• Has anyone played where you can use artillery to fire against enemy units and not enter battle?

Just off the top of my head, I would say it would go something like this…

Artillery can decide to fire at enemy units in an adjacent space instead of attack moving or moving.  The artillery scores a hit on a 1. 
    Enemy artillery may fire back at the bombarding artillery.

This would not be extremely overpowering in most circumstances with 1 in 6 odds, but it would n=make artillery very useful on fronts which are at a stalemate.

If the enemy artillery were able to fire back, it would also place the attacker at a disadvantage as they only lose artillery while the opponent can lose any unit.

This would make a interesting artillery power struggle, as a player who is on the defense and not even interested in attacking would have to keep sufficient artillery to keep enemy artillery from freely harassing their forces.

It would add a new dynamic in which players would have to take in consideration how soon a conflict may occur on a front, as the extra infantry could be more valuable if there was going to quickly be a conflict while the artillery would be more useful in a prolonged conflict.

• Yea i got this in some of my games:

1. in some cases this is used under my Rail gun unit. They shoot preemtively into adjacent territory.

2. in other cases i allow heavy artillery units to perform one salvo (preemtively) only in the opening round of combat to simulate a “prepared defense”

• Draft a rule for cross territory bombardment and we use it for our heavy artillery tech.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I’ve done something similar, which worked well…not perfectly, but well.

You can use 1 artillery per 2 attacking infantry.  The artillery piece can choose to remain out of direct combat (aka fire under in-direct fire) (1 province away) and hit on a ‘1’ or may enter combat (aka fire under direct fire) and hit on a ‘1’ or ‘2’

I’ve also done a table thing where we determined the average loss of infantry on the front and just did a “I declare attrition” moves for Russia and Germany instead.  Attrition was more like a strafe then trading and it was based on number of attacking infantry only.

8 Infantry = 2 Hits, 1 Casualty
    15 Infantry = 4 Hits, 2 Casualties
    19 Infantry = 5 Hits, 3 Casualties
    Every 3 Infantry above 19 = +1 Hits, +1 Casualites Received

• whats hits and casualties?

is it like dices and max. damage in our amphibious assault naval bombardment?

@tekkyy:

whats hits and casualties?

is it like dices and max. damage in our amphibious assault naval bombardment?

Hits:  Enemy Units Killed in the Attack
    Casualties: Your Units Killed in the Attack

So if you perform an attrition with 19 Russians you remove 5 German infantry and remove 3 Russian infantry.

Note, you can add up all western front infantry for Russia and remove Germans from any eastern front territory.  These territories MUST be bordering.

Note, this only works for Caucasus, Archangelsk, Karelia, West Russia, Belorussia, Eastern Europe and Balkans.

Note, both Germany and Russia can declare an Attrition.

Note, you may EITHER do an attrition OR you can do conventional attacks.  (Yes, that means if you attrition your tanks and planes cannot also attack enemy lands on that front.  They can move to the other front to attack however.)

• Reminds me of the “attrition option” from third Reich… as opposed to the “offensive option” costing 15 brp’s

@Imperious:

Reminds me of the “attrition option” from third Reich… as opposed to the “offensive option” costing 15 brp’s

Yup, pretty much where we got the idea.  Never could get my buddies interested in a hex map with cardboard chits game.  They liked the pretty pieces in AandA

• We have similar vision. Thats a compliment.

AH Third Reich is one of the best resources for designing a game if ever their was one. You dig deep and you’ll see many ideas that i pulled from it in the early concepts.

The John Prados version or that stupid GMT abomination “world at war” are not even clever copies of the original masterpiece.

@Imperious:

We have similar vision. Thats a compliment.

AH Third Reich is one of the best resources for designing a game if ever their was one. You dig deep and you’ll see many ideas that i pulled from it in the early concepts.

The John Prados version or that stupid GMT abomination “world at war” are not even clever copies of the original masterpiece.

Yea, it really was a great game.  I wish it’s naval combat was a bit more like it’s land combat, but even that’s decent.

Though, the attrition got a bit bogged down at times.  People just never knew when to do a heavy tank assault and try to cut huge chunks of enemy units off from their supply causing them to retreat or die! hehe

• Well in the advanced game they abstract the various naval ideas with having the ASW box, the U-boat box, the convoy box and you invest money to fight UK’s economy or invest to fight the subs.  Its probably all they could do with the naval aspect due to the complexity of the land sequence. I love the breakthru and exploitation concept in that game and i love breaking the Soviet line. The build sequence and the ability to invest in your economy BRP growth rate is a valued concept that many games miss. This is a very realistic concept. I have in my latter games and i took it from this great game. Damm it you got me looking for that game just to look at it. ( i own 3 copies of it).

arrg! :|

The other nice thing is everyone’s tanks, infantry, planes, etc were not the same!  Some hit harder, some moved faster, etc!

• Yea soviet tanks are 3-5, german are 4-6 and some are 5-6 ( the SS panzerkorps)

Italy and UK have some at 2-5

otherwise its 1-3, 2-3, and 3-3 or 3-4 (USA)  for infantry… simple and realistic.

@Imperious:

Yea soviet tanks are 3-5, german are 4-6 and some are 5-6 ( the SS panzerkorps)

Italy and UK have some at 2-5

otherwise its 1-3, 2-3, and 3-3 or 3-4 (USA)  for infantry… simple and realistic.

Didnt America also have 5-6 tanks?

• Nope.

The US had very inferior tanks to the top of the line German tanks.

We just had more.

@ncscswitch:

Nope.

The US had very inferior tanks to the top of the line German tanks.

We just had more.

But that doesn"t answer the question of didn"t the game ship with US tanks that were 5-6 in designation?

• Not in the counter mix. They are 4-6

4-6 was still good in the game though.  Since you could only have 2 + aircraft per territory…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m