1942.2 American Zero Turn: Allied bid alternative

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Brought this up in the 42.2 section, but wanted to post it here since it is a house rule suggestion.

American start:

Rather than giving a bid to the Allies, the game opens instead with the US player’s zero turn. Otherwise the set up is exactly the same as OOB. The game sequence is as follows…

US(0), Russia, Germany, UK, Japan, US(1), then on into the second round as normal.

Inverts the start conditions of the map for an Allied advantage game.
    If desired players now bid for the Axis side.

Balancing Option: Restricted opening for the US (without a combat phase, of the same sort used for Russia in Classic).

Thematically this change is meant to provide a more historical opening round for the 1942 timeline, and a greater potential for a dual front strategy by the Allies, by adjusting the start conditions in three key areas.

-China: instead of getting immediately swept by Japan, the Chinese can now consolidate to put up a more serious defense of the Asian interior.

-Pacific Theater: instead of being destroyed on J1, the US fleet at Pearl is now able to participate in the global contest (ex. moving to Solomon Islands for Guadalcanal, coordinating with the British around Australia etc).

-Atlantic Theater: instead of being sunk by German u boats, the Allies can put up a defense of their transports to develop an expeditionary force.

These three, combined with the zero turn purchase, allow the Allies/Americans to develop a credible response to the typical Axis center crush in a more reasonable amount of time.

Minor Victory: Axis hold 8 VCs, Allies hold 9 VCs.
    Major Victory: Axis hold 9 VCs, Allies hold 10 VCs.
    Total Victory: Hold 13 VCs/unconditional surrender

Below is a tripleA gamesave that simulates these conditions via edit mode.

1942 sec ed USA starts.tsvg

• '17 '16

Thanks for the file.
    I will certainly try it.

• '17

The US Zero Turn essentially gives the US a bid of 42 IPCs and lets them keep their Atlantic transports and Pearl Harbor fleet. After playing this game just 1x, I thought, wow, what a messed up game. Of course it didn’t help that I had already been playing Global 40 for at least 2 years.

I think this sounds like a reasonable way to balance the game. Now they can actually go somewhere with a fleet that protects transports. Otherwise, I’d rather play Global and collect 72 IPCs per turn after going to war and getting Brazil.

But even still, I think that if Germany buys nothing but tanks for 2 rounds, it could already be laying siege to Moscow.

• If Zero turn USA, then no bid as the USA will get to work with a large bonus and as far as I know, USA cannot go to war ever until turn 4 unless they are attacked or their allies are drawn into the war.

• @Ichabod:

The US Zero Turn essentially gives the US a bid of 42 IPCs and lets them keep their Atlantic transports and Pearl Harbor fleet. After playing this game just 1x, I thought, wow, what a messed up game. Of course it didn’t help that I had already been playing Global 40 for at least 2 years.

I think this sounds like a reasonable way to balance the game. Now they can actually go somewhere with a fleet that protects transports. Otherwise, I’d rather play Global and collect 72 IPCs per turn after going to war and getting Brazil.

But even still, I think that if Germany buys nothing but tanks for 2 rounds, it could already be laying siege to Moscow.

That was the only thought I came up with too. With Turn Zero USA, as long as no one is attacking US or their allies, Germany and Italy could smash USSR by the time USA can enter the war and then it still may be too late.

• '17

This is 1942.2, not Global 1942. The US starts at war.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m