• Old school AA player just getting back into playing.  Downloaded Triple A and love it!
    Played a few games verse the Hard AI and feel like I am ready to take on some humans.

Back in the day Bids were big part of game leveling and keeping it fresh. Good Axis players would often go negative on the bid, but positive bids for the Axis were the norm.

What is typical for a Global 1940 game verse humans?  Bids play into the side selections at all?

Who do you think is favored in G 40 game?  I am not sure who is favored, I have not played enough.

What would be a good bid?  Want a competitive game.

Thanks!

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Bidding is a good way of choosing teams and compensating for the expectations of the players, since they may see one team as biased or not.

However, the game is pretty balanced in general play, with regular experience levels.  If you have any new players or even new-ish, its probably better to play without the bid because it changes what openers work well and which ones don’t.  Plus, many people dislike or don’t understand the bidding process, its better just to play on and let them develop their perceptions based on the group you play with.

On the other hand, if you are playing against pretty veteran players, a 3 team crush on Russia and/or deployment of waves and waves of Axis bombers can defeat the USSR, largely before the other Allies can bring any game-changing power to bear, so typical bids there range from 12-18.    A sub for the UK with med fleet is popular, since it lets you turn Taranto Raid into more of a blowout and they probably wont scramble if you bring it all.  Buying a few infantry here or there doesn’t tend to be game changing, so until you get those bids up to 16+, you may not see much compensatory effect, which can also be based on gameplay;  if Germany and Russia play optimally;  its a pretty hard-fought toss up to conquer Moscow by turn 7-8.    If they don’t, then the bid isn’t really necessary in the first place.

And in league play, our contributor AB Harris says that the Axis still wins over half their games even with a considerable allied bid (12-30), however you have to remember that AAA has unlimited play time and people tend to have a much more plodding, conservative gameplay style because they can play for as long as they like, whereas in live play, you’re getting 8-12 turns in max, and something or someone has to give, stalemated games in either setting can grind on for many, many turns and will likely only end by concession or total defeat…

• '16 '15 '10

On TripleA live 1-1 Global 2nd edition, don’t take Allies for less than 20 (bid to Allies).  Unless you don’t mind being Allies and losing.  The convention is to bid units, 1 unit per territory, on territories/seazones that start with Allied units.  Typically, players choose units that will strengthen UK1 attacks or G1 defenses (fig to Scotland, sub to sz98, etc).

The “G40 balanced mod” can be played w/o a bid, though there may be a small bid to one side or another to choose sides.

If you’re having trouble figuring out how to be competitive, you can watch other people’s games on the lobby and check out the game histories for ideas.

• Bidding is for losers…. let roll, bro!  If you can’t win without 30 bucks extra on the board, then go home.

• Zhukov….Bid units?  Elaborate, please.  What would be a typical bid?

• '16 '15 '10

The first player to bid starts with a high number (for Allies) then the next player bids a lower number, and this goes down auction style until the other player says “yours”.

So then you spend the bid amount on units that you place on the board prior to the first turn.  In TripleA you go to “Game Options” and give the nation you want the extra bid number…then when the game starts you’ll have the opportunity to buy units with the bid and place them before the 1st turn.

The best bid either strengthens the UK’s defenses against G1 attacks or strengthens UK attacks on UK1.  So a fighter to Scotland is great because it can be scrambled to sz 111 or sz 109 on G1 AND it can be used for any number of attacks on UK1.  A submarine to sz98 is extremely common because it’s a good idea (if it’s possible) for UK to attack the Italian units in sz97 on turn 1.

Other potential bids include extra Chinese units, extra Russian fighters (these can be flown into China on R1), extra British units in Africa (to attack Ethiopia or Tobruk on UK1, or just to strengthen Egypt’s defenses), and extra UK subs (110, 109, 106, 91 are all good places to put an extra sub).

If you got a 20 bid, imho a good bid would be fighter to Scotland, ss to 98, and an inf/art/mech somewhere else (sometimes it’s allowed to place an extra ANZAC inf in New Guinea which is good because it allows Allies to seize Dutch NG on turn 1…but others will place the extra unit on Alexandria or Egypt or Sudan or on the United Kingdom).

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@Curtmungus:

Bidding is for losers…. let it roll, bro!  If you can’t win without 30 bucks extra on the board, then go home.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@Karl7:

@Curtmungus:

Bidding is for losers…. let it roll, bro!  If you can’t win without 30 bucks extra on the board, then go home.

uh, ok, you ever even play G40 2nd against a real opponent?

