• OK guys its been a long time, like since High School that Ive played ANY war games except the original Axis&Allies game(and even thats been years) but Ive played a bunch over the years. Panzer Blitz,Blitzkrieg,Squad leader, Follow me(anyone remember this game I find NO reference to it anywhere). This game looks interesting and seems simple enough so you can get right into it…only thing is I can’t find it anywhere locally…is on line the only place or where should I be looking to pick up a starter pack? I’m not thrilled about the “collector” part but also don’t want to get games where I have to spend a ton of $$$ and end up painting my own Minnie’s. Also are there any other decent newer WWII games out there that don’t cost a ton and are easy to learn?? asking because I’m asking for this Axis&Allies Mini game for a Christmas present and my Wife is saying…“I can’t find it anywhere.”

Oh and B4 I get the game…with it being collectable and all(you can’t get all the pieces you want or need without spending a ton) how hard is it to get enough pieces IF your trying to reenact at least if not a certain battle at least a era correct skirmish? In other words not having German SS guys and Japanese machine guns :)
    I don’t mind mixing certain troops like Italian and German or US/British(or even a Russian or 2) but if your trying to do say a skirmish in early 44 and all you have is a sherman and say a Panzer II well its just not realistic for the time frames(as the PzII was outdated heavily by then) so am I looking at the right game? I just don’t want to get it and be disappointed by not being able to play battles that are “realistic”.

• For me I have to buy A&A Mini’s at the local Comicbook Store.  I really haven’t seen it anywhere else.

As for other games… Another game (board game that isn’t collectable) that I hear a lot of people talk about is called Memoir '44.  Looks a little simple to me, but some folks I talk to are crazy about it.  You should be able to buy it at a Comicbook Store as well (or Amazon). OR, I noticed you mentioned Squad Leader, they have started redistributing that game.  You can get the basic set on Amazon.

• thanks for the quick reply! I did not think of Amazon. I know she buys stuff there :). I actually picked up one of the last batch of “new” squad leader" stuff back before they went out of print….I think it was at Toys are us of all places about 7-10 years ago ive not even played it yet :) just opened it to check to make sure it was all there :)

• Founder TripleA Admin

I, personally, think this game is great because it has both the possibilities and the impossibilities. Each unit has a country, stats, abilities, and a year. You can setup scenarios that are historical for a particular year. Historical prevents certain Allied and Axis faction from being on the same army (Japan cannot fight with Germany). Historical means that you set a particular year units that you are allowed to use in your armies.

As for the collectible nature, it is good and bad. Good because you have people constantly buying the game which means money for WotC which means more expansions and more nifty pieces. There also a growing community of players meaning that as time goes on it will be esier and easier to find players. The bad is the cost. But if you want, you can get around the cost.

Start by buying a starter. Then you can get on an eBay store and buy just the pieces you want. You can go in on a case with a friend and draft the rares and split up the other pieces and then fill in the blanks on eBay.

• Sounds good. I was just hoping that I could get a "realistic(no germans and Jappanese on same team :) )game going out of a stater and mabey 2 boosters or something. I don’t mind spending a little money but ive seen some outrageous prices on stuff like Tigers like over $25 at one place….at that point id have my 6 year old draw a tank on a piece of paper than use the stats in the game :). But seems like I should be able to get something going with a starter and a couple boosters.

• Founder TripleA Admin

$25 for a Tiger is outrageous!

Check out this thread for an A&A Minis price guide: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=5303.0

For a Tiger at most you should pay $13, on the low end it’s $5. Every box has a rare so as long as you are paying less than the cost of a booster I think you’re already ahead.

A starter and 2 boosters might be tough for a historical army. You should have enough for one Axis army and one Allied army. You’ll probably need to flesh it out on eBay. My eBay recommendation is to find a seller that has good “Buy It Now” prices on common and uncommon pieces.

• i will do that, thanks

• also, since I don’t have the rules and stuff and have not seen the question….are there rules for “hidden” units? Ive seen games where all the pieces are set up b4 play…even units that would otherwise not be seen becuase of LOS rules…just wondering b4 I buy…im thinking of getting the starter set B4 christmas and mabey have the wife buy me some boosters instead :). anyone started a list of house rules yet? for enhanced play? I mean in the original Axis&Allies games we had all kinds of house rules…paratroop units and everything. :)

• Founder TripleA Admin

No hidden units per se. There are paratroopers in Set II, coming out on Friday. Paratroopers get placed anywhere on the map at the end of any movement phase.

