• #1 Air Supremacy

Fighters can support infantry attacks and artillery defense if no enemy fighters are present or remain in combat. Air supremacy increases your infantry’s attack to 2 or your artillery’s defense to 3. Each infantry or artillery must be matched one-for-one with a supporting fighter.

#2 Air Supremacy

Fighters attack or defend in the opening fire step of combat if no enemy fighters are present or remain in combat.

• OK BETTER… WHERE ARE THE NA’S?

• @Imperious:

OK BETTER… WHERE ARE THE NA’S?

I likr the other ones you made. I will take other look on them this weekend! Are not you busy with football games?  :wink:

• ok

• I am for 2

• 2 sounds better…

• Seems like many people use #2 as a standard rule for A&A (all versions)! Is there anyone who use an alternative rule for air supremacy as a standard?

• I say that every land unit except a plane would D1 and A1 against a plane. I don’t think if you have planes and they don’t it would make your inf. attack better. My theory is that the only good defense against bombers and planes would be planes. Inf. and Tanks are just sitting ducks to fighter craft.

• This is how I Play.

Fighter vs Fighter- A3,D4
    Fighter vs Tank- A3,D1
    Fighter vs Art.- A3, D1
    Fighter vs Inf.- A3, D1
    Fighter vs Destroyer- A3, Anti-Air Roll 1
    Fighter vs Battleship- A3, Anit-Air Roll 1 or 2
    Fighter vs Carrier- A3, Anti-Air Roll 1 or 2

• In AARHE, we last thought of…

Air units engage in dogfighting until one side has air supermacy.
    Air unts attack in opening-fire when no enemy air units are present. FTR but not BMR gets a selective attack.

@Admiral_Thrawn:

My theory is that the only good defense against bombers and planes would be planes. Inf. and Tanks are just sitting ducks to fighter craft.

We came across a difficult situation trying to model “air units cannot take hits from land units”, or simply INF and ARM can’t kill FTR or BMR.

Should air units can able to attack forever? This opens up defender retreat.
    (1 FTR attack 10 ARM)

Should air units be forced to retreat after “land control” is lost?
    (10 ARM attack 1 FTR)

Should defending units be forced to retreat regardless? This opens up “final cycles” before air units are forced to retreat.
    (1 INF attack 10 FTR)

You are encouraged to join a 5 page discussion at http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=6384.0  :-)

• @tekkyy:

We came across a difficult situation trying to model “air units cannot take hits from land units”, or simply INF and ARM can’t kill FTR or BMR.

Should air units can able to attack forever? YES This opens up defender retreat.
    (1 FTR attack 10 ARM)

Should air units be forced to retreat after “land control” is lost? NO
    (10 ARM attack 1 FTR)

Should defending units be forced to retreat regardless? YES This opens up “final cycles” before air units are forced to retreat.
    (1 INF attack 10 FTR)

Keep it simple to speed up the game, no separate “dog fights” before combat! Maybe for the more advanced players, but then my suggestion is:

A dog fight always takes place in the opening fire step of combat, for the first cycle of combat only. Any hit scored in such a dog fight must be taken by a bomber or fighter, hence air units must be picked as casualties for a dog fight as long as enemy air units still excists. For the second or later cycle of combat fighters fire in opening fire step of combat as long as no enemy fighters are present. Otherwise still attack during the regular combat phase.

• Yeah thats much like where are we at, at the moment
    Air units attack land units in opening fire.
    Dogfighting is not a “separate” thing, air units engage in dogfighting and dogfighting only until air supermacy.

• Yes i second that… air fights air untill one side has so air and following that hits go against land forces as preemtives. Thats very simple.

• @Imperious:

Yes i second that… air fights air untill one side has so air and following that hits go against land forces as preemtives. Thats very simple.

One need to think more than once before engage an enemy force of figthers and how to protect those bombers. By your rule fighters will be a very important unit, maybe too important and hence become a game breaker. However I will try it in my next game. Another variant would be what I suggested before, air-to-air combat for the first cycle of combat were only air units may be taken as casualies. If no side has got air supremacy after the first cycle of combat, the fighters attack as normal. If air supremacy then fighters attack/defend during opening fire step of combat!

• Who voted #1 and why?

• @B.:

Another variant would be what I suggested before, air-to-air combat for the first cycle of combat were only air units may be taken as casualies. If no side has got air supremacy after the first cycle of combat, the fighters attack as normal. If air supremacy then fighters attack/defend during opening fire step of combat!

No dogfighting only for first cycle of combat? Can land units hit air units?

• @tekkyy:

No dogfighting only for first cycle of combat? Can land units hit air units?

What I mean is a kind of opening fire step for air units and AA-guns only. Hence no land units can hit air in this dog fight, except for AA-guns. But this air only hit air is for the first cycle  of combat only, there after air hit normally if enemy fighters still remain in the combat. Otherwise fighters hit in the opening fire step of combat for the rest cycles of that combat.

• so on the second combat round if both sides have fighters then fighter hits are allocated to land forces in the usual fashion?

• @Imperious:

so on the second combat round if both sides have fighters then fighter hits are allocated to land forces in the usual fashion?

Yes! However I like your suggestion were air units always fire in the opening fire step of combat and any hits should be taken by enemy air units prior land or naval units. I have tried it once and it makes air really powerful, but still verry expensive!

• What about this variant?

#3 Air Supremacy

Fighters and bombers always attack or defend in the opening fire step of combat. Any hit from a fighter or bomber should be taken by enemy air units prior land or naval units.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m