• Playing online now.  Download Triple A.

• @Karl7:

@Karl7:

@Curtmungus:

uh, ok, you ever even play G40 2nd against a real opponent?

Dude, don’t even question me like that. I’ve been killing it at A&A probably while you were still playing Risk at mommy’s house and thinking “that’s a big game”…

Also, what’s with your pic?  Marx was a bad dude. Got it ALL wrong. You need to change it. Seriously.  Maybe Hugo Chavez would do you better given how presumptuous you are…

• Dude, don’t even question me like that. I’ve been killing it at A&A probably while you were still playing Risk at mommy’s house and thinking “that’s a big game”…

Also, what’s with your pic?  Marx was a bad dude. Got it ALL wrong. You need to change it. Seriously.  Maybe Hugo Chavez would do you better given how presumptuous you are…

First of all, lets keep this civil.  Second, I am interested to know what Allied strategies you employ and what Axis strategies you face.  In your group when does Germany attack Russia?  Has Sealion been attempted/feigned?  What round does Japan DOW? Most importantly, in your opinion, why are you successful as the Allies?  What is it that you do that others on this forum don’t that leads you to believe that no bid is necessary?  Sorry about the barrage of questions, but I am trying to understand your situation and why you believe that the game is balanced out of box.

• Sponsor

Looks like Gargantua has some competition for the title of axis&allies.org villain.

• @Young:

Looks like Gargantua has some competition for the title of axis&allies.org villain.

“Gargantua?”  What kind of name is that?  I trample on such little people!  The Lord Curtmungus will not be assailed.  I am a herald and ambassador of the TRUE AXIS AND ALLIES WAY OF LIFE!

All who question or detract from me only bring questions down upon themselves about whether they are truly dedicated to THE GAME.

• @Curtmungus:

@Young:

"Gargantua?"  What kind of name is that?  I trample on such little people!  The Lord Curtmungus will not be assailed.  I am a herald and ambassador of the TRUE AXIS AND ALLIES WAY OF LIFE!Â

All who question or detract from me only bring questions down upon themselves about whether they are truly dedicated to THE GAME.

Is this guy for real  :-D :-D :roll:

• Sponsor

@Curtmungus:

@Young:

“Gargantua?”  What kind of name is that?  I trample on such little people!  The Lord Curtmungus will not be assailed.  I am a herald and ambassador of the TRUE AXIS AND ALLIES WAY OF LIFE!

LOL

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@Curtmungus:

@Young:

“Gargantua?”  What kind of name is that?  I trample on such little people!  The Lord Curtmungus will not be assailed.  I am a herald and ambassador of the TRUE AXIS AND ALLIES WAY OF LIFE!

I’m gravely disappointed. What a puny post.

I expected the ayatollah of rockin rolla, a warrior of the wasteland, and instead… I get you???

…from your posts I can already see there has been too much violence, too much pain.   Just walk away… and there will be an end to the horror!

And even though you can run, you can’t hide from Gargantua!  I challenge you to a DUEL of fates and identities!  Fear is my ally!

What an honorable compromise!

And for those of you who don’t know. the wasteland has been and always will be MY domain!

• I back Gargantua vs that new guy. And like a true Benito, I will feast on his corpse after big brother Hitler/Gargantua kills him.

• Sponsor

< A&A.org’s Saint

• @Young:

< A&A.org’s Saint

Oh, saint young grasshopper, please have mercy on a lowly A&A player and by thy grace allow me to have good dice rolls.  :lol:

• @Gargantua:

@Curtmungus:

@Young:

“Gargantua?”  What kind of name is that?  I trample on such little people!  The Lord Curtmungus will not be assailed.  I am a herald and ambassador of the TRUE AXIS AND ALLIES WAY OF LIFE!

I’m gravely disappointed. What a puny post.

I expected the ayatollah of rockin rolla, a warrior of the wasteland, and instead… I get you???

…from your posts I can already see there has been too much violence, too much pain.   Just walk away… and there will be an end to the horror!

And even though you can run, you can’t hide from Gargantua!  I challenge you to a DUEL of fates and identities!  Fear is my ally!

What an honorable compromise!

And for those of you who don’t know. the wasteland has been and always will be MY domain!

What is the wasteland but thatched huts, where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll on the floor with the dogs… gibbets and crows for all of you!  :evil:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m