• I was curious on what other people typically did for Japan. Do others primarily focus on preventing America from aiding Russia and Britain, or is your primary concern invading Asia and helping Germany finish off the USSR? In my games, Japan tends to be the weak link, and I want to know your strategies for dealing the most damage with it.

• Japan has to assist with killing USSR, otherwise the Axis loses.

Build TRN’s, start offloading forces to Asia, and keep your “pipeline” full so that if Russia counter-attacks, you are solid behind your front and can keep your offensive going.

Basically, the only way to play Japan is as a relentless wave of forces flowing toward Moscow… mostly INF, backed up by your AF to provide offensive punch… and you simply “walk” to Russia 1 territory at a time using overwhelming INF and AF against a divided Russia.

Of course the kicker is that Germany has to be played in a manner that allows Germany to preserve their offensive threat on Russia.  If Germany has to turtle and no longer threatens the USSR, then Japan will never be able to sustain a break in the E/N/K perimeter and will be slowly but inexorably driven back into the Pacific…

• I concur with brother Switch!! Want to play me Solo?? Do you still think you might be the better player? Prove it. I remember what you said.

• Concentrate on taking as much of Asia as you can, using your air force along with troops. Build at least 2 trn on the first round, and maybe 3 inf. Once you have 4 trns shipping 8 inf per round toward Russia, you can build a factory in Manchuria that can send an additional 3 tanks per round at Russia.

• W/O restricted IC’s (as Classic is set up), to heck with IC’s, keep your TRN’s full, building more as needed,  and ship everything from Japan!

• I disagree there. Once you flood the continent with infantry,I believe IC’s can be very useful in kicking out tanks. But you do need to flood the area with infantry first.

• Nah, just keep building TRN’s to send the ARM and INF…

It adds the benefit of scaring the shite out of the US and forcing them to consider a landign in Alaska with a TON of units…

• Thank you, everyone. I always send some Armor into USSR and the mainland to support the units already there, but since I’ve never played a game against another person with me playing Axis (I’ve only done it against either AI or myself), it’s more difficult to get a feel for it, you know?

And MADDOGG… Please, just leave me alone. I am generally a nice and respectful guy, unless you do something to annoy me, as you did. The second response was fine, but just forgive and forget, alright?

• OK, I’ll leave you alone… Now where is this Dethsquad character. I want some of his ass!!

• If you focus too much on the Asian continent, you can get allot of resources every turn, the downside is that you are leaving Germany high and dry. If all 3 Allies are going for Germany, they wont last long. Push on Russia but make sure you leave enough forces south to defend. Just your presence alone will rattle the Red Army and alleviate some pressure from Germany. If you have the chance to push south also, do that, just don’t forget to have a strong front in Russia that will make them want to pull to the other side of moscow.

I call this conservatively aggressive.

• @ncscswitch:

Japan has to assist with killing USSR, otherwise the Axis loses.

Build TRN’s, start offloading forces to Asia, and keep your “pipeline” full so that if Russia counter-attacks, you are solid behind your front and can keep your offensive going.

Basically, the only way to play Japan is as a relentless wave of forces flowing toward Moscow… mostly INF, backed up by your AF to provide offensive punch… and you simply “walk” to Russia 1 territory at a time using overwhelming INF and AF against a divided Russia.

Of course the kicker is that Germany has to be played in a manner that allows Germany to preserve their offensive threat on Russia. If Germany has to turtle and no longer threatens the USSR, then Japan will never be able to sustain a break in the E/N/K perimeter and will be slowly but inexorably driven back into the Pacific…

You seem like a very good axis player and I would enjoy the chance to play you at a game of A&A. I play in a club where we play with the cd I don’t know where you guys play. I play on WarZone in a club called aawc. maybe you or anyone else who wants to would be interested in checking us out. www.axisandalliesworldclub.com

• Most of us game in the Games area of this site (play by forum).

Currently we have a Revised Tournament in progress.

If you are using the CD-ROM, then you are playing 2nd and/or 3rd Edition, or what is commonly called “Classic”.  We have a number of Classic players here, and I am sure that several of them would be happy to have some new opponents!

Brwose around the site, make yourself comfortable, and welcome aboard!

• You have a server of classic players in here?

• We have a number of Classic players.  Some of them are listed in on the Active Players roster under the Find a Game topic area.  But not all Classic players have yet chosen to list themselves there.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=7144.0

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Unfortunately, I have to concur.  The only proven strategy is to build units to take Asia and knock out the hawaiian fleet on J1.

Though, others have tried to the US first, you just don’t have the production to out produce the United States and give up going for England until you own the IC in Karelia with Japan.

• As far as the US fleet, I use minimal forces. I attack it with both battleships and the sub and the fighter from the Carolina Islands. Usually the US makes 2 hits, so I lose the sub and 1 battleship. Then the US usually attacks the remaining battleship and that draws their battleship away from Europe for 1 turn.

Actually, I normally bring a bomber from Japan to Pearl as well.  I have plenty to attack China and SFE without it, and I can use it for a casualty at Pearl so I don’t loose a bomber.  (Or, if I’m feeling gutsy, I might even use a fighter for Hawaii and bring some infantry…removes an airport for a US counter attack, means the E. USA fighter cannot come to play.)

• As the Russians I love to see Japan send troops after Hawaii on the first turn because it leaves them critically weakened in Asia on successive rounds of play.  If Japan cannot achieve an early push in Asia so that Russia has to fall back to Moscow thereby surrendering Yakut and Sink then the Russians can stall the Japanese almost indefinately by moving from Kaz to Novo and forcing the Japanese to defend two fronts which are both far from their capital.  If the Japanese don’t play it perfectly, India may end up liberated, and or Yakut is held by Russia late into the game by which point Berlin should be about to fall and Japan will be too far away to do anything about it.  Plus an assertive Russian push in Asia compels Japan to stay at home and defend these Ipcs rather than go playing around in Africa.  If they do anyway Russia could end up camped in Mongolia which is really bad news for Japan as it makes Yakut, Manch, China, and Sink possible dead zones and will probably force Japan to fall back to defend either Manch or Yakut again leaving Sink, China and or India open for the taking.  Once the Russians are fully mobilized on the Eastern front Japan cannot afford to give up India because it can be very difficult to get back and may require giving up something like Yakut to do it.

When it comes to Classic, sending troops to Hawaii really doesn’t effect Asia at all.  You have plenty of cash to fill 3 transports (and buy them too) with Japan on J1, and if your entire Japanese strategy hangs on the balance of 2 infantry you are REALLY in trouble!

• NO!!!    Playing Japan in Asia is not about playing defense but about playing offense and creating pressure on Russia.  If you wait too long to do this then the Allies will have mobilized enabling Russia to send its army east creating all sorts of havoc for the Japanese.  But above all else it enables Russia with its shorter supply lines to bottle up the Japanese in the same way the Allies can do to Germany in the West.  If you are counting on Japan to win the game for you because you accept this will happen to Germany then you must be able to guarantee that Japan can win the game for you by getting Novo.  If you delay yourself in Asia for meaningless ipcs in Hawaii, Austrailia and New Zealand then this won’t be possible.  Further, as you point out Japan’s problem is usually having too much money so why give them more dollars they can’t use?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m