• 2007 AAR League

Low Luck makes this game more interesting. It prevents silly things from happening such as losing 2 fighters to two transports. It makes the game more realistic. What are your insights?

Low Luck example

2 inf, art, arm vs 4 inf

1+ 2*+2+3=8 take a 6 (whole hit) out and roll for the rest. so the attackers woudl score one hit and roll for a 2 or less

2+2+2+2=8 same thing for the defenders

2ftr vs dest    In regular A&A thsi si a very bad move, but in Low Luck its not that bad at all

3+3=6 hit the dest is dest  :-D

the dest rolls for 3 or less.

Give it a try, it really enghances gaming experience. Warning, this is extremely unbalanced as default. To balance it the axis player must have an 8 ipc adv added on the board.

• @ezto:

Low Luck makes this game more interesting. It prevents silly things from happening such as losing 2 fighters to two transports. It makes the game more realistic. What are your insights?

maybe,

but still, all comes down to calculating then.
    I think it’s phenomenal to win or lose an important battle by die, but this is part of the game I WANT to play :-)
    I can believe some like “low luck” more then only “luck”
    but not me…
    I will still play with those little cubes I while longer!

• i like low luck in triplea when testing a strat to get an “average” outcome but the excitement of uncetainty in the wild random dice is more fun in an actual game.  i think of the odd results as the result of weather, espionage or whatnot

• I also don’t play much low luck, I normally prefer normal dice, I like crits idea that you can look at it as results of morale, spies and so forth.
    Still with normal dice, the better player will still get out of the game with a better win ratio.

But i need to get used to low luck right away, Im signed up for the DAAK low luck turney!

-Daniel

• I despise low luck, and will not play it.

Reasons covered in extreme detail in several Classic threads.

• but switch, you sure holler about dice alot :?

• Yes, and dice make good “table talk”

But, I am not reducing the game to a math question.

Nor am I going to make every 60% odds battle a “sure win”

• i agree 100%! the chance factor of the dice is what makes the game funner than chess :mrgreen:
    our group hoots and hollers over them dice more than over winning!

• It isn;t just the chance factor…

If I am playing, and I want to be “sure” of taking a given territory, I want odds of over 80%, preferably over 90%.

But in Low Luck, 60% is good enough… because it is low luck, the variable is only 1 unit per round maximum.  And if you just drop all fractions in your determination of forces, you will ALWAYS be fine.

In Low Luck, you can attack Territory A using X forces, knowing that X WILL ALWAYS be enough to take it.  And still ahve Y forces left to attack Territory B.

But in ADS… you are probably going to use X forces plus all or most (or at least some) of Y forces to get the odds of taking A up to over 90% (to give you a reasonable degree of certainty).  That means that Territory B will have to wait for NEXT round.

ADS makes play both more conservative AND allows for riskier combats to be attempted (if against the wall, you MIGHT try that 40% combat… but in Low Luck why bother, you are certain to lose).

In short, it makes the GAME more interesting by using random dice.

• 2007 AAR League

switch relies on luck to win. thats how he beat me… the espionage can also happen with low luck. thats where the luck comes in, but trust me no transport can beat 2 fighter squadron, no matter what kinda espionage you are talking about…

• maybe the spies put sugar in the airplanes gas tanks :lol:

• I do not rely on luck to win.  But I DO want there to be a random factor to keep players honest.

As for my game with you… you were building massed fleet in the Pacific, so was Japan.  The difference was that you were trying to project power 4 territories away, my power was adjacent to my Capital.  I also did not let you get away with any quick overloads of FIGs by making sure you never got to do a land-based/carrier based FIG exchange using Wake to allow you to double your FIG strength against my fleet.

And even with my Japan fleet build up, I was still sending Japan forces into Asia, while the US was not sending hardly anything to Europe.  Germany massed enough force in Africa to take and hold it.

The telling tale of that game was the final income posting that was made before you stopped participating in the game…
    Russia:  $24/16
    Germany:  $47/47
    UK:  $21/19
    Japan:  $49/49
    USA:  $44/38

You were relying on UK and Russia to quash Germany, yet Germany had superior revenue to the combined UK and USSR by more than 50%.  And Japan was superior to the US economy, and was building defensive navy against your offensive navy… much cheaper to do.

If you want a re-match at some point, and you are willing to commit to a move every 24 hours, I’ll be happy to fit you into my schedule :-)

• 2007 AAR League

i agree with switch and crit, low luck just turns the game into a math equation

• The low luck dice server reduces the number of possibilities in a game.  A blowout in a combat early on can steer a game into a direction no one saw coming before.

It forces more skill on the player to take into account these possibilities.

My rolling the past two games have been subpar to say the least, but overall I believe it makes for a better game.

I certainly get excited when rolling the dice for a big combat.  ANYTHING can happen, just as in my last big combat.  I got ruined.

• 2007 AAR League

You only got that strong with germany because you took england with crazy rolls.  I was forced to take it back, but by that time you had +30 ipc or so. It was lucky/outrageous rolls that got your win.

• Taking UK when you have only a couple of UK units is NOT crazy rolls.  That is taking advantage of a serious tactical error.

Checking the thread, you had 1 ARM, 1 ART, 2 INF, 1 AA in UK.  You moved your FIGs to a new carrier, and had that carrier somewhere other than SZ6 leaving the Baltic Fleet and unobstructed path to UK.  You flew you bomber to Sinkiang.

So I sailed in with the Baltic fleet, and dropped 1 INF and 1 ARM with my transport, and had 4 FIGs that could reach (from my Baltic AC and from Western) and my Germany bomber.

As Tri even posted in the game thread, I had a 66% chance of winning that battle;  which in LL, would be an AUTOMATIC win, EVERY time.

• 2007 AAR League

Okay, so shall e go at it? Low luck or LUCK :shining star:

• Kind of in the middle of the Tournament right now… ahve to take a rain check until afterwards.

• 2007 AAR League

Indeed

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m