• Russia throws everything it can at the Ukraine and is left with, say, 3 armor, 4 infantry, and the two fighters. The ground troops obviously remain, and the planes land in Karelia. Russia buys 8 infantry and places them in Karelia, and also moves the 4 infantry from Moscow into Karelia. He consolidates his Eastern forces from Yakut and the Soviet far East into Yakut, and moves the two men from Evenki into Moscow. He also moves his sub and transport into the UK sea space.

That leaves:
    12 infantry and 2 fighters in Karelia;
    3 tanks, 4 infantry in Ukraine;
    2 infantry in Moscow;
    5 infantry 1 armor in Yakut.

Germany is left with all its original pieces except that it has lost everything that was in the Ukraine.

You also know that the Allies will be going all out after Germany.

What would your move be if you were Germany in this situation?

• defend europe and attack africa

• On 2001-12-18 13:04, greensleeves wrote:
    defend europe and attack africa

That is certainly the strategy I plan to use, but what would your specific move be? I am just curious to know what other peoples first round cource of action would be -your buy, attacks, and how you would situate your pieces. All very critical for Germany.

• go hard on Russia! Be relentless!! Attack Russia repeatidly untill the allies are close enough to attack W. Europe. By doing this you don’t give the Russians the time to mass troops in Karelia and Ukraine. Germany wil take losses, but with the hopes that they can push Russia back to Moscow before the allies come. I would focus my attacks on Karelia. In your report, you didn’t mention the Caucaus’ (which I’m assuming would be empty), I would be tempted to put a tank or two troops to distract Russia as I pounded on Karelia (using the S. Europe trans. thru the Black Sea).
    Also do the usual navy battles and penetrate as far as possible into Africa.

Purchases–
    – 4 inf. – 4 tanks

[ This Message was edited by: Major_Damage on 2001-12-18 13:18 ]

• I generally find that given the stated situation, if Germany attacks Karelia with everything (including its fighters), that they can take it with something like 2-6 tanks and all of it’s fighters surviving but is capable of losing everything.

If they (Germany) have a weak victory, the UK can reclaim the territory for Russia. Russia will fortify and the Allies will soon press forward and have a permant hold on German soil.

If they (Germany) have a big victory, the UK will not be able to reclaim the territory and Russia will reclaim it the following round with the forces in the Ukraine, but Garmany still has a shot.

• Just curious, what forces do you move into Africa in round 1, if any ? (probably not any if you move into the Caucus’, but Germany will not get far in Africa with out additional troops transported down there, especially if the UK moves two men in from India).

Also, what would you use to defend Western? Do you keep your fighters there with infantry? Southern? -could leave unoccupied, but the Allies may leave a tank out of battle with Eastern in order to blitz into southern if they win, so perhaps one guy.

Just looking for opinions. Germany can not afford to spare much, but they are vulnerable in many areas.

• I agree that Germany is vulnerable in a situation like this. The idea of a tank or troops in the Caucaus is basically a hopeless cause. I would consider it but probably not act on it. I would more likley send one tank to Africa to take part in the attack on Egypt. As for fortifying Europe…I would send another two troops to W. Europe, and place bought units in Germany.
    Sitting tight and defending is a good option…but I would be more inclined to take the risk and battle with Russia. Defending just gives the allies time for all three nations to pound on Germany…all three nations could attack before Germany had a chance to counter any of the allied moves. In my opinion defending just delays the inevitable. Of course the dice could always work for you or against you.

• I would want to take out those russian tanks. In the russians situation they can’t afford to lose those tanks, by taking them away the russian offensive, if any, would be much weaker. I would also buy quite a few infantry, say maybe 7 with 2 tanks. Moving troops into africa would be a must, perhaps amphib. assualt Egypt with the afrika corp providing the punch.

• Strafe Ukraine with some infantry and tanks. Purchase almost all infantry. Use airforce to smash all the British fleet you can.

• I think the key for the german player in this case is to have an armoured reserve based in Germany. Russia will be tempted to go on the offensive and could blead their forces thin. This armoured reserve could be used for small counterattacks to keep the Russians off balance or could be used in a big counterattack.

• buying an extra bomber aint not a bad idea. I played a game last night -lost it offcourse :wink:- and i hit a lot of transports with my bomber. The chances are quite high you can hit 3 transports with one single bomber, my opponent had to place a battleship on US east coast to protect his newly build transports. And i used my bomber for bombing missions in Russia, if you combine this with a japanese bomber, the russians hardly have any ipc’s left to spend on defences.

