• Founder TripleA Admin

If you’ve played Battle of the Bulge yet and you played the Allies, you might’ve found it quite difficult to hold off the Germans.

Since each game is different from the start, this may not apply to all games.

1. Don’t let Germany “bulge” through the front line using blitzs, keep the front line smooth.
    2. If a hole opens up to blitz through, take it It is a distraction but is has to be dealt with by Germany, else next turn you can wrek havok behind the lines. This should rarely happen.
    3. You decide which units fight and when. How do you do this? Don’t engage, instead back up and regroup for a larger force. However, you must be very careful not to leave a hole for Germany to blitz through. You might need to leave a secondary front of single infantry units behind the empty hexes.
    4. When you leave your units on the front for battle …
      a. Have an even number of battling forces. If you loose initiative and have an odd number of large forces, 2 will get decimated. With an even number only one will be decimated the other will be at full strength.
      b. Don’t mass troops in hexes that can be attacked from multiple sides.

The gist is that you slowly back up giving ground where you decide you want to give ground. Don’t worry about losing 1 or 2 point cities. Back up and regroup and attack infrequently until the aircraft arrive.

Aside from common sense, I’m still looking for nest practices for the aircraft.

• We only have two games in and so far I would only disagree with one point on this. I don’t think the Allies should try to hold the entire line or keep it smooth. I think they have to give in the middle and pick at the Germans from the sides. Let it bulge and get overextended and chop it off.

It seems to me that the Allies must hold a line from Martelange, Bastogne, Ortheuville and the hex central to Rochefort, Marche, La Roche and Ortheuville. The other key is Liege and Verviers the Germans need to somehow be made to pay dearly for those hexes or kept out entirely.

I’m wondering if it isn’t best to pull everything that lives thru turn one combat back a hex to stall for time to get dug in on the lines I mentioned above?

I think the other key for the Allies is not to leave supplies for the Germans to capture. The bare minimum to shoot at the Germans and that is it. Except for Hexes you are intent on not vacating don’t move any supplies directly to a hex on the front. I think that the best hits for the Allies is on the German supplies. That will slow 'em down more than making them retreat or destroying them (which of course don’t hurt.) “Don’t let 'em have the gas. Burn it. Burn it.”

As for aircraft you have to hit hexes you want to be hit less hard from, cover hexes you don’t want the Germans to weaken and go after the supplies (which as you said is common sense.)

That is my thoughts on two games and some time moving things around on my own. The last game as Germany I pretty much destroyed everything on the first turn attack and rolled to a turn 5 victory. The dice were nice but I think my opponent doesn’t have a feel for this game yet.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m