• This is a “House Rule” that goes way back to my earliest days of A&A… the guy who taught me to play LOVED it for one particular piece… changing the Solomons Sub to a Transport…

Free Replacement:
    Prior to the start of the game, any player can change any existing unit for a unit of equal or lesser value in the same territory.  All trades are one for one (you can;t trade a BB for 3 subs) and must stay in the same starting area (so you can’t trade a Russian sub OFF Karelia for a tank IN Karelia.

This allows for minor board customization, with the penalty of losing net unit value by doing so (in most cases).

Thoughts?

• Yep i like it… It sure makes for more strategies, however it can be abused. IN fact I would exchange alot of german units just for infantry in russia, then buy a million tanks to get a jump on things.

• @Imperious:

Yep i like it… It sure makes for more strategies, however it can be abused. IN fact I would exchange alot of german units just for infantry in russia, then buy a million tanks to get a jump on things.

Why?

You can only trade one unit for one unit, and the unit has to go to same territory.  So why trade a tank for INF?  In Classic they defend the same, so you gain nothing there, but you lose offensive punch.  In Revised tanks are more powerful on defense so would be silly to convert them down.

You can’t use free replacement to add or subtract the number of units in a territory or sea zone… only change the type of unit to a cheaper type.

So, if you want to boost defense, you can trade Bombers for Fighters and Trannies for Subs.  If you want to bost your ability to move land forces, switch subs for trannies.  If you want to mobilize more AF on the seas, switch BB’s for AC’s.

But for land units… there is no practical free replacement that really makes sense from a combat point of view…

• OH i didnt understand the Full rules about it. I was thinking "take one territory and exchange everything into the same value of “other units” which i would exchange west russia all into infantry so Soviets could not take it. That fighter and tank would make for alot of infantry, and possibly prevent Soviets from taking it.

• I’ll take germany, and swap all my subs for tranports and send 6 inf and and the entire Luftwaffe into great britian on my first turn.

• Does anyone need more proof that for every move, there is a counter move?  LOL

No… Except when I have moved 30 Tanks Vs. 1 Infantry and that is all you got left

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m