Paratrooper  - This unit doesn’t get placed on the map during deployment. At the end of any of your movement phases, you may deploy this unit on the map in any hex that isn’t adjacent to an enemy unit. It can’t move that phase.

• Yeah, when I got my first starter I had enough Germans to build a full German Army.  It took me a couple of boosters to be able to field a British or American army individually.  I have seen some people sell country associated units on eBay as well.  Like a British squad, etc… that might consist of a Officer, 2-3 rifles and a tank of some sort.  That might be a quick way to boost up a particular country that you are lacking units in.

• im to the point now were i have at least 6 of everything, i need to sell some of these, if i throw these things up on ebay as a bulk purchase would any of you guys be interested?

• Founder TripleA Admin

What do you have for sale? Anything from Set 2?

• hell no, allthough i have the whole set now and multiples of everything, NO! i am having to much fun with them for now. but for set 1 i have lots of tanks, butt loads of solders, an even larger butt load of MG and AT guns. i don’t like the Stewart so i thought i would sell all but 1 of them, making the total to be sold 28! i was going to sell some of my tigers too, but not for some crazy price, i got them in booster packs so i would sell them for a buck or two. I’m not sure if i want to do this yet, it is nice to see my table completely filled with little WWII minis. i have enough tanks that on my back dashboard of my car i have a little battle going on, a tiger 1 a SS panther 2 panzer IV’s and some solders going up against 4 sherman easy 8’s, 1 crusader, and lots of garand units. i know I’m a nerd, but its nice to see in the rear view mirror. :-D

• That’s ridiculous.

• yes, but so is spending hundreds of dollars for a bunch of plastic things. there is usually a cery fine line between ridiculous and fun.

• Somehow I think my wife sees it as more ridiculous than fun though…so it will be my little secret.  :roll:

Apart from local games store, what other places might have them…I know that Gamestops and EB stores sometimes carry Wizkids products, but I havent looked for A&A…what about ToysRus?

I live in Miami and you would figure that with 5 Million people living here there woulb be more game shops that a measly 3 or 4…

• miami has only 3 or 4 game shops!?!? wow that sucks i have more than that in a 6 block radius of my apartment here in chicago. i might be a good idea to open one of those up your self and make some money, plus youll never have to pay for gameing gear ever again. ou i like that.

• Yeah…i used to work for a WotC store here…the only one in south florida…it was open for about 4 to 5 years.

This is how it was put to me when I worked there:

“Although Miami has a large population, it is not one that has games in it’s culture. During the Summer, it is very hot and people make it to the beach and during the winter, the weather is very nice and people go out. We never get snowed in and bust out games like alot of folks up north…we always have another alternative.”

So because of that, we only have a few shops…I went to Tampa and Jax and saw ten times more stores…

I’m planning on moving out of here by sometime next year and I cant wait to see what is available. I became a serious gaming geek working for WotC…i know play 13+ CCGs, 12 or so RPG and 7or so mini games…well, atleast I used to at one time    :|

• I’m in no position to talk about how much money it’ll cost you.  I’ve already spent three figures on it, and let’s say that by the time set 3 or 4 rolls around, it’ll be up to four figures.  Unhealthy, I know.
    But, with what you said at first, I’m making it a point to get a complete set.  However many boosters I’ve bought to achieve this, I’ve come out with some extras that I wasn’t necessarily looking for.

• @AgentOrange:

I’m in no position to talk about how much money it’ll cost you.  I’ve already spent three figures on it, and let’s say that by the time set 3 or 4 rolls around, it’ll be up to four figures.  Unhealthy, I know.
    But, with what you said at first, I’m making it a point to get a complete set.  However many boosters I’ve bought to achieve this, I’ve come out with some extras that I wasn’t necessarily looking for.

yeah but when you have large amounts of these little palstic guys you can have larger games, or even multipl games at the same time. my buddy and i do that from time to time, we wil lhave 3 or 4 games going on at the same time with diff maps diff point levels and play as diff sides. its fun.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m