September 21, 2014, 04:10:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Do you live near Cincinnati? Join us this weekend for A&A Spring Gathering XI on April 5-6, 2013. Search me
  Articles  
   Home   Help Login Register AACalc  
Pages: 1 2 3 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to buy?  (Read 4352 times)
CBennett
A&A.org Infantry

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2005, 05:59:32 am »

OK guys its been a long time, like since High School that Ive played ANY war games except the original Axis&Allies game(and even thats been years) but Ive played a bunch over the years. Panzer Blitz,Blitzkrieg,Squad leader, Follow me(anyone remember this game I find NO reference to it anywhere). This game looks interesting and seems simple enough so you can get right into it...only thing is I can't find it anywhere locally......is on line the only place or where should I be looking to pick up a starter pack? I'm not thrilled about the "collector" part but also don't want to get games where I have to spend a ton of $$$ and end up painting my own Minnie's. Also are there any other decent newer WWII games out there that don't cost a ton and are easy to learn?? asking because I'm asking for this Axis&Allies Mini game for a Christmas present and my Wife is saying..."I can't find it anywhere."

Oh and B4 I get the game.....with it being collectable and all(you can't get all the pieces you want or need without spending a ton) how hard is it to get enough pieces IF your trying to reenact at least if not a certain battle at least a era correct skirmish? In other words not having German SS guys and Japanese machine guns Smiley
I don't mind mixing certain troops like Italian and German or US/British(or even a Russian or 2) but if your trying to do say a skirmish in early 44 and all you have is a sherman and say a Panzer II well its just not realistic for the time frames(as the PzII was outdated heavily by then) so am I looking at the right game? I just don't want to get it and be disappointed by not being able to play battles that are "realistic".

« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 06:10:11 am by CBennett » Logged
DFlynSqrl
A&A.org Mechanized Infantry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 06:08:30 am »

For me I have to buy A&A Mini's at the local Comicbook Store.  I really haven't seen it anywhere else. 

As for other games... Another game (board game that isn't collectable) that I hear a lot of people talk about is called Memoir '44.  Looks a little simple to me, but some folks I talk to are crazy about it.  You should be able to buy it at a Comicbook Store as well (or Amazon). OR, I noticed you mentioned Squad Leader, they have started redistributing that game.  You can get the basic set on Amazon.
CBennett
A&A.org Infantry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 06:14:27 am »

thanks for the quick reply! I did not think of Amazon. I know she buys stuff there Smiley. I actually picked up one of the last batch of "new" squad leader" stuff back before they went out of print....I think it was at Toys are us of all places about 7-10 years ago ive not even played it yet Smiley just opened it to check to make sure it was all there Smiley
djensen
Axis & Allies.org Founder
Administrator
A&A.org Battleship

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 01:29:09 pm »

I, personally, think this game is great because it has both the possibilities and the impossibilities. Each unit has a country, stats, abilities, and a year. You can setup scenarios that are historical for a particular year. Historical prevents certain Allied and Axis faction from being on the same army (Japan cannot fight with Germany). Historical means that you set a particular year units that you are allowed to use in your armies.

As for the collectible nature, it is good and bad. Good because you have people constantly buying the game which means money for WotC which means more expansions and more nifty pieces. There also a growing community of players meaning that as time goes on it will be esier and easier to find players. The bad is the cost. But if you want, you can get around the cost.

Start by buying a starter. Then you can get on an eBay store and buy just the pieces you want. You can go in on a case with a friend and draft the rares and split up the other pieces and then fill in the blanks on eBay.
CBennett
A&A.org Infantry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 02:45:35 pm »

Sounds good. I was just hoping that I could get a "realistic(no germans and Jappanese on same team Smiley )game going out of a stater and mabey 2 boosters or something. I don't mind spending a little money but ive seen some outrageous prices on stuff like Tigers like over $25 at one place....at that point id have my 6 year old draw a tank on a piece of paper than use the stats in the game Smiley. But seems like I should be able to get something going with a starter and a couple boosters.
djensen
Administrator
A&A.org Battleship

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 05:02:05 pm »

$25 for a Tiger is outrageous!

