• I just wanted to say thank you for everyone’s help so far and I hope you don’t mind me asking more questions! My partner and I have become quite addicted already after A&A was purchased as a christmas gift! Just coming off an addiction to diplomacy this game is much more 2 player friendly and this last game played over three weeks has probably coveredaround 40 hours of game time. However as we are still learning there is need to clear up some confusion. I was asking in regards to rockets for eg
    Germany developed rocket tech and started buliding and firing on Britain. Now 3 “rockets” were built in Norway 3 in Berlin and 3 in West E which meant 9 dice were rolled plus a SBR (which if he got a 4 or below he took 8 IPC’s from Britain) leaving Britain each round with zero IPC - now I’m assuming something is wrong with this picture!!

yes there is a problem… you may only fire one Rocket attack per enemy Factory… so in your example Norway Could fire at Russia, Southern Europe fires at Caucasus, and Germany fires at Britain… you may only use one rocket from each though…

GG

• You need to use Larry Harris Tournament Rules. They’re the official rules used in tournaments. The rules in the box are fundamentally flawed because of the way it deals with bombing and rockets.

Larry Harris Tournament Rules basically state that

a) A factory can only be targeted by one rocket per turn.
    b) Only one rocket can fire out of a territory, even if there are multiple AA guns in it
    c) The total amount of IPC damage inflicted (combined rocket damage and strategic bombing raid damage) cannot exceed the territory’s income value

This means that:

Only one rocket can hit the complex in London every turn.

Even if you have 2 rockets in Berlin, only one can fire. Thus, you cannot shoot at both the London complex and the Caucasus complex simply by having multiple guns in Berlin. You would need to have 3 AA guns in 3 different territories in order to strike London, Caucasus, and Moscow.

If you used bombers in conjunction with rockets, you still can’t go over the income value of the territory. You cannot lose 30 IPCs in one turn from someone bombing one of your complexes. You could lose say 16 total IPCs per turn if the Allies fully bombed both Berlin and Southern Europe in a turn, and that limit is only per turn so the US can follow up and do more damage even if the UK already reached his limit.

• and another question - If I cleared a sea zone with my planes would my ship be able to pass through it during non-combat?

• and another question - If I cleared a sea zone with my planes would my ship be able to pass through it during non-combat?

Yes. This is a key strategy to maneuvering your forces, especially when you’re Germany and the Allies think they can block your naval repositioning.

• ….and one last question - is it true you can only build the number of units you are supplied with? at the moment Germany has Battleships all over the board (borrowing other figures from russia and britain) but they only have 2 in the set
    thank you so much guys for helping out! You’ve made my boyfriends “victory” far less “victorious”!!

• is it true you can only build the number of units you are supplied with?

No, you can build any amount of any units that you can afford. It’s common to run out of some pieces, especially battleships and bombers since those are in short supply, but you can go ahead and build as many as you want, just keep track somehow like you’re doing with borrowing other nation’s units. The chips are there for a reason too, to help you denote multiple units with just one plastic figure.

• In addition to the white (1 units) and red (5 unit) chips, a few other ways to help out with massed land forces in your games…

In the past, I have used the territory markers to deonte 10 units for INF and ARM stacks.  In a REALLY big stack when chips are short, use a die and the number on top indicates the multiples of 10 for that stack (thus 1 die and 1 INF figure can represent 11, 21, 31, 41, 51, or 61 units)  Add in red and white chips and you can now get any number of units up to 70+ units represetned with a very small number of chips.
    EX:  A die reading 4 is placed on top of 1 red chip, 2 white chips, and is capped wtih an infantry figure.  The total number of infantry divisions in that stack is 48.

Piece borrowing form other nations is also a great way to help out with being short units.  For example, I often use Germany’s transports for my Japan navy.  Pretty easy to keep track of those grey ships in the Pacific and know that they are not German :-)  Just be careful to send the actual Japan trannies toward Africa since as they approach Europe they COULD then be confused with actual German pieces.

And last but not least… a second game is also a great source of units.  In my case, it is a new copy of Avalon Hill A&A and my old Milton Bradley 2nd Edition A&A.  Extra chips, extra units…  the only pieces that I do not have duplicates of are destroyers and artillery, since those did not exist in Classic.  But I certainly have more than enough Russian Battleships!  LOL

• Russian Battleships!

My God, Russian navy and bombers are utterly useless. Mr. Harris could have cut production costs down some and just not included them. If you build Russian navy, the game is over in one way or another; they just do not enter into the normal gameplay equation except if you’re already winning or if you want to lose…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m