• Hello everybody. Hope you can help me.

1. In a game I am stuck in the standard german vs. england situation. Germany has a transport, 2 subs, 1 destroyer, and a carrier in the Baltic(plus 3 fighters i western europe). I have my fleet west of England sz2. lets say i move my entire fleet to sz3, which means he can reach me with his fleet and fighters. But what happens if I place the russian sub i sz 6(between my fleet and the german fleet). Is it possible for him to “blitz” his fleet up to sz3?? lets say he sends a fighter against my sub, it dies or submerges, and the passage is free. But in theory all combat moves must take place at the same time, and therefore sz6 isn’t passable.
      To sum up. It is possible to use for an example a sub to bloch a fleet, like inf. typically is blocking advancing(blitzing) tanks.

2. If two american fighters land on my english carrier. Will those two aeroplanes participate in the combat, if I attack the german fleet???

3. Can the english fighter i sz35(BEN) land on the american carrier in sz52(EPO)? I know this isn’t possible if, the fighter is involved in a battle, then it must move 4, from its initial position on the carrier.
      The shortest distance is 5 from sz35 to sz52. Is the carrier allowed to sail for example to sail to sz49(SUI), and then the fighter takes of, and lands on the american carrier in sz52, without engaging in combat???

• @mr.:

The shortest distance is 5 from sz35 to sz52. Is the carrier allowed to sail for example to sail to sz49(SUI), and then the fighter takes of, and lands on the american carrier in sz52, without engaging in combat???

A fighter has a move of 4 spaces, no carrier can change that. However, the shortest distance to sz52 is 4 spaces so feel free to land your uk fig on the us carrier. (37-47-45-52)

• Right.  And in the case of a fighter from sz35, it could also attack the Japanese sub in sz46 before landing on the US CV in NCM.

SS

• Thank you very much.

Hope you are right concerning using the SUB as a blocker.

What I meant in question 3 was: Is it possible for example to sail 2 spaces with a carrier, and then launch the fighter, which moves another 4 moves.

• No, those moves on the carrier count as fighter moves too.

Imagine that the plane takes off and is flying nearby the carrier.  I know it doesnt make sense, but thats the easiest way to look at it.

• Ok, thanks. Here is another one. germany has 3 fighters in western europe and a grand fleet in SZ 7. I attack the fleet with england. All is detroyed except the german carrier. there is a bunch of american trn i sz 1 or 2. Lets say USA keeps them there in their turn. Now russia places their SUb in SZ 8.
    In order for germany to attack the trn in sz 1 or 2 they must land on a carrier placed in sz 8. But in sz 8 is the russian SUB. Is ok for germany to attack the sub with one of their fighters and then attack the trn with their two other fighters AND afterwards sail the carrier into SZ8 as a noncombat move and land their fighters on this. Is that ok, the SUB might be destroyed, might be submerged.

• It’s perfectly ok, in any case the sub will either be dead or submerged so the AC is free to NCM into sz8 to pick up the aircraft.

• thanks again, Ok last question. germany owns egypt, but not trans jordan. Lets say they take tranjordan in their turn, is it now possible to attack the english fleet i SZ 33 with the german Battleship and trn from sz15? The germans didn’t control the canal from the beginning of the turn.

• You answered your own question, they need to control the canal at the beginning of their turn. To overcome such obstacles it’s often a good idea to have your ally(Japan) take t-j on their turn so that Germany can sail through. I often find myself keeping some british troops stationed with the US troops in/around Egypt just to be able to close the channel to avoid such sea battles.

• I think the fighters can fly by the sub without fighting as well since they can fly over other units without fighting as well.

• That is true.  The only unit that forces a confrontation with your air units are enemy Antiaircraft Guns.  All other units may be flown over without combat being initiated.

~Josh

• Excluding AA on TRNs :-)

• ooh, nice one!

• so trns can fire on a passing fighter? with AA(one die per fgtr) or one die?

• Trns cannot fire at passing fighters, even if they are carrying an AA gun.  Transports do defend on a “1” but only if the attacker is stopping in the sea zone occupied by the Transport, not if the planes are just flying over.

SS

• @Mork:

so trns can fire on a passing fighter? with AA(one die per fgtr) or one die?

No, not what I meant.

The statement had been made that AA can fire at aircraft flying over them.  Which is true if the AA is on land.  But if that AA gun is at sea on a TRN, then the AF can fly right over it and ignore the TRN, the AA, and anything else below them on the seas.

• The statement had been made that AA can fire at aircraft flying over them.  Which is true if the AA is on land.  But if that AA gun is at sea on a TRN, then the AF can fly right over it and ignore the TRN, the AA, and anything else below them on the seas.

… this fact is clarified on page 30 of the Operations Manual, in the Transports section.  “Land units on a transport are cargo; they cannot attack or defend while at sea.”

~Josh

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m