Check out this thread for an A&A Minis price guide: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=5303.0

For a Tiger at most you should pay $13, on the low end it's $5. Every box has a rare so as long as you are paying less than the cost of a booster I think you're already ahead.

A starter and 2 boosters might be tough for a historical army. You should have enough for one Axis army and one Allied army. You'll probably need to flesh it out on eBay. My eBay recommendation is to find a seller that has good "Buy It Now" prices on common and uncommon pieces.
CBennett
A&A.org Infantry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 05:45:46 pm »

i will do that, thanks
CBennett
A&A.org Infantry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 05:50:16 pm »

also, since I don't have the rules and stuff and have not seen the question....are there rules for "hidden" units? Ive seen games where all the pieces are set up b4 play.....even units that would otherwise not be seen becuase of LOS rules......just wondering b4 I buy...im thinking of getting the starter set B4 christmas and mabey have the wife buy me some boosters instead Smiley. anyone started a list of house rules yet? for enhanced play? I mean in the original Axis&Allies games we had all kinds of house rules...paratroop units and everything. Smiley
djensen
Administrator
A&A.org Battleship

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 06:58:57 pm »

No hidden units per se. There are paratroopers in Set II, coming out on Friday. Paratroopers get placed anywhere on the map at the end of any movement phase.

Paratrooper  - This unit doesn't get placed on the map during deployment. At the end of any of your movement phases, you may deploy this unit on the map in any hex that isn't adjacent to an enemy unit. It can't move that phase.
DFlynSqrl
A&A.org Mechanized Infantry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 08:04:32 am »

Yeah, when I got my first starter I had enough Germans to build a full German Army.  It took me a couple of boosters to be able to field a British or American army individually.  I have seen some people sell country associated units on eBay as well.  Like a British squad, etc... that might consist of a Officer, 2-3 rifles and a tank of some sort.  That might be a quick way to boost up a particular country that you are lacking units in.
Major Konings
A&A.org Artillery

One Shot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 02:44:09 am »

im to the point now were i have at least 6 of everything, i need to sell some of these, if i throw these things up on ebay as a bulk purchase would any of you guys be interested?
djensen
Administrator
A&A.org Battleship

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 01:34:22 pm »

What do you have for sale? Anything from Set 2?
Major Konings
A&A.org Artillery

One Shot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 11:56:40 pm »

hell no, allthough i have the whole set now and multiples of everything, NO! i am having to much fun with them for now. but for set 1 i have lots of tanks, butt loads of solders, an even larger butt load of MG and AT guns. i don't like the Stewart so i thought i would sell all but 1 of them, making the total to be sold 28! i was going to sell some of my tigers too, but not for some crazy price, i got them in booster packs so i would sell them for a buck or two. I'm not sure if i want to do this yet, it is nice to see my table completely filled with little WWII minis. i have enough tanks that on my back dashboard of my car i have a little battle going on, a tiger 1 a SS panther 2 panzer IV's and some solders going up against 4 sherman easy 8's, 1 crusader, and lots of garand units. i know I'm a nerd, but its nice to see in the rear view mirror. grin
General Di Caro
A&A.org Artillery

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 12:03:28 pm »

That's ridiculous.
Major Konings
A&A.org Artillery

One Shot

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 03:46:53 pm »

yes, but so is spending hundreds of dollars for a bunch of plastic things. there is usually a cery fine line between ridiculous and fun.
Pages: 1 2 3 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

2014 Support Drive
Support Level
Forum Username
Note: payee will appear as Livid Labs, LLC.
Buy Axis & Allies
  • Axis & Allies 1942 [Amazon]
  • A&A Pacific 1940 [Amazon]
  • A&A Europe 1940 [FMG]
  • [eBay]
  • [eBay]
  • A&A D-Day [Amazon]
  • A&A Battle of the Bulge [Amazon]
  • [eBay]
  • [eBay]
  • WWII Themed Combat Dice [FMG]

Axis and Allies.org Official Gold Sponsor: Field Marshal Games