• I am confused (yes i read the manual many times), i’m very new to the game (boardgame) and can’t figure out some things:

1. There are only so many industrial complexes, so after tehy are all bought, then you can’t buy any more?? So is it a good strategy to buy em quickly to prevent the other side from getting them?

2. If i attack an island/coast with a sub, and transporter (w/ tank), and there are 2 infantry and a sub defending…. can the attacking sub shoot the land units? And if all the defending land units are dead, can the sub hold the island?? Or do the tanks just automatically take it?

I will have more questions, but let’s start with these :) Thanks!

• 1. There are only so many industrial complexes, so after tehy are all bought, then you can’t buy any more?? So is it a good strategy to buy em quickly to prevent the other side from getting them?

Yes, once all the factory pieces are used up, no more can be built. Whether its a good strategy to use them all up is debateble. They cost 15 IPCs each and provide no offense or defense ability by themselves. Your opponent can build units and just capture the factories they want from you. If you know that building factories is fundamental to your opponent’s strategy, then you maight consider buying them out.

2. If i attack an island/coast with a sub, and transporter (w/ tank), and there are 2 infantry and a sub defending…. can the attacking sub shoot the land units? And if all the defending land units are dead, can the sub hold the island?? Or do the tanks just automatically take it?

Okay, there are really 2 battles happening here, and not 1. First the Naval battle occurs. Only the units in the Seazone can participate. Units on transports can not fire. If the transport carrying them is sunk, then the carried units are lost too. Ouch!

If the attacker destroys all enemy units in the sea zone, then the transports unload their cargo in to the land zone, and the land battle occurs. If the attacker has battleships in the seazone with unloading transports, then the battleships get a single shot at 4. The battleship can not be hit by defending land units.

The sub is a naval unit, so if it survives the naval combat it can not participate in the land combat at all. If the attacker has planes involved they must be committed to either the naval battle or the land battle, but not both! Make sure you have the movement points to get the planes to the seazone or land zone for the battle and get back to a friendly territory to land.

I hope this answers your questions. Just remember that the seazone and the land adjacent to it are completely separate areas, where separate battles occur. Naval units fight in seazones, then transports unload into land zones, to fight separate land battles. The only exception is the single supporting shot for a battleship to support an amphibious assault.

• :lol:

• Thanks, you really helped out. I was confused about planes and who they had to attack (you helped though). So if i wanted to save them for the land battle, then i would just verbally say that i’m holding off with them?

1. Also, if they are defending with planes on the island, then those planes would only be involved in the transport landing units right? Is the transporter cannon fodder there too, or just in naval battles?

2. The manual says that transporters can be used as cannon fodder, but they have to spot on the attack board. So if i’m involved in the sea battle prior to the amphibious attack, then where do i put that transporter. I know it has no attack value, but it’s still involved in the attack! right?!

• “1. Also, if they are defending with planes on the island, then those planes would only be involved in the transport landing units right? Is the transporter cannon fodder there too, or just in naval battles?”

Correct, the defender’s ftrs are only used against the land units. The transport, however, can only be used in cannon fodder in naval battles, not in landing operations. As a side note, if your transport is hit in the naval battle (if any) before it can unload into a land battle, both the transport and the infantry are both lost.

“The manual says that transporters can be used as cannon fodder, but they have to spot on the attack board. So if i’m involved in the sea battle prior to the amphibious attack, then where do i put that transporter. I know it has no attack value, but it’s still involved in the attack! right?!”

Correct, it is still involved in the attack, though the transport (on offense) does not get to fire. It may be used a fodder as you said.

• Ha, :wink:
    maybe you’ll beat me to the post on something else. 8)

• I agree with Zero on all his comments except on the above regarding battleships.

Battleships are allowed their special one shot only if they were not involved in a naval battle. If the battleship is present in the same SZ as a naval battle, it has to participate (just like any attacking transports present). After the naval battle, the battleship’s turn is done and it cannot fire its special one shot onto the land battle.

Wild2000 is right. Silly me. That’s a house rule we have that Battleships can participate in both battles. Silly me.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m