima:

Any thoughts on the idea of just pulling russia back in teh west to a line involving JSUT russia and the Caucusus.   MY thought being that Russia could then just defend those TWO countries instead of trying to hold all four territories ont he front.   ALSO germany would have to spread itself to defend which would make for some easy straffing missions.

West Russia is a better place for this to happen instead of Caucasus since you can stop the German advance from both the North & South.

• what do you mean?  Im thinking that way is just caucus and russia and germany cant go any farther past that.

• 2007 AAR League

If you stack in West Russia, then Germany cannot go north of you without leaving themselves open to strafing from West Russia (because West Russia borders on LEN and BEL) and they cannot go south of you without leaving themselves open to strafing from West Russia (because West Russia borders on UKR and CAU).

So you effectively hold them off from advancing anywhere by just holding one territory.

• true…. though it woudl take time to get infantry online from west russia becasue tehre is no industrial complex.  With the caucus and russia they would be online immedietly and ready to fight.

• West Russia is the key piece of real estate for Russia to hold off a German offensive.  Sure if things get bad enough you can always retrograde back to Russia but don’t stage your defense there.  Holding West Russia forces the germans to choose a direction for their offensive or wait until their forces are so overwhelming there is nothing Russia can do.

You could even leave Caucasas as a dead zone to entice the novice German player to send in a buch of tanks to control that precios Russian IC.  Then with your West russian stack you remove most of Germany’s offense.

• West Russia is indeed the key to central Europe.  If russia controls it en masse, they can repeatedly liberate Karelia, take Belo, and trade Ukraine.  With West Russia secure, Germany can;t get beyond Karelia/Belo/Ukraine… at least not get past and HOLD anything.  And even those front lines are going to trade for a while.

Sure, evenutally Russia is going to be depleted in a 1-on-1 trade with Germany… so you better hope like hell the UK and USA have their TRN network in place and are ready to take over the Germany assault, and assist with Moscow defense as Russia turns to face east…

And it is not too slow to stage in West Russia.  You can get forces there the round after you build them.  Germany needs 3 rounds form build in Germany to assault West Russia (for INF screen anyway… and unshielded ARM are a Russian Dream :-) )

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Besides, if you pull back to Caucasus and Russia you limit yourself to 12 IPC income.  Hardly enough to hold back the barbarian hoards from East and West, dear.

• Yep.  Russian income is critical… $3 for trading Ukraine is another INF a turn, and a buffer that chews up German INF each round on counter…

Rather be trading E. Europe and Balkans, not Karelia, Belorussia and Ukraine myself.  Yea, you’ll get pushed back, but you have the secured income to your rear.

• Trading THAT far into German territory is tricky.  It can be done to nice effect, if done with a high degree of skill (and of course average or better dice).

But done wrong, it can cost Russia far too many troops.

Ukraine/Belo/Karelia are easy to trade.  Eastern/Balkans much harder (though 2 successful trades of EE/Balk in a row pretty much makes the game an Allied win)

Trading that far into Germany means your allies have to be seriously on their game.  England and America cannot, not even for ONE round, allow Germany to focus her vehement, youthful, exuberance upon Russia or Russia will fall like a house of cards in a tornado.

I believe the trick is to land troops in Norway, then double down in Karelia and build in W. Russia and Karelia, from there you can move into Belorussia to directly threaten E. Europe and Balkans.  Trick here is to make Germany use tanks to attack you, tanks which will be vulnerable to British and American strikes if they wander outside of Berlin.

• @zosima:

Any thoughts on the idea of just pulling russia back in teh west to a line involving JSUT russia and the Caucusus.   MY thought being that Russia could then just defend those TWO countries instead of trying to hold all four territories ont he front.   ALSO germany would have to spread itself to defend which would make for some easy straffing missions.

Here is my thought.

I have a horse that is worth two dollars.

However, I will sell it to you for twenty dollars.

Wouldn’t you like to own a twenty dollar horse?

That is to say, Russia does not need to pull back early, thus giving Germany additional territory and IPCs, and Russia less territory and IPCs.  As long as Russian is capable of putting up a fight, it should do so.

• @newpaintbrush:

@zosima:

Here is my thought.

I have a horse that is worth two dollars.

However, I will sell it to you for twenty dollars.

Wouldn’t you like to own a twenty dollar horse?

That is to say, Russia does not need to pull back early, thus giving Germany additional territory and IPCs, and Russia less territory and IPCs.  As long as Russian is capable of putting up a fight, it should do so.

Possibly, but you might waste units that would have been better used in a more STRENGTHENED defensive line….

• @zosima:

Possibly, but you might waste units that would have been better used in a more STRENGTHENED defensive line….

Short version of reply:

@newpaintbrush:

That is to say, Russia does not need to pull back early, thus giving Germany additional territory and IPCs, and Russia less territory and IPCs. As long as Russian is capable of putting up a fight, it should do so.

• @newpaintbrush:

@zosima:

Short version of reply:

@newpaintbrush:

That is to say, Russia does not need to pull back early, thus giving Germany additional territory and IPCs, and Russia less territory and IPCs. As long as Russian is capable of putting up a fight, it should do so.

I see.  so what about the idea that if you pull back, germany may over extend itself, thus allowing a counterattack on turn 2?

• 2007 AAR League

Never assume your opponent is going to make mistakes.  Set traps for them, sure, but be prepared to live with the likely result of them not falling for it.

If you fall back as Russia, and Germany does not overextend (the likely result), then Russia ended up on the short end of that stick.  Poor tactics says I.

• perhaps.  maybe it comes down to knowing your opponent and designing a strategy around him.

• @zosima:

I see.  so what about the idea that if you pull back, germany may over extend itself, thus allowing a counterattack on turn 2?

If you do that, you leave a definite hole in your defense in exchange for the POSSIBILITY of Germany messing up.

@zosima:

perhaps. maybe it comes down to knowing your opponent and designing a strategy around him.

Look, if you leave a definite hole in your defense, what you’re really depending on is your opponent to be a dumbass.  If you make a plan that depends on your opponent being a dumbass, what do you think will happen?

“Knowing your opponent and designing a strategy around him” is like knowing that your opponent is unfamiliar with the king’s pawn gambit line, and playing it to try to force him into unfamiliar lines of play.  Or it’s like knowing that your boxing opponent has a better reach than you, so you work on a plan to neutralize that advantage.  It is NOT depending on your opponent to be a dumbass.

• @zosima:

perhaps.  maybe it comes down to knowing your opponent and designing a strategy around him.

Very true.  JSP cleaned my clock a while back with a strat custom designed to defeat my style of play…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m