• '19 Moderator

I would hit Ukraine with everything I could. I would still hit the British ships (North Sea and Labrador) But I could still get 4 armor and 5 Inf. I think it is important to eliminate the russian armor.

I would build 9Inf and 1Arm.

Then Attack at least one russian territory a turn with Germany and if possible with Japan.

The Russian basicly has no offencive power at this time so the threat of counter attack is at a minmum.

Personaly I am happy when I see this situation with Germany.

• I agree, bring everything to Ukraine that you can, but still try to destroy the British fleet. Forget Africa. Once the russian tanks are gone, you win. Have Japan pressure the Us hard.

• If Russia attacks Ukraine first turn, then they are sticking their neck out to get it chopped off. They would destroy a few infantry, a few tanks, and a fighter. THey would probably lose much of their infantry defensive base. If they use their fighters as well, that means that they did not use the fighters against Germanys northern fleet, which in turn means that it may have survived the sub/transport attack. Lastly, they will have divided their forces, exposed their tanks, probably evacuated the Caucasus, and only gained a territory worth 3 ipcs. In this case destroy the remnants of their attack force, take the caucasus with one or two infantry, and use the north fleet to help destroy the British fleet. This may even free up the sub in the Bay of Biscay for use against the American or Canadian transport(okay odds). In Africa, well either don’t send troops to certain death in the caucasus, or destroy the american transport so that it is okay to wait one turn.
    All in all, there is a bright side to the position you described.
    ;->

• If Russia attacks Ukraine first turn, then they are sticking their neck out to get it chopped off. They would destroy a few infantry, a few tanks, and a fighter. THey would probably lose much of their infantry defensive base. If they use their fighters as well, that means that they did not use the fighters against Germanys northern fleet, which in turn means that it may have survived the sub/transport attack. Lastly, they will have divided their forces, exposed their tanks, probably evacuated the Caucasus, and only gained a territory worth 3 ipcs. In this case destroy the remnants of their attack force, take the caucasus with one or two infantry, and use the north fleet to help destroy the British fleet. This may even free up the sub in the Bay of Biscay for use against the American or Canadian transport(okay odds). In Africa, well either don’t send troops to certain death in the caucasus, or destroy the american transport so that it is okay to wait one turn.
    All in all, there is a bright side to the position you described.
    $-)

• Thats not what I was trying to imply. What I am saying is if Russia Attacks with ONLY 4 infantry, plus the tanks and fighers, go heavy on ukraine. As Russia I always would attack ukraine, but I would use much more infantry.

• I would probably send my atlantic sub after the Brit Med battleship - I would also bring along my battleship and transport. Load a tank on the transport and consolodate on Algeria. You might even land a fighter there on non-combat moves. You might also use one infantry unit to take Gibraltor instead of delivering a tank to Africa. This would prevent the British fighters from attacking your German med fleet in GB round 1.

I would send my German sub against the Atlantic fleet with 4 fighters and a bomber.

I would attack Karelia with all ground forces in Eastern Europe and Finland/Norway and with 2 troops brought via the german transport. Attack for one round only and withdraw to Eastern Europe. Hopefully you get more kills on him than he gets on you.

Think of it this way, if you loose less than 4, you come out ahead. You would have lost the 4 units in Finland/Norway one way or another. If you loose four units, make them all infantry - you saved the tank. If you loose more than four - you can shoot me. =)

Move southern europe infantry to western europe, land fighters there too. Move tanks in Western Europe to Eastern. Move German infantry to Eastern Europe.

The entire European allied fleet now consists of 2 transports and a sub in the med, and you’ve consolidated a large force in Eastern Europe.

• thats all assuming russia restricted?

• Still, if Russia attacks Ukraine,
    1. you can hit them with everything in estern europe.
    2. you can also hit them with two more infantry (or one more tank) via transport through the black sea.
    3. If you do add troops by sea, you can also hit them with a battleship shot
    4. The bomber and most of the fighters are also within range to kill the russian tanks.
    5. If they hit Ukraine, they probably left caucasus empty, so you can take it by sea with a single infantry.
    6. Remember to renforce Eastern wit troops from Germany and tanks from weatern.
    7.remember to reinforce germany with newly bought inf or armor.

I attacked Ukraine with Russia (and very good luck as well) once and got all these things done to me. Tell me what I should have done if you don’t agree with me that attacking Ukr. is a bad idea.

• My post was assuming the situation that xenophobe outlined in his original post.

Monk of Doom

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m