• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Okay, in the old days of Hasbro’s Axis and Allies CD Rom you could play on the MSN Gaming Zone.  A club was formed (1942 I think) that had a rating system where by you could challenge your way up the ladder (like a chess club)

Are there any such organizations today?  DAAK doesn’t count.  I hate their dicey and I worry about running across only german speakers.

• I wouldn’t be too eager about it if I were you. You already rate yourself number 1, there’s only downhill from there.  :wink:

There is still a CD club and of course FoE, AAMC, and one or two other ones.  Although I find the pts based systems suspect at best and can be manipulated if a player only cares about pts.

Perhaps, I’ll talk to Switch and see if we want to do something here.  We certainly have enough active players to consider it.  I’ve been hesitant in the past to start “ranking” players either in Classic or Revised for several reasons, but would consider it if Switch and I could come up with what we thought was a “fair” system, perhaps something with user input as well.

But as for now, Jen you can be #1!  Everyone challange Jen!  :-D

• I am reluctant to do this for several reasons…

1.  We would HAVE to have our own program dice server that could be overviewed by site staff (such as DAAK maintains via game logging).
    2.  We would have to create a game ranking/dispute resolution format, and dedicate people to staff that aspect of the site
    3.  We would have to have extreme control over memberships in order to prevent people gaming themselves to boost their ranking (DAAK had major problems with this early on before they IP locked registrations/cross checked all completed games against IP numbers, and that is a LOT of work!)

Personally, I am not willing to dedicate the time to maintain THAT level of oversight of the Games area.  I can barely peek at the occasional game, play whatever game I am engaged in at the moment, admin 2 Tournaments a year, watch the General and Political Boards, and not end up divorced.  At to do THAT I have been logged in here over 36 DAYS in the past 9 months, 12% of the time.

If folks want to be rated… play the 2 Tournaments each year.  Just like the NFL… you win, you get to claim #1 (and we actually have the Tournaments set up to rank #1 through #4 because of Consolation Games).  Come mid January, the Singles Title is back up for grabs…

AAMC sounds familiar.

I agree with Switch.  This is a site to discuss strategies and play for fun.  Maybe a tournament every so often.  I wouldn’t turn this into a hard core gaming site.  It would ruin the embiage (sp?)

I’ll look at AAMC…

Tournaments aren’t very accurate either.
    Technically speaking last Springs was extremely suspect with several defaults.  You probably only played one real game and the championship was a real let down.  I am glad you guys did end up playing another game.
    But outside of the first rd, it seemed burn-out really was a drag amoung the other standard tournament drag downs.
    Even this 2 on 2 has already had complaints about time constraints, blah blah blah.

I agree the DAAK route is Waaaaay too much work, however DAAK isn’t accurate nor are any other pt based systems.  Too easy to manipulate even without the “playing yourself” thing.

IMO there are better more accurate ways to “rank” players, but again, I’m not sure if we really want to go there.

Heck some people take losses in the tournament pretty hard.

Another thing to consider would be a League with a few regulars or something.

How and why would you be allowed to “play yourself” for points!?!?!?  Just create two accounts??

• That is the problem DAAK had… multiple accounts, 1 user.

• @ncscswitch:

That is the problem DAAK had… multiple accounts, 1 user.

Yeah, they didn’t know anything was wrong until Switchie here started climbing up their ladder. That certainly tipped them off that something wasn’t right.  :lol:

Anyway, this is what he got out of it before he was caught: (Shamelessly quoting from Switch’s signature)

Democracy = 2 wolves and a sheep voting on what’s for dinner…
    13-4, ranked 6th at DAAK.

:mrgreen:

• LOL!  DAAK’s problems pre-date me by about 5 years.

Also Sankt, if you were correct in that statement, YOU would be one of my alternate persona’s :-P

1. Play at Triple A is also an option

2. Nothing beats FTF tournaments if you can go to them

Squirecam

• You know, i have to be honest.

I really enjoy having this board set up in my study and getting online in the evenings, updating my board, and posting my next set of moves.

My game board is such a permanent fixture that when we re-did the study a few weeks ago, Angel picked the colors for the walls based on the game board (3 walls are the darkest of the board border tan, 1 wall is the same deep blue as the oceans)

FTF is nice.  And perhaps I can lock Bebo down for a game at some point (since he is only about 30 minutes from here).  But this online thing…

Good players.  And a very relaxing game (most of the time! :-)  )

I enjoy doing the same on the virtual board.  But then, I have a different situation then most players on this forum, i think…what with young kids running around getitng into everything.

• It’s the TripleA ladder.

Although I don’t expect you to read this.

Can’t do TripleA via email/message forums though. :(

• 1.  Download TripleA onto your computer.
    2.  Play TripleA by email.

That’s right, by email.

The program uses an online dice server to get dice results.  After you finish your noncombat movement, you save the file and send it as an attachment to your opponent.

That sounds like Witch talk!

Burn him!  Buuuuuuurrrrrn hiiiiiimmmmm!

• Does anyone see the possibility of Avalon or Wizards making a PC version of the game like they did for the old 2nd edition version http://www.boardgame.de/reviews/axispc.htm? I’m learning C++ at college and I’m in the VERY early stages of creating such a game. I figure it is the perfect “motivational” project for me to learn C++…… for the next 2 years or so…

That is a possible install I have brought up, but that really depends upon a general forum interest in said programs use…

GG

• I would love to see a PC version of Revised… with a high grade AI.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m