• 2007 AAR League

I was looking through the LHTR rules for something else and came across this little gem - separate combats must be resolved sequentially. IE. you must completely finish one battle before moving on to the next.

Now, custom here seems to be (at least using the inhouse roller) to roll round 1 of all your battles at once, and then decide which ones to continue.

Either we have a house rule at A&A.org that this is allowed, or players could legitimately object in tournament play and potentially force a re-roll of a whole round of combat.

• With the two external Dicey’s this is not an issue.

Never gave it any thought as far as in-house (where i think folks cimply key all the combats at once, then keep going until resolved simply to save typing…)

Now that I think about it though, it DOES change things a bit, since you can potentially abort (or push) a combat by seeing how a related combat is progressing.

• 2007 AAR League

It’s in the FAQ at p. 4:
    From http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/faqs/axisrevised

I know combat in each territory or sea zone is resolved separately, but can I partially resolve one combat, move to the next, and so on, bouncing between combats before they’re completed?
    No. Each combat is resolved completely before moving on to the next.

Also in LHTR at p. 8:

each affected territory or sea zone is resolved separately and completely before beginning to resolve another combat.

• Dan, thank you for pointing this out.

I’ll get a notice posted in the Tournament threads so that it is not an issue for the remainder of the Tournament.

• Ive never played online, so Ive always followed the rules to do different combats at different times.

• Really, All round 1’s at a time?

I’ve never played online and I’ve never even heard of that.

Crazy.  That makes a much different game.

~Josh

• @OutsideLime:

Really, All round 1’s at a time?

I’ve never played online and I’ve never even heard of that.

Crazy.  That makes a much different game.

~Josh

No, you ahve it backward…

Each combat ONE AT A TIME.

So you can;t roll ANY dice for West Russia while you are rolling Ukraine.

MOST folks play this way.  But with the in-site Dicey, a lot of folks set up their combats and then roll all of them at once.

• 2007 AAR League

I think he meant he had never heard of people rolling round 1 of each battle all at once.

Though to be honest, in all the times I’ve done it, I don’t think I have aborted any attacks based on how another one went. And if there is a battle that is going to depend on another one, then you can just roll them in the appropriate order anyway. IMO this rule makes very little difference.

But we should have a ruling that either this is permitted (perhaps if both players agree) or it is verboten.

• Let’s get some additional feedback here and see what folks think…

• 2007 AAR League

I don’t think it realy makes a difference. I’ve never stopped an attack based on another.

• @AJGundam:

I don’t think it realy makes a difference. I’ve never stopped an attack based on another.

me either.

• 2007 AAR League

I just did a turn where I did battles one at a time, and I have to say I found it a bit easier myself - I got to watch each battle unfold instead of trying to figure out what is happening in 4 battles at once. Actually, it was a bit more “fun”.

• I’m sure there can be scenarios where it would be advantageous to roll one round and then decide on whether to press attacks or retreat. But to me this creates more problems than it “solves”. Using the in-house dicey would be even harder than it already is if you have to make one post for each round of combat for each battle in succession… Let’s face it guys, we’re not playing poker with a million dollars as the prize.

Personally I follow a gentlemen’s code when playing, I would never exploit rules or tamper with posting order/dice to get a better result for myself. And even though I usually dislike and mistrust people in general I wouldn’t think otherwise of my fellow gamers online. If the situation arises I’ll certainly roll each combat according to the rules. Or if my opponent insists on it from the start.

• I have combined round 1’s when using the in site dicey. I don’t think that I’ve have bailed on a questionable battle because of the “advance” info. I’m sure there will come a point when the info will inform a decision though.

There is a time savings involved with getting all of the round 1’s in in one post. You are locked into those anyway. It also cleans up the threads a little. But yes you might not press something if a round 1 elsewhere went badly or press something if something went well.

I will abide with whatever “policy” is put in place on this. I don’t think it is as major as “cheating” but it is a stretch of the rules. As the in-site dicey is “legal” for tourney and league the “cheat” or the custom of the forum games is usable by all, making it “fair.”

• The reverse is also true thoguh, in terms of “advance knowledge”.

By knowing if you did or did not ultiamtely WIN a given battle, that can effect dice as well.

In truth, I think the simultaneous rolling with in-site is more accurate.

Also, just trying to keep multiple battles straight in code the dice correctly is enough for MOST folks to keep track of at one time, without trying to review and see if the Round 1 result in Combat A means that you should abort Combat B prior to Round 2 of dice.

• Order of battle can be important, especially when there are naval battles involved.

On G1, I might consider losing a ftr in AES to get an extra unit to keep UK from countering IF I haven’t lost any planes taking out the UK BB in the med.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I honestly only did this a few times because it’s faster.  But I’ll keep it lodged in my head, thanks for reminding us, Dan!

And Switch is right, when using an outside dicey, it’s not as prevalent.  But it could still be an issue.

• 2007 AAR League

Right, but since you can do certain battles before other ones, it still allows you to make your decision based on the other result. Since you can achieve the same thing by just ordering your battles, this rule doesn’t serve much of a purpose.

• @froodster:

I think he meant he had never heard of people rolling round 1 of each battle all at once.

This is correct.  The way my groups have always played is to conduct each battle separately and completely before moving on to the next, at the attacker’s discretion as to the order in which battles are resolved.  The rules explicitly instruct this.  What a strange concept to conduct all battles at once, round by round!  In FTF rounds with more than a few battles this would be very difficult to keep track of what is going on in each battle, no?

~Josh

• It only comes up using the in-site dicey, where in an effort to not have 20 combat posts, folks roll all battles at once.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m