• Would it help Germany to have an IC in Southern Europe?  This would go along with an increased IPC house rule.

If I remember correctly, most A&A variants have an IC in Italy.

• Hi USA8

Perhaps an answer from me will prompt some others ….

A factory in SE does indeed feature in other variants. That then plays a significant role in the battle for the Med, for African and for the ME.

I would suggest that in 1941, however, all are distractions from Russia, where the war will be won or lost. The more a factory in SE sucks G investment south rather than east the less likely an axis victory. So be glad that danger has been removed! :roll:

Actually the same can often be true in the other variants. In 1940 Global, for example, Italy is easily suckered into thinking it has an independent role to play rebuilding the glories of the Roman Empire 8-) whereas can-openers against Russia are usually the best use of their dwindling resources. :cry:

That is my opinion, but need not be true against every opponent, for example a poor Russian player may not need Germany to bend every sinew on the eastern front. Nor with every set of house rules. Your suggested doubling of income but not industrial capacity means a SE factory would also allow Germany to build another unit, which would be an advantage worth having.

Have you played your first game yet?

Cheers
    PP

• Thanks, Private Panic.

I ordered some more units from HBG, so I am still waiting to play my first game.

With my IPC x2 house rule w/o double territory values, I was thinking that the IC in Italy could help Germany build at least one more infantry to go after Russia or protect France.  Maybe later in a game after Russia is out, Germany could also do some things in the Med.

Just some ideas…

• Once Russia is out G pours units south through the Caucasus …… :-o

When I decided I needed more units I decided instead to buy 1942.2, which is the next game up in the series. In terms of cost per unit this was much more cost effective. Not sure how much you have spent with HBG or whether it is too late to cancel the order, but you might want to consider that.

• I hear you about the non importance of Africa, vis a vis Russia, PP, but Germany needs the ability to build more units. Italy makes sense, as its ally and as an, historically, established industrial base. When I played, I always got frustrated by its maximum unit spend.

• My dear Witt, your excitable Italian blood is leading you to overstate Mussolini’s potential contribution in this variant. Or any variant in fact! :wink:

Calm down and allow your more rational English half to consider the fact that with OOB rules Germany starts with 12 ipcs and a max build in Berlin of 4 units. By the time it gets to 15 ipcs it is likely to have captured the factory in Caucasus or be wishing to build a more expensive tank on occassion.

BTW I am happy to play you at 1941 at any time, as it is the one variant where I may have the edge! When I see you in March perhaps? :-P

However, USA8 is doubling income but not factory capacity in his game, so I did recognise the value of an additional unit build capacity in Italy in my initial response. But it is the allies who need help, not the axis.

I am sure USA8 would enjoy us continuing to argue this so please do tell me I am wrong?  :-D

• You are wrong, my mistaken friend.

• Hehehe!

I knew it …… :-D

• Grabbed some popcorn.  Please continue.

Seriously, I am now leaning toward not having the IC in Italy now.  My goal is to keep the game moving fast and enjoying more income for purchasing.  The Caucuses IC that Germany will capture will give it more units to buy.  Thanks PP.

• Ahhh! So I was right! Take note Witt.  :-P

• Challenged accepted, Private.
    You are used to playing village folk. I am from the city. You are going down (like a girl) .

• You are correct. I am going down - to Hereford. Which I have only ever heard laughingly referred to as a city until now. But then Italy is only laughingly referred to as a country ……

Let us know how the game goes USA8.

• '17 '16

@USA8:

I ordered some more units from HBG, so I am still waiting to play my first game.Â

While you’re waiting on more OOB units from HBG, did you remember to order some Industrial Complexes from E-Bay?

• I just checked out e-bay.  Thanks.  Eventually, I might pick up 42.2 for extra units like Private Panic suggested.

• '17 '16

@USA8:

I just checked out e-bay.  Thanks.  Eventually, I might pick up 42.2 for extra units like Private Panic suggested.

Well I hope you scored some Industrial Complexes my friend.  I got 24 in my bin, so I’m sure to have plenty and never run out.

As for combining 1941 and 1942SE for units, I have done the same, plus a lot of extra OOB units on top of that from HBG so I really don’t use chips in my games (those that I have managed to put together).

Truth-be-told, I actually ditched most of my 1941 units after combining 41 with 42, because a lot of the 41 units are just wrong for the nation they represent (like Tiger Tanks for Japan… gone… Joseph Stalin tanks for America & England, gone… so forth, and so forth).  Mind you, being able to combine Tigers from 41 with Panthers from 42, and IS-2’s from 41 with T-34s from 42, those are pretty awesome things to be able to do.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m