Clarification of amphibious assault rule

• In a scenario where the sea combat of an amphibious assault has failed (preventing any land units being offloaded from the attacking transports) the rules state that ‘any other units that were designated to participate in the land attack (including air units) must still conduct one round of land combat in a regular attack on the intended hostile territory before they can retreat.’ Does this mean that the other designated units can continue attacking for as many turns as they want or do the rules mean that they are only allowed to conduct one round of combat before they MUST retreat?

In my game I am currently playing I am doing an amphibious assault on Hawaii and obviously no overland units can participate in this battle since it is an island, so the only land units I could send to attack where by transport. However because I lost the sea combat my transports couldn’t land so the only thing I have left attacking Hawaii are air units. As we play the game that no air combat can take place unless at least one attacking ground unit is involved surely it follows that all attacking air units MUST retreat once the first round of combat is completed i.e. they can’t continue attacking on their own for as many rounds of combat as they want. This is because A) All naval units have already retreated so surely the air units must retreat with them and B) because if not this makes mockery of the amphibious assault rule as the attacking player can exploit this situation to destroy all defending units despite the fact that the main amphibious assault itself has failed and no land units are attacking. If the naval units retreat surely the air units committed to the land battle MUST also retreat after one round of combat.

• Welcome to the forum, Benny1940!

@Benny1940:

In a scenario where the sea combat of an amphibious assault has failed (preventing any land units being offloaded from the attacking transports) the rules state that ‘any other units that were designated to participate in the land attack (including air units) must still conduct one round of land combat in a regular attack on the intended hostile territory before they can retreat.’ Does this mean that the other designated units can continue attacking for as many turns as they want or do the rules mean that they are only allowed to conduct one round of combat before they MUST retreat?

No reason to doubt what is written clearly in the rules. They must conduct one round of land combat before they can retreat.  They can continue fighting of course.

@Benny1940:

In my game I am currently playing I am doing an amphibious assault on Hawaii and obviously no overland units can participate in this battle since it is an island, so the only land units I could send to attack where by transport. However because I lost the sea combat my transports couldn’t land so the only thing I have left attacking Hawaii are air units. As we play the game that no air combat can take place unless at least one attacking ground unit is involved surely it follows that all attacking air units MUST retreat once the first round of combat is completed i.e. they can’t continue attacking on their own for as many rounds of combat as they want. This is because A) All naval units have already retreated so surely the air units must retreat with them and B) because if not this makes mockery of the amphibious assault rule as the attacking player can exploit this situation to destroy all defending units despite the fact that the main amphibious assault itself has failed and no land units are attacking. If the naval units retreat surely the air units committed to the land battle MUST also retreat after one round of combat.

This is not covered by the rules. Of course you can house rule whatever you want.
    I am not sure whether you are only describing your house rules in this paragraph or if you have misunderstood some rules and have further rules questions.
    So please ask back …

HTH :-)

• using air only to kill stuff (landuints) is a very old method, and sometimes a good idea. It is certainly not an exploit tho.

I have seen the luftwaffe attack egypt alone, doing enough damage, so that the italians can take it after.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

“As we play the game that no air combat can take place unless at least one attacking ground unit is involved”

How do you blow up stranded bombers?  doesn’t it make perfect sense that the lone landed bomber defending at 1 should be strafed apart by attacking planes?  Except for integrating interceptions into SBR, there is no defined “air combat” air units function largely just like land units except with different move restrictions.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m