• I was wondering if you think fortifying africa first turn with us is appropriate at the potential loss of their ships. First turn you can obviously put 2 inf/1art/1 armor into algeria.  If I coordiante with UK, UK can move their battleship into the area next to algeria ( i believe it is 12) from there I will move my two trannies/destroyer so that is the army that will defend.  The only place german aircraft can attack that spot is from Western Europe/Libya. In my experience there is usually only one plane left in western europe so I am looking at an attack force of at the most 2 fighters/bomber/sub/battleship/trannie.  This is just one scenario, but it is the worst case scenario I believe I would be looking at.  Do you think this tradeoff is worthwhile, or should I just plan on putting initial us forces into algeria us2 after I have reinforced with additional navy bought on turn 1 (aircraft carrier and possibly a destroyer although it would most likely just be another aircraft carrier with 2 fighters).  I think this is an important move, I never realized until the other day that it is possible to have troops into africa in one turn.  In the games I have played Africa is usually a huge staging point/money pit so I would like to get a fair number of troops in there early on.  Opinions please.Â

Edit:  Well I see that this was discussed in the open Japan thread.  I am wondering if I should just wait until US2 to move troops to Algeria.  It would save me 28 IPCS worth of ships (if germany did decide to attack which I am sure they would), but then my troop movement and transportation will be a turn behind.  I guess it doesn’t matter since initially I don’t have the funds to buy reinforcements to stock my trannies (other than  a few infantry).  I don’t know how much it will set me back though.  I guess I could try doing one full tranny run on us2.  At least I would have my fighters and my ac to back up my fleet. not really sure, i will probably have to figure out my options on paper.

• In my experience there are more German Fighters involved- usually up to 5 + the Bomber. Also in my experience the German player has taken their Med navy to Egypt. This generally occurs in non-bid games. So first you should define what type of game is being played (bid or non-bid), + examine exactly how many German Fighters could potentially attack.

If no German navy is involved, I would go to Algeria in a second. Make sure that your Russian sub goes to SZ2 on R1, and follows to SZ12 on R2. The trade for German aircraft is absolutely worth your while if they use no navy to absorb losses. The allied first turn build is critical as well.

• well in every game I have played germany always takes the UK bb so they would be in place to attack troops in algeria, so if the navy is involved are you saying that I should avoid an algeria move us1?  if so I will def do it us2 (i am doing it at some point in time, already made up my mind) and if i do it on us2 i will most likely have an extra destroyer and an ac + 2 fighters to add to 3 trannies and my 2 other destroyers, of course I can always wait til us 3 and then I will have another tranny and a bb. any suggestions 88?

• '10

I normally send those US trannies north to help out in europe, but if you plan on sending them to africa on turn two wouldn’t it be better to land them south of the sahara (ie move them to brazil on turn1, then to africa turn2)?

Your army (and transports) will be less vulnerable, and it gives you more options in the defence of africa.

• Personally I like to get troops to Africa as soon as possible, as it begins the liberation process earlier. You must be either playing with an Axis bid or inexperienced Axis players if they don’t take Egypt on the first round. Killing Egypt is a must if you’re Germany.

If Germany does bring their navy forward to Gibraltar, than yes, I’d hold back, and bring a huge force on round 2. Going north or south is also an option. Going to Brazil allows you to clean up Africa much more quickly from below, but can put you out of position as well. Going North is good to help Britain gain a foothold in Norway.

• OK 88, no i like the africa deployment plan, but do you suggest dropping my guys off in algeria or below algeria round 2?  also what kind of force will I be looking at.  If I hit algeria then that means I can feasibly get 3 inf/1 art/2 tanks into there, and then the round after that I can deploy an airplane or two from my carrier.  also what type of navy would you suggest I build t1/t2, I was looking at an initial build of 1 ac, 1 sub, 1 trannie, 1 inf, 1 armor

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m