• Amphibious Assaults
    I understand that air units in the land based attack of the amphibious assault are abel to retreat .

1.    Must they all retreat together as one group at end of same combat cycle (to friendly space limited to number of flying spaces still available to them), or can they retreat as individual units during different combat cycles??

Non-Amphibiousl land/naval attacks
    2.    Must all air units all retreat at same time as all other retreating attacking units, or can they retreat during a different combat cycle to other retreating attacking units?

3.    If they can retreat separately (ie on different combat cycle to other attacking units), must they retreat together as one group at end of same combat cycle, or can they retreat as individual units during different combat cycles?

• Retreating air units must ALL retreat AT ONCE, though they can be sent to different LZ’s since the “retreat” is leaving hte battle board to return to the combat territory on the main board to await NCM movement landing.

• @ncscswitch:

Retreating air units must ALL retreat AT ONCE, though they can be sent to different LZ’s since the “retreat” is leaving hte battle board to return to the combat territory on the main board to await NCM movement landing.

Thanx ncscswitch :-)  What about in non amphibious attacks, can ALL air units retreat AT ONCE on a different combat cycle to the rest of the land/naval units, or must they retreat WITH the retreating attacking units?

• Air units retreat together.

Land units do the same.

• @sdafilli:

@ncscswitch:

Retreating air units must ALL retreat AT ONCE, though they can be sent to different LZ’s since the “retreat” is leaving hte battle board to return to the combat territory on the main board to await NCM movement landing.

Thanx ncscswitch :-)  What about in non amphibious attacks, can ALL air units retreat AT ONCE on a different combat cycle to the rest of the land/naval units, or must they retreat WITH the retreating attacking units?

@ncscswitch:

Air units retreat together.

Land units do the same.

Sorry ncscswitch but i still am not clear with your answer. Air units retreat together and land units retreat together as you say, but can air units retreat together on a different combat cycle to land/naval units? eg you have 3 air units and 3 land/naval units attacking in combat…can you retreat your land/naval units at end of one combat cycle, leaving air units to continue combat (and if you like to to later retreat airunits TOGETHER but on a later combat cycle)?? (or vice versa, retreat air units together and then other units togther on different combat cycle?)  Or must air units retreat at same time as ALL other retreating units?

Becomes important especially sea combats against defending subs… where you may want to retreat naval units if things don’y go to plan and leave air units behind to continue combat (free shots at subs), or simply to conserve expensive naval units but cause damage with air units alone

• 2007 AAR League

I believe that when you retreat you must retreat all units from combat at the same time.  You cannot do a partial retreat.

• @rjclayton:

I believe that when you retreat you must retreat all units from combat at the same time.  You cannot do a partial retreat.

I think that is true in all cases except an amphib. attack.  The air units, but not the land units, can retreat from an amphib. assault.  Once the doughboys are on the beach, there’s no turning back!

• 2007 AAR League

I thought the air units could only retreat from an amphib once the land units are wiped out?

• @rjclayton:

I believe that when you retreat you must retreat all units from combat at the same time. You cannot do a partial retreat.

thankx rjclayton :-)

@rjclayton:

I thought the air units could only retreat from an amphib once the land units are wiped out?

Here I’m pretty sure that they don’t have to wait for land units to be wiped out. They can retreat together at any time. Land units must fight it out though. So air units can retreat before land units all die or win the battle

• The overview:

All attacking units must retreat together to the same space (and it must be to a territory/seazone that at least one attacking unit came from) during the same cycle of combat, with the following three exceptions:

1)  Air units always retreat from the battle-board to the embattled territory.  During NonCombat they must use their remaining movement-point allowance to travel to a safe landing-spot, same as if they had won the combat and survived.

1. During an amphibious assault, all attacking air units may retreat (all together) during any Press Attack Or Retreat phase.  Their retreat follows the same format as in 1) above.  No land units may retreat from an amphibious assault.

3)  One/Some/All Submarines can submerge (into the embattled territory) during any Press Attack Or Retreat phase, regardless of whether other attacking units remain in the combat or retreat.

~Josh

• Air units can retreat from any combat, but must do so all at the same time.

If the land units retreat, then ALL remaining units must retreat.
    Land units all have to go to the SAME TERRITORY, which must be a territory that at least 1 of the land units that fought in the battle came from.
    Air units can land in any friendly territory in range (friendly as of the start of the current national turn).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m