October 22, 2014, 04:42:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Help support TripleA software development. Search me
  Articles  
   Home   Help Login Register AACalc  
Pages: « 1 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Experiences!  (Read 3519 times)
ncscswitch
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2006, 07:05:37 pm »

Here is one I am sure that every Revised player will appreciate...

My first game of Revised ever (and the archive is still on these boards...)
All-out German attack on Caucuses.

I think y'all can appreciate how badly THAT went smiley
Squash
A&A.org Artillery

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 01:10:33 am »

Wow, I had a really different first experience. We had a group of 5 people raring to go, but we had to wait till the weekend. We'd already pre-decided the teams, and my teammate and I (I was Japan, he was Axis) stayed up for hours the night before the match planning out our strategy. We searched the rules, and set up the board and played out a mock run of the first turn. It's scary how close to forum convention we came actually. Our first turn strategy was "Kill the allied navy." and we basically succeeded. We were all lousy at logistics, being a first game, but the Axis had the ships already, so we had a clear advantage. Axis took over every Allied capitol. In terms of mistakes, I think we only make one big one. We didn't know there were already fighters on the carriers at the beginning of round 1. WOOOOOOOPS! Mostly screwed me in hindsight, but that's okay.
Perry
2007 AAR League
A&A.org Battleship

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 01:27:58 am »

In my first game I played Russia (playing 2nd ed)
I was at first dismayed to see that all targets seemed well defended.
Then I saw it…
Sinkiang!

I attacked Sinkiang on R1, and took it.
By UK1, the tournament organizer comes, over, glances at our table and shouts:
“What the hell does a Russian armor & control marker do in Sinkiang!
After I haphazardly explain, he again proclaims, over the entire convention hall, at the top of his lungs:
“All right everybody, listen up! The game is played as the Allies vs the Axis! This is not a free-for-all!”

God, that was an embarrassing moment, if there ever was one. grin
Squash
A&A.org Artillery

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 08:03:16 am »

Dude, that's hilarious.
Perry
2007 AAR League
A&A.org Battleship

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2006, 04:07:14 am »

The tournament was played w/o bids. That would have made the game totally lopsided of course. Therefore – all newbies were given the Allies. All experienced players were given the Axis.

The Japanese player began saying something when I shoved my units into Sinkiang, but he was quickly hushed by the German.   grin
Do I have to say that we lost the game??
AJ
2007 AAR League
A&A.org Battleship

Hello

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2006, 10:47:39 am »

Submarines as Russia  cheesy
Dragoon_Blade
A&A.org Submarine

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2006, 02:41:12 pm »

The first time I played A&A there was five of us, and only two of us had played before.  I played as Britain and on Germany's first turn he attacked my battleship outside Gibraltar with four fighters and his submarine.  And my battleship sunk everything with only taking one hit from the submarine in the first round.  evil   

The Soviet Player just huddled in his terrorities, and when the United States player and I wanted him to attack, he would respond, 'no my units will die.'  The German player sunk the British fleet turn three with heavy bombers.  I bought Rockets and traded IPC with Germany using my bombers versus his heavy bombers.  The American player couldn't dedide whether he wanted to attack Germany or Japan.  The Japanese player matched the United States fleet in the Pacific.  We conceded, even though we still had the advantage...
way2slo
A&A.org Mechanized Infantry

Is it Caturday yet?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2006, 11:45:09 am »

I have no idea what version it was.  A friend of mine, Kurt, invited me over to play while he was downloading something over his 14.4 modem off of some ftp server somewhere.  Anyway, he was Axis and I was Allies.  I played the Russians by buying a mix of things.  I know I bought  fighters, not sure on how many tanks or infantry.  I played them aggressive.  Always attacking towards Germany.  I was not sure what to do with England or America so I bought tech and bombers.  eventually, both had Heavy Bombers and Long Range Aircraft and I kept doing Strategic Bombing Runs against Berlin.  The tide started to turn at that point because I would blast away most of his income leaving him a few IPC's for a handful of infantry.  I completely ignored anything that was not Europe.  I eventually lost due to the Magic 84 rule, I had forgotten about it, because I just let the axis control all of Africa and most of Asia.  That actually made me mad because I was sure I could have cracked into Berlin within a turn or two.  angry   I was practically knocking on the door with huge stacks of Russian units and I had a ton of US & UK bombers.  That and I had some amazing early rolls, I think.  He was a good sport about it and pointed out that if I had done Torch with the US I could have avoided it for a bit longer and probably would have won.  I literally had not touched/moved a single US or UK land unit the whole game.
Pages: « 1 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

2014 Support Drive
Support Level
Forum Username
Note: payee will appear as Livid Labs, LLC.
Buy Axis & Allies
  • Axis & Allies 1942 [Amazon]
  • A&A Pacific 1940 [Amazon]
  • A&A Europe 1940 [FMG]
  • [eBay]
  • [eBay]
  • A&A D-Day [Amazon]
  • A&A Battle of the Bulge [Amazon]
  • [eBay]
  • [eBay]
  • WWII Themed Combat Dice [FMG]

Axis and Allies.org Official Gold Sponsor: Field Marshal Games