• I’m wondering about Karelia. No matter what I do it seems to be captured on G1. Defending it is especially hard when I’m trying to attempt the West Russia stack. What would  be the best way to defend it?

• The best way?

Re-take it from Germany about turn 3 or 4 as the Allies.

Seriously… the BEST Russia can get there is 6 INF, 2 FIGs, 3 ARM.  And that would strip nearly all of Russia’s offensive power for the game.

Against that, Germany can send
    12 INF (Norway, Eastern, Bel, WR, 1 via TRN)
    1 ART (WR)
    6 ARM (Ger, East, Balk, WR, Ukraine)
    6 FIGs
    1 BOM

And if you pack that much of Russia’s might in Karelia on R1, you better beleive I am going to hammer it and detroy it.

• Ah. So the best way of defending it is to leave it. Cool.

• Remember, the goal of the game is to win.  Exchanging territories may help or hinder your ultimate goal.

Do not let a short term goal interfere with your long term objectives.

• this is why i like the victory cities held for an entire round (8), it changes the game from a sack the capital only scenario to other options without making it untenable for the allies like checking at the end of usa does

• I find that defending Karelia is pretty worthless with Russia.  The supply lines to Karelia are kind of long, and Germany can mass all of its forces there easily, and you’ll lose all of you offensive units.  I find that Karelia is a good place to attack/defend for UK, and if its held long enough it can be a linking area for UK, USSR, and maybe USA.

• Karelia isn’t of that much importance in first rounds of play…

Indeed,
    @yamamato456:

I find that defending Karelia is pretty worthless with Russia. The supply lines to Karelia are kind of long, and Germany can mass all of its forces there easily, and you’ll lose all of you offensive units. I find that Karelia is a good place to attack/defend for UK, and if its held long enough it can be a linking area for UK, USSR, and maybe USA.

By the time you get to round 3 or 4…
    allies can start trooping here and it is only as from then that Karelia begins to play a real important factor!
    UK can transport quite easily to Karelia by then and once they’ve got this territory, most likely UK offense will grow and breed there…
    Allies can work as a team and push G in turtle position once the allies established that important link…

• trying to hold Karalia with Russia is not smart unless Russia is rolling and Germany is crumbling.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m