• I’m thinking of integrating the blockhouses from A&A D-day into the A&A revised game.
    The idea is to give the axis powers the option to use blockhouses and the Allies the option to use paratroopers.
    Anyone tried this variation?

• Never tried it. What kind of advantage do the blockhouses give? (not too familiar with the DDay game)

Nice idea for Japan’s islands…

• Well in general terms you go two directions:

1. the ‘piece’ fires on its own

2. the piece changes the existing attributes of the units its protecting

IN #1 you can say it attacks with preemtive rolls of two rolls of 3 each round and costs 8-10 IPC. It can only be destroyed by a roll of one, hence the strategy is infiltration by infantry because they would normally be more successful than armor

IN #2 the blockhouse could be used with chips… and it can “absorb”  the chipped number of hits before the units "protected start taking hits.

So if you have a 6 level blockhouse the attacker’s first 6 hits are ignored before defending units are hit. Under this the limit of hits = the territory value. The cost is say 3 IPC to start and 2 IPC each level.

• Great idea Imperious Leader!, I never thought of having “chips” that can absorb hits. Thats adds another dimension to it.

My original idea was replicating the “Atlantic Wall” in the game, With one Bunker covering a sea zone, ie. a bunker placed in Southern europe could cover sea zone 14.
    Western europe could support 3 bunkers, one covering sea zone 6, one covering sea zone 7, and one covering sea zone 13.
    For Japan, a bunker placed on an island, ie Wake Island, It would cover sea zone 51 around it.

Do you think it would offset the game to much for a bunker to have an attack against ships. The same way an anti aircraft gun fires against aircraft ?

For Polywog; the Blockhouses in D-Day are used by Germany and can defend a beachhead by firing once at attcking units and can make a special attack out to sea. The blockhouse attacks at a 3 and defends at a 1

• The chips are a good idea! If chips are removed when hit, can they be built back up in a later turn? (At a cost, of course!)

I think an attack against ships is pretty powerful - probably more so than paratroopers for the allies. But then again, may not matter much against a 2 hit BB…

• Do you think it would offset the game to much for a bunker to have an attack against ships. The same way an anti aircraft gun fires against aircraft ?

AS with all my ideas i have used both systems and they work. Yes in case #1 each gun emplacement or fortification fires w/ 2 rolls of 3 preemtively against invading land forces. The land forces invading cannot even hit the defender until the fortification is hit with a roll of one. You can allocate say up to 3 levels of fortifications causing the attacker to roll 3 ones to begin killing off defender pieces… all this time each round the defender is killing the attacker. Thats your Atlantic wall.

Forgot to add the 2 shots of three can be against enemy naval ships… and if the enemy moves thru a straight… say Gibrater or Denmarck the player who owns it can roll against passing enemy ships.

The chips are a good idea! If chips are removed when hit, can they be built back up in a later turn? (At a cost, of course!)

Yes of course but you have to install a limit on how many levels each turn. Fortifications are built over years. I would limit it to 2-3 levels per turn again up to the limit of the territory value.

BTW these ideas in a differnt form are included under AARHE

I use block Houses, and here is how.  Quite simple actually
    Block Houses Are 5 Ipc each, Can only be built in a territory that has a coastline. Max Number of block houses is equal to IPC value or 1 which ever is greater. ie. Phillipines can have 3 of them, or midway can have 1.  They boost the defense of up to 2 Inf to a 3.  If there are no tanks or shore bombardment attacking the fortifications the Inf defend on a 4.  This lasts until the fight is over, or the Inf are taken as casualties.  If germany has Atantik Wall NA, Inf defend on a 4 reguardless of what attacks them, this is the same for Island defenders also. :evil:

I have also tooled around the idea of using the block houses as Pill box complexes. Same rules apply as above except they Only boost 2 Inf. to a 3 defensive roll. No 4’s, again this bonus lasts until the fight is over or the Inf. Occupying the Bunker are removed as a casualty.  Again the max number of Pill boxes per territory is the IPC Value.  You do not have to be boardering a coastline.

As for Para troopers there have been rules made on this forum concerning them and how they are used. Not sure were they put it though.  Ask Imp Leader    :mrgreen:

• Guess what, I too use Blockhouses, they have big guns and are armoured, and work the same way as Battleships, only on soil.

Blockhouse, cost 15 IPC, build as many you want with chips under it, roll dice in “opening fire step” so the casualties cant roll dice and are removed instantly.  4 or less is hit in defence. This unit is only used when its territory is being attacked.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m