• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

According to the map, it appears the US owns Greenland, though it’s worthless for monetary gain.

What I wonder is if it is a viable staging ground for D-Day?  It seems to have the pre-requisite 2 spaces from the invasion site one would want.  And you could stockpile a few rounds of infantry, artillery, tanks and planes there with no real effort.

• 2007 AAR League

It’s basically a worthless land mass just taking up space, it shares the same seazone with the UK.  You’re better off staging in UK since it borders 5 seazones giving you far more options.

• I agree Greenland is just a waste of board space =P At least Gibraltar has some limited tactical use and the Japanese mini-islands have infantry to grab….Jsp is 100% correct you’re better off staging in UK because not only does it share the same seazone, but it has tons of other seazones to launch off of.

My picture must be bad, it looked like Greenland was a seperate sea zone which would have made UK 3 zones away, or two turns by ship.

• The Geenland sea zone SZ2 is three away from SZ10 the US East Coast sea zone. So it isn’t your picture. It is Revised Transition Syndrome.

• I’ve seen Greenland used twice under very specific circumstances:  the US counterattack against Germany’s turn 1 Operation Sea Lion using Long Range Aircraft.  If Germany is skilled and lucky, it can effectively eliminate the UK’s chances of recapturing the home island on turn 1 if it can destroy the transport off the coast of Canada.  However, the US can conduct an amphibious assault to try to retake Great Britain on its turn.  Greenland comes into play here by being the one place where a bomber launched from the Eastern US can land after supporting an amphibious assault across the Atlantic into Great Britain.  That’s really the only time I’ve seen Greenland used at all during a game.

@frimmel:

The Geenland sea zone SZ2 is three away from SZ10 the US East Coast sea zone. So it isn’t your picture. It is Revised Transition Syndrome.

What’s RTS?

• RTS- Revised Transition Syndrome is where you look at the revised map and keep moving things around on it like it is the Classic map.

When we first started Revised my many many games of Classic opponent had to be constantly told, “can’t move that there.” Three times on his first US move he tried to put his SZ10 transports in SZ2, “that is where I always move them.” There are a few other things like the inside/outside seazones around Japan. He kept trying to move TRNs from the outside zone to Wake or the Philipines and landing in Manchuria his first game as Axis.

Does that make any sense?

Yea, I’ve found it frustrating that it takes too long to move my fleet from DC to LA or vice versa with USA.  The double sea zone around Japan isn’t a problem for me, I’ve played that optional rule for a while now…actually, I played a double sea zone rule for UK too…we just allowed fleets to co-exist and stated “other side of the island” in a classic game.

• Then you are several steps ahead of the game. It doesn’t take long to adjust. I was lucky and didn’t have lots of “auto moves” I was used to doing. We never played with lots of House Rules. I have fun when guys who are only familiar with Classic look at the board when we are playing and go “Why don’t you…Ohhhh.” The other big RTS thing is continuing to pay 12 for your fighters I had to keep reminding a different opponent about that one. He also kept trying to drop troops below the Sahara from TRNs in the East US.

We are pretty much over that stuff now and are hopefully improving our play.

• 2007 AAR League

When I got game of AAR the British Set up card had a mis-print listing the cost of fighters at 12.  We originally thought this was part of the Revisions & the UK had to pay more for their Spitfires.  It was several months before I got around to researching it & discovering it was indeed a misprint.  :lol:

Yea, I still think of 42 US IPCs as 1 fighter and 2 bombers with nothing remaining instead of just 4 fighters with 2 remaining. (I usually go fighter heavy with the US, especially in classic.  It’s just so bloody convenient not to need transports and to move them all in 1 or 2 jumps!)

• The only thing I have ever used greenland for is a place to land US fighters.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m