• Just pice up this game. I was wondering what people have found to be the optimum number of players, and for >2 players how you divide up the countries.

• Welcome to the forum Booper.

I have never played Europe 40 on its own, but always combined with Pacific 40 to give a Global 40 game. But since you don’t have an answer let me suggest something.

I would say that a game of two players can be the most fun as each player gets so much more action. On the other hand more players equals more social interaction. So the optimum number of players depends on why you are playing.

However depending on how the game pans out Italy can find itself with little to do, so an Axis player doing both Germany and Italy might make sense. Provided the Axis player does not mind not having an ally to consult with.

UK, US and R all have a lot to do and justify three more players. France combined with any one of those.

That means four players might be good.

If 3 players combine US (which is slow to get into the game) with Russia (which might be less active as the game progresses).

Hope this helps.

• I like 4 players best. It’s a bit intense to play 1v2, because you’re on your own for a whole day while the others are helping each other. The downside is that Italy will have a smaller job. I think the pro outweighs the con here, especially if the Axis players are cooperating and Germany lets Italy help with its strategy. I think our distribution was:

1. Italy
    2. Germany
    3. USA + USSR (because USSR will decline and USA will increase in ‘interestingness’)
    4. UK + France

• What Ozymandiac said. This map is a great 4 player map. Have the more experienced players play U.S./USSR, for the allies, and Germany for the Axis. Europe is, IMO, one of the best maps of axis and allies. It isn’t nearly as complicated as the global version, and the U.S. gets to concentrate 100% on the European theater. I still wish there was a better staging area for America outside of Spain though. I’ve found that the only way the allies can win is to declare war on the true neutrals and for the U.S. to take Spain so that they have a constant shuck into Europe.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m