• Which country is the hardest to survive as? 
    i define survive as not gettting your capital captured.
    for example, this is not my opinion but an example,  I think russia is the hardest to survive as because germany greatly out numbers you.
    so which country is the hardest.

• Germany and Russia are the two hardest.

USA is the easiest

• why do you say they are the hardest?
    I think U.S. is easy, and I think Briton is the easiest to survive as as well

• USA’s capital is safe because, barring a SERIES of Allied mistakes, it cannot be touched by the Axis.
    UK and Tokyo are also relatively secure, but are at much higher risk than Washington.
    Germany and Russia… that is where the ACTION is.
    Germany and Japan are tag teaming Russia, so of course Russia is hard pressed to stand against both.
    And Germany is getting triple teamed, so they too are hard pressed.

Both Berlin and Moscow are prone to fall in games.
    “Capital Trading” is a not uncommon event where Russia goes to the Axis about the time Berlin falls to the Allies.

• I would have to say putting all the countries in order of hardest to easiest I think it would look like this:

Russia, b/c its got both Axis countires at eather side

Germany, falls into the same situation as Russia for the most part, but it has a much higher income

UK, I picked them next b/c it would take some time to muster up a force and get them into place to retake or hold most of their territories

Japan would have to be next, I put them in fourth b/c their empire is much more consolidated then the UK, and they have the biggest advantage of being able to see a pending invasion at least 3 turns in advance.

Lastly the USA what can I say for the most part in the real WWII the US was only as involved as they wanted to be. They have the highest income and have to fight the least to hold it, for example if Japan took Midway and Hawaii the us is only out 1 IPC. And like Japan ( but not to the degree in my opinion) they can see an invasion looming on the horizon.

Thats my two cents,

-LT04

• i think germany is the hardest the more I think about it.  you along with russia have the easiest capital to conquer, but you also are generlaly the most obvious target of the allied powers as all three allied capital (and therefore main production areas are right by you.

• 2007 AAR League

I would say Russia, because proven strats have been developed where the axis either go after Germany first or Japan first (KGF/KJF), but pretty much every Allied strat involves Taking down Russia first.

If we assume Axis win 50% and Allies win 50%, then the breakdown of who loses their capital first should look something like this:
    Russia - 49%
    Germany - 45%
    Japan - 5%
    UK - 1%
    USA - 0%

• @rjclayton:

I would say Russia, because proven strats have been developed where the axis either go after Germany first or Japan first (KGF/KJF), but pretty much every Allied strat involves Taking down Russia first.

should this be the other way around?

• 2007 AAR League

@zosima:

should this be the other way around?

??  What do you mean, please explain

• 2007 AAR League

Oh, I see.  After re-reading yes I think I mixed them up:

@rjclayton:

I would say Russia, because proven strats have been developed where the axis (should be allies) either go after Germany first or Japan first (KGF/KJF), but pretty much every Allied (should be axis) strat involves Taking down Russia first.

• true.  but given a game where the allies decide to go for germany, wouldnt germany be harder then russia?

• 2007 AAR League

@zosima:

true. but given a game where the allies decide to go for germany, wouldnt germany be harder then russia?

Perhaps, but KGF wasn’t a given in your opening post  :wink:

Actually, the bid has a lot to do with it.  If you are playing with no bid, then I think the allies should win many more games than the axis, making Germany the hardest capital to keep.  But if you play with a bid, the game should be about 50-50 wins for Axis and Allies, so my earlier post stands.

Now, ASSUMING the allies go KGF in a bid game, would Germany’s capital be harder to keep than Russia’s capital?  I think they would be about the same (given a 50-50 win ratio).  I can’t see how it would be any harder for Germany.  Thoughts?

• The reason I think it would be harder is you have 3 countries in IMMEDIATE stricking distance of berlin…whereas russia only has one (germany) and eventually japan (probably).

• 2007 AAR League

The US is in IMMEDIATE striking distance of Berlin?  I don’t think so.  They need to move their transport and troops within range, but realistically build a bunch more transports first, and of course make sure they have the capital ships to protect them.  UK too must build transports and capital ship protection.

Japan on the other hand can immediately build ICs on the mainland and never really look back.  They will probably build a few transports but already have the capital ships to protect them.  And after a few short turns Japan usually has the same income as Russia and UK combined anyway.  Russia is usually in just as much danger as Germany.  IMO.

• what i meant “immediate” is that the three main allied areas of productions (i.e. capital) are all a stones throw away from berlin.  So while it may take 2 turns, they can get to germany, or at least german territory that is worth some IPCs (western europe, souther europe)

• 2007 AAR League

True, but after the first few turns Japan’s “main” area of production (their new ICs on the mainland) are all a stone’s throw away from Moscow too.

Anyway, this debate is kinda getting old with just two participants  :-P

• I have come to realize more and more since I have been on this site that there are to many variables to make a general statement like “witch country is the hardest” You not only have to include the aspects of each country but also each player. Some players may be better at tactics and outrival others as Germany others good at statistics and probability and do well conserving Russian forces wile still others talents may shine in economics and excel as the US.

So it’s hard to say because there is no true answer.  8-)

-LT04

• true….but broad questions leave room for debate…

• Touché old bean, touché

-LT04

• Here’s a vote Germany. It is usually the main target of all 3 allies. Unlike Russia, it can count on very little help from it’s teammate.
    It has to maintain 3 fronts continuously, and while doing so, push the eastern front away from it’s supply lines. Because of it’s location, it’s purchase decisions are more difficult than Russia’s.

Russia does not buy ships, nor does it have consider if it needs them, so Russia  has 4 purchase options (INF,ARM,ART,FIG) I see no need for a Russain Bomber, but make it 5 if you must. Germany may need those high dollar ships, and a wrong puchase or bad dice can waste tons of IPCs quickly. Lastly, even when boxed in, Russia can expect her partners to be nipping at Germany’s heels.
    Once Germany is boxed in, it’s typically over.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m