• Hello all. Let me introduce myself, I am a 20-something Californian. I have been lurking on these boards for awhile now and have been playing A&A for several years now.

Back to the subject line:
    What does one do with the British fleet that starts off in sea zone 50? It seems as to wherever I move the fleet they are within range of the Japanese fleet that attacked sea zone 46 on the first turn. What do you all do?
    Thanks in advance.

• You leave it where it is! Two reasons:
    1. Diversion. Japan has to send a pretty powerful force all the way down there to get you if they want to kill you, and that can hurt Japan down the line when they need those ships in other places far, far away.

2. Stepping stone. Aussies buy fighters. Move fighters to Western Territories. Fly them to the Carrier. From there, fly them to India. India with fighters can really screw up Japan’s chances of a quick victory.

• USE US NAVAL POWER TO FORCE JAPAN INTO THE UPPER PACIFIC TO DEFEND GIVING TIME TO BRING THE UK FLAGSHIPS TO PORT. BUY DESTROYERS AND FRIGATES AND PREPARE TO PLAY CAT AND MOUSE WITH JAPAN (DON’T FORGET YOUR THE MOUSE). THE ALLIES ESP. UK MUST BEGIN TO ISLAND HOP TO FORCE THE JAP’S DOWN IN IPC’S (VP’S AGAIN). THE GAME SEEMS TO ME TO BE INHERENTLY FLAWED, IT IS MORE A SKIRMISH THAN ALL OUT WAR. THOUGH THAT IN MANY WAYS IS CLOSER TO HISTORY, THE JAPANESE THOUGHT BY DIALING THE US BACK WE WOULD EVENTUALLY LET MATERIAL INTEREST BRING US TO TRADE AND PEACE. YEAH RIGHT. WE ALL KNOW HOW THAT WENT FOR THE JAPANESE.

• I think that the actions shown in the Pacific (both historically and game wise) mirror the real life aspects of War and not a simple dress rehersal. Of course not even A&A:P can simulate intense island jungle fighting.

• Yes you’re right and that I guess is my problem. When you get right down to it the japanese were simply out of their minds . nevertheless the VP system is silly there has to be a better way to mimic historical goals. Japan did know it had to project enough power to make the U.S. (in their ninds) come to terms. The fact that we never would have done that is irrelevent though for Japan in history as in the game has a hard time doing much of anything but hang on in the face of U.S. industrial power.However the concept that china is worthless to the Japanese seems untrue to me . again I will close with a thought that through our new computer age you could easily create a scenario where all had the same map but had to discover for themselves where the enemy is making alliances all the more important etc. It better mirrors reality. What if we did not know what the other nation was producing necessarily or when and where? We all learned the rules before puberty when we played war in the woods, the key was not the most guys but the best, build good defenses and sneak up on the other guy find out what he’s doing and ambush him. Simple as this if you can’t ambush the outcome is solely tied to the card game war not real war strategy. Oh god I just ruined this damn game for myself AAAAGGGHHHHHH!